Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yan

poron xrd

Youtube has a lot of videos about this foam that Bauer used a few years ago in their helmets. Apparently, Rogers Corporation makes a range of these foams that have applications in foot protection, cell phone protection, insoles... It seems like this foam, if applied to hockey equipment, would make them much lighter, slimmer, and more protective. How come this foam isn't being used more in hockey?

My Bauer TotalOne NXG gloves also use the Poron Xrd foam

My guess is we don't see it more because I imagine Bauer would have licensed the stuff for their exclusive use

This. Also, if you look through the Bauer catalog you will see Poron in quite a few of their products.

It's not cheap either, but I would expect to see more of it filter through Bauer's lineup. I can see them experimenting with goal pads.

Flexorb (Poron blended with other materials, with segmentation) is used in all MX3 protective pieces, and the Reakt 100 helmet

Poron is used in all 190 protective, I believe, as well as the Reakt helmet

Not to mention flexorb is used in all their padded baselayer gear, including some slash guards and goalie knee pads

Flexorb, made in partnership with G Form, is exclusive to Bauer performance Sports

Press release link RE: Flexorb

In CCM new ultra tacks protective line they use a foam called D30 which seems to be similar if not better in comparison with the poron. Ccm has the patent for the hockey industry for the D30, but it's also used as cell phone protection and in military protective else where.

In CCM new ultra tacks protective line they use a foam called D30 which seems to be similar if not better in comparison with the poron. Ccm has the patent for the hockey industry for the D30, but it's also used as cell phone protection and in military protective else where.

They're a good competitor for sure. d3o is a more versatile material in my opinion, more expensive and also not as comfortable I find compared to a 'softer' foam like Poron is.