Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MeltingPlastic

Ordering Replacement Bauer Tongues

Hey Guys,

So my pair of custom Nexus 1000's have APX2 tongues on them and like a few posts i've seen on here, the guard cracked and I'm now getting bad lacebite on that foot. I've been using a bunga pad for now but would rather switch out tongues. On my old custom Flexlite 4.0 pros, i had the double felt supreme style tongue and would like to go back to that.

This style:

supreme-total-felt-tongue-front-jpg-1347

I called my LHS and they have yet to get back to me about ordering them. I'll probably talk to the Bauer reps that are usually at Checking For Charity next weekend while i'm there but figured if i get nowhere, some of the guys who order custom skates etc on here could help me.

Thanks.

I don't know if those are available for sale.

Too bad, they're badass.

I traded my x7.0 tongues to another member on here for his Supreme Bobby Clarke tongues. Love 'em.

I'm tempted to try my hand at making them.

Joe yes I use waxed laces, always have since Bantams. Never feel like my skates are tight with unwaxed after a few shifts.

The bunga pad does the job but I'd rather just have tongues that aren't shot. I should have gotten the supremes to begin with but was talked out of them by the rep stating the APX2s were a better tongue.

Not sure how much they cost. I saw the APR replacements were like $65 so I'm assuming they'll be ~$100 from Bauer but can't confirm that obviously. If it comes down to it I'll remove them from my flexlites and then put the APR ones on the flexlites so I have a functioning backup skate

you should look into the Nash Sniper tongue. I had them on my last pair of u+pros and loved them. felt was so thick, lacebite is just about impossible and they are comfortable as anything. I believe they are made by the same company that makes Step Steel

I tried to order tongues from Bauer for months for my NXGs. No dice, even after talking to both Bauer reps in my area. Ended up with some 705 tongues from Graf and I couldn't be happier. If memory serves they'll let you order 705 or 9035 tongues.

I'm not sure if its a well established shop but they have locations at 2 rinks with multiple Jr teams so they likely do enough custom ordering with Bauer that they can get it done.. They also ordered my custom Eagle gloves (as well as my skates) so I assumed they were able to order these for me.

The new tongues arrived today. I'm dropping the skates off at the cobbler this afternoon to get them swapped while I'm away on vacation this week.

My only concern so far is comparing them to my old Flexlites, they appear much thicker.. this may also be because the ones on the flexlites had 4 years of use to them so I'm hoping the added thickness will not cause volume issues.

Question - I bought the Vapor 1x skates but the tongue is way too thin.. I am going to add a Supreme felt as it's much thicker but I wonder how it will affect volume of the boot?

Question - I bought the Vapor 1x skates but the tongue is way too thin.. I am going to add a Supreme felt as it's much thicker but I wonder how it will affect volume of the boot?

It's going to reduce the volume and put more lace tension across the top of the foot. Was that a serious question?

Yes, it was serious, unfortunately... I've never swapped out tongues but all I know is that I can't stand the stock one on the 1x, just too thin and the plate down the middle is annoying IMO. I plan on sending my skates to George's in Minnesota and have them install their custom tongues:

1/2" felt backed leather faced re-inforced inbetween tongue replacents

http://www.hockeyrepair.com/gallery.html

Fair...that's certainly long enough. It took me a good 8 to 10 skates to feel really comfortable in them. For me having the tongue thick at the top and then narrowing down towards the bottom helped me get enough volume in the 1X to be able to wear them. I'm a fan of the Curv insert as a lace bite protector as it adds the forward flex for me. Good luck with your modification.

I have flat feet so I always need slightly more volume... I find the direct injection eyelets are slightly raised above the tongue which was cause for the lower tension over my forefoot, have you noticed that?