Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

On 6/9/2022 at 3:38 PM, Amazinmets73 said:

In this video, blue 19 (which I guess is you) is hanging out way too far ahead of the play. From 0:03 to 0:21, you are doing circles all around the neutral zone. You are making it hard for your team mates to head man it to you because you are too far away. From a puck carrier's perspective in their own zone, they have to pass it up through a lot of traffic and that gives the opposing team's defensemen a lot of time to read a pass going to you because of the distance. You are forcing your defenseman (or center) to bank it up the sides of the boards hard or make a very hard pass up the middle which can turn into an icing if you miss the pass. The three zone passes you see in the NHL are pretty rare. Most wingers will hang out in their zone when breaking out. Depending on skill level of the puck carrier, they might pass it up to you when you are hanging out between the center line and your blue line. But if that doesn't materialize, don't keep on going farther up. Skate back down into your zone and make yourself open for a pass.

At 0:49, not sure why white 00 didn't get a penalty call. You had not made contact with the puck and were hit from behind.

Edited by caveman27

Howdy,

2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

At 0:49, not sure why white 00 didn't get a penalty call. You had not made contact with the puck and were hit from behind.

I wondered about that one as well.  Maybe just a case of "you had a little bit of interference and then he gave you a little shove, all worked out in the end, play hockey"

Usually though as a ref, if someone knocks someone over away from the puck I'm going to call something.

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 5:42 PM, caveman27 said:

In this video, blue 19 (which I guess is you) is hanging out way too far ahead of the play. From 0:03 to 0:21, you are doing circles all around the neutral zone. You are making it hard for your team mates to head man it to you because you are too far away. From a puck carrier's perspective in their own zone, they have to pass it up through a lot of traffic and that gives the opposing team's defensemen a lot of time to read a pass going to you because of the distance. You are forcing your defenseman (or center) to bank it up the sides of the boards hard or make a very hard pass up the middle which can turn into an icing if you miss the pass. The three zone passes you see in the NHL are pretty rare. Most wingers will hang out in their zone when breaking out. Depending on skill level of the puck carrier, they might pass it up to you when you are hanging out between the center line and your blue line. But if that doesn't materialize, don't keep on going farther up. Skate back down into your zone and make yourself open for a pass.

Thank you, that makes sense. I'm a D but sometimes play forward. I do struggle with the positioning. 

I love, love, love seeing all your hard work over the years applied to games!  Nice hustle, solid puck protection.

I'll agree with the others, you definitely want to try to remain on the defensive side of the puck.  Get lower into the defensive zone to present yourself as an option between the hash marks and the blue line.  If you get the puck, take the first few strides to get the opponents into a defensive mode and either your center or opposite wing "should" be breaking out of the zone with speed.

Howdy,

On 8/6/2015 at 10:08 PM, Amazinmets73 said:

I'm 27 going on 28 and am planning to learn to play hockey with no experience. I've never skated save for a one hour juant on a local rink 3 years ago, never handled a stick, etc. Whats the potential cieling for someone with my background? I've spoken to some friends with hockey backgrounds and the general consensus is that achieving sufficient proficiency for even the lowest recreational league is a long shot.

So have you ever gone back to these friends and told them to suck it?

🙂

Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46, Took two years off due to family and work. Got back on the ice yesterday. Sore today, But man do i miss playing.