Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mremis

Anyone here still use a 2-Piece Stick?

I'm still using two piece sticks and am trying to avoid switching to one piece any time soon.

I just broke a blade on my AK-27 and am having difficulty finding replacement blades.

How are the other two piece stick users on here dealing with the change in the industry? It's getting tougher and tougher to find blades.

Nope, there's just no good reason to use two piece sticks anymore. Maybe if you're just starting out and haven't settled on a pattern yet, but after that there's no real advantage.

There are still some who cling to two-piece sticks. Most of those folks have stocked up on shafts and blades or scour the web for those few remaining out there, most likely thru eBay. I used to go back and forth between one and two piece sticks but it has just become too much of a pain to find blades for my remaining shafts. Also, I've been riding the clearance train for most of my one-piece sticks lately so it isn't like I'm spending any more than I was in the past.

It depends on what pattern you prefer. In the meantime it looks like True is going to make shafts and blades for at least the next year or so. They have a lot of the usual patterns. If you could switch to those, you could easily stock up to avoid running dry on what you like using again.

Personally, I had found it tricky to adapt to OPS, but I think I've recently figured out how to balance the blade with what for me have felt like too-light shafts, thanks to reading a lot of old posts on here.

If True's shafts and blades don't seem appealing, you could try BASE. They have almost every retail blade imaginable and you can order them either factory fused in a shaft, or as separate blades and shafts until you find exactly what feel you want. If you want to stick with classic standard tenon dimensions, then there are fewer pattern options, but I think BASE will make standard shafts if that's what you'd like to order, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

I use a OPS for ice & indoor roller hockey, but use a two piece for outdoor roller hockey. I'm down to my last wood tapered blade, and am thinking I'm gonna just pick up a Sher-Wood wood stick when this one dies.

I like a shorter, lower flex stick, and I use the Lidstrom/Getzlaf pattern. I usually need an intermediate stick in order to keep a lower flex after chopping it down appropriately. Finding an intermediate OPS with the Lids pattern can many times be a pain in the ass. This is where the 2 piece solution can come in and fill the gaps between finding those OPS. Plus an argument can be made based on price (as long as you're like me and don't break shafts very often). Buy a shaft for 100 bucks and then look for deals on quality blades like the Mako II on sale for 50 bucks and the savings start adding up pretty quickly. For a picky, low skilled player like me, the 2 piece solution still has a important role.

@tryandstopme, do you also prefer standard tenon? If so, True's HCR pattern is supposed to be close to if not a clone of the Getzlaf/Lidstrom. Their shafts are probably too stiff for what you like though. They lowest they make is 75. In that case you may be happier with BASE shafts.

I use both OPS and two piece sticks. Currently using the bauer mx3 blades and love them. Lightweight, durable, and great feel. I go back and forth on the various different shafts I own so no one shaft takes too much of a beating consistently. I wish more companies would come out with two piece options, as I hate having to pay top dollar for OPS sticks, and hate having to scrounge the clearance bins and pages to find a good stick for a reasonable price. I'd rather stick with a shaft I love and replace blades as needed.

im still using 2 piece too. tried TPS R10 ops and bauer mx3, just dont really like the weight and balance. i like bottom heavier stick so i'll stick with 2 piece. also since my budget is limited, i found that 2pc is less costly since i can just change the blade or shaft, when it break. the versatility of changing blade is preferable too. im still switching between lie 4.5, and 6 with different length.

btw, im still trying to find easton st blade (left) in zetterberg curve. is the mako 2 blade has the same build? mine is getting soft after 2 years use. for me its the best blade i ever had.

@tryandstopme, do you also prefer standard tenon? If so, True's HCR pattern is supposed to be close to if not a clone of the Getzlaf/Lidstrom. Their shafts are probably too stiff for what you like though. They lowest they make is 75. In that case you may be happier with BASE shafts.

Flip,

I prefer tapered, but can switch to standard if necessary. I've been able to pull together a decent stash of Mako II blades as a result of the big online stores putting them on clearance.

im still using 2 piece too. tried TPS R10 ops and bauer mx3, just dont really like the weight and balance. i like bottom heavier stick so i'll stick with 2 piece. also since my budget is limited, i found that 2pc is less costly since i can just change the blade or shaft, when it break. the versatility of changing blade is preferable too. im still switching between lie 4.5, and 6 with different length.

btw, im still trying to find easton st blade (left) in zetterberg curve. is the mako 2 blade has the same build? mine is getting soft after 2 years use. for me its the best blade i ever had.

Jazz,

I think that the Mako II blade is more along the lines of the SE16 heritage. If memory serves, the Mako II M5 blade is closer to the ST heritage.

I am a long time 2 piece user as well, and really liked using them. It is just too difficult to find the blades I like, and closeout/pro stock OPS are much more cost effective. I have gotten a couple Easton pro stock OPS in my preferred curve and flex this year (Sakic/Hall 100) for less than $100 each. I do have a bunch of shafts left over and would jump on a good deal on blades, but I can't justify spending $60 or so on a blade anymore.

Still using two piece exclusively, all Warrior shafts with Easton blades. Have to order blades off the internet and have yet to experience any problem there.

Love my BASE BC71 Malkin pro curve (was not listed on the blade table last I checked, but they will make it if you ask). I think BASE only makes tapered blades but do not quote me on that. I am a tapered 2 piece guy, so BASE is my go-to company for blades.

IW and HM always seem to have a healthy supply of blades too. I assume that you are in Canada, as the big US based trailers do not ship there.

https://www.facebook.com/BaseHockey/photos/pcb.924636777588321/924636580921674/?type=1&theater

I'm still using 2 piece setups. I have a decent stockpile of them, so it's hard to justify spending the cash on OPS just for beer league. I'm struggling to find tapered LH, p77 bades, though.

I only use 2-piece because I don't break shafts so for me it's very cost-effective to do the 2-piece route. I agree that it's getting harder to find blades though. The only ones I've seen in stores lately have been heavily discounted and it appears that stores are not replenishing their stock.

Still using two piece,,,,, used them off an on since the original Christian aluminum shafts. How many of the mid level one piece sticks are not true one piece - are they not in reality just factory epoxied two piece sticks? I'll keep using them until I cannot find blades anymore....

I was using a intermediate Warrior Dynasty tapered shaft to try out new blade patterns and it only cost me $55 from hockey monkey a few years ago. I ended up buying a second when it was further on sale and used it for pickup. While the original shaft is still going strong, the newer one broke on an uneventful face off not long ago after only a few months duty. I still have my other one but hunting around, when that one goes, I don't think I'll be able to find another. There are no intermediate shafts around anymore other than Bauers Supreme which is not tapered so would make all my saved blades useless.

I mainly use OPS, but liked having the option of the two piece to try different things, seeing as the market is obviously drying up for two pieces, I figure I'll just enjoy the one I still have and once it goes just say goodbye to the idea all together.

I was using a intermediate Warrior Dynasty tapered shaft to try out new blade patterns and it only cost me $55 from hockey monkey a few years ago. I ended up buying a second when it was further on sale and used it for pickup. While the original shaft is still going strong, the newer one broke on an uneventful face off not long ago after only a few months duty. I still have my other one but hunting around, when that one goes, I don't think I'll be able to find another. There are no intermediate shafts around anymore other than Bauers Supreme which is not tapered so would make all my saved blades useless.

I mainly use OPS, but liked having the option of the two piece to try different things, seeing as the market is obviously drying up for two pieces, I figure I'll just enjoy the one I still have and once it goes just say goodbye to the idea all together.

BASE will do tapered int. shafts though, right?

BASE will do tapered int. shafts though, right?

Their online ordering system doesn't have the option to select either a shaft or a replacement blade to add to your cart. I inquired about shafts and blades using their contact form on the site last week and haven't heard a response back as of yet.

Their online ordering system doesn't have the option to select either a shaft or a replacement blade to add to your cart. I inquired about shafts and blades using their contact form on the site last week and haven't heard a response back as of yet.

Call the BASE Hockey phone # 1 888-728-6977

Hit prompt 1 for Vancouver office. I usually ask for Drew, he has been helpful.

Call the BASE Hockey phone # 1 888-728-6977

Hit prompt 1 for Vancouver office. I usually ask for Drew, he has been helpful.

Cosmic,

Right, I'm not doubting that they offer it. I'm not on the market at the moment for a shaft or blade, but just wanted to peruse the options and prices for the future potentially.

It makes me think that they aren't really promoting those items if it isn't on their website. The fact that a) shafts and blades aren't showcased on the site, and aren't included as options for online ordering and b) there isn't at least a note on the site saying something like "we offer blades and shafts, but they are special order so please call us", leads me to think that they at worst want to dissuade those orders or are at best blasé about them.

I appreciate the info you gave and I'm going to file it away for the future when I'm more locked on about placing an order. Do you know the ballpark prices for shafts and replacement blades offhand?

Cosmic,

Right, I'm not doubting that they offer it. I'm not on the market at the moment for a shaft or blade, but just wanted to peruse the options and prices for the future potentially.

It makes me think that they aren't really promoting those items if it isn't on their website. The fact that a) shafts and blades aren't showcased on the site, and aren't included as options for online ordering and b) there isn't at least a note on the site saying something like "we offer blades and shafts, but they are special order so please call us", leads me to think that they at worst want to dissuade those orders or are at best blasé about them.

I appreciate the info you gave and I'm going to file it away for the future when I'm more locked on about placing an order. Do you know the ballpark prices for shafts and replacement blades offhand?

I actually think it is more of a case of them not being dedicated to making a website that is easy to order from, and them figuring, "Eh, they will call and just order by phone if they want it."

They do not have a system to order blades online, nor do they have the pattern I use listed (Malkin BC71 pro stock), but when I called, they were all too happy to take the order and deliver to me, without any effort to try to get me to go One Piece. I also have 21 email messages in a string with Drew, and another string or 2 with about 1-5 emails each in them. So yea, they are cool- just their website is subpar for the ease of use in ordering, that maybe we are accustomed to with TH, HM, IW, PH, HG, etc. Then, after you place the order, they send you a spec sheet similar to the Warrior pro spec sheets that they post on their Instagram, with all of the custom features that you selected, for you to check and confirm that they are about to make what you want.

I paid $60 per Supernatural blade. The Supernatural is thick, heavy, and stiff so I would not recommend it. It is sturdy as heck and is a tank, FWIW. I am going to get a couple of Nasty blades (thinnest, lightest, 2nd stiffest, according to Drew) for my next order, and just use the Supernaturals to build wrist strength off ice or as backups. I think shafts are $100-125.

I am good on shafts for awhile and I do not see myself breaking a shaft any time soon, so I doubt I will be buying any shafts from BASE. But, I am super picky on blade patterns, so I expect to buy many BC71 Malkin pros if they ever look like they are gonna be going outta style any time soon.

I actually think it is more of a case of them not being dedicated to making a website that is easy to order from, and them figuring, "Eh, they will call and just order by phone if they want it."

They do not have a system to order blades online, nor do they have the pattern I use listed (Malkin BC71 pro stock), but when I called, they were all too happy to take the order and deliver to me, without any effort to try to get me to go One Piece. I also have 21 email messages in a string with Drew, and another string or 2 with about 1-5 emails each in them. So yea, they are cool- just their website is subpar for the ease of use in ordering, that maybe we are accustomed to with TH, HM, IW, PH, HG, etc. Then, after you place the order, they send you a spec sheet similar to the Warrior pro spec sheets that they post on their Instagram, with all of the custom features that you selected, for you to check and confirm that they are about to make what you want.

I paid $60 per Supernatural blade. The Supernatural is thick, heavy, and stiff so I would not recommend it. It is sturdy as heck and is a tank, FWIW. I am going to get a couple of Nasty blades (thinnest, lightest, 2nd stiffest, according to Drew) for my next order, and just use the Supernaturals to build wrist strength off ice or as backups. I think shafts are $100-125.

I am good on shafts for awhile and I do not see myself breaking a shaft any time soon, so I doubt I will be buying any shafts from BASE. But, I am super picky on blade patterns, so I expect to buy many BC71 Malkin pros if they ever look like they are gonna be going outta style any time soon.

Cosmic,

Great information! Many thanks.

welcome...

Further, about the Supernatural blade, I should add, that receiving passes has never been easier. I have typically struggled with receiving passes cleanly, I think because I just never got any good at this when I played a long time ago. Because there is so much mass and volume on the Superautral blade, the puck just gets deadened as it arrives on my stick if I just try to stop the puck's momentum altogether, or goes where I want it to go if I angle the blade as I receive the pass and try to send the puck gently to where I will be skating with it. Sending passes seems easier as well- I read somewhere that Datsyuk uses a thick blade, which helps his passing, after I noticed the improvement. Stickhandling is forgiving too- either I am getting better, or I just feel comfortable with this log at the end of my stick, to bring the puck back and forth in front of a defender before picking a direction and trying to beat him to where I am going.

Shooting just requires way too much effort getting shots off of what feels like a log. I can still rip heavy wrist shots, but I have to shoot with all my might to get the velocity that I want, which tends to take away the ability to shoot accurately. With my previous stick (QR Pro), the blade was stiff, but not so stiff that I had this issue, so when I was in the slot and had time, I could usually shoot where I wanted. Not the case with the Supernatural tho- I just try to shoot quick and hard at the goalie, and hope that I am off by just enough to sneak it by him (which sometimes happens, but not often enough for my liking).

For example, if you check 0:20 of this video, I catch a pretty hard pass relatively decently, and seem to fire a perfectly placed shot, but I know that I do not even bother aiming with this blade- this one just happened to find the sweet spot right above the goalie pad, which was fine that time, but there are 100 shots just like this, that I shot right into the goalie, because if I aim for the open spots then I am liable to just shoot wide by a mile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXfcTOq-Kns

Drew warned me that this blade would be super stiff- I just thought I am such a beast that it could not possibly be too stiff for me. HAHA. I was wrong, but it has been interesting to see the unexpected advantages of the log at the end of the stick effect.