Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nyanad

Jetspeed 280 vs RBZ

Hello! I am looking to upgrade from my current x70 vapors which i absolutely hate.

I've tried on a pair of 280JS and they felt really good. But there's a huge discount on the RBZ's right now too, and they are almost the same in price. But i am worried they could be too stiff for me (5' 4'', 132 pounds, rather intermediate than advanced skater). Is there a big jump in stifness between those two? Which one should I get?

During our product refresher with CCM this past week, JS (skate product manager) mentioned that in terms of quality, the JS280 was right up there with the original RBZ. Now, obviously the RBZ boot is going to be stiffer, and that's one thing I've noticed, but the fit is also different. You need to try them both on.

Thanks, i think i will stick with the 280's if so, because the fit was good when i tried them on. Is baking going to make a big difference in their fit? Since it's the mid price range.

It definitely will. Moreso than your X70's did after baking. The 280's come with a layer of Action Form composite on the quarter package vs. just a regular tech mesh fabric and injected core, not to mention the ankle reinforcement which gives the Jetspeed line that heel lock that I haven't seen in another skate.

I'm taking my son (9yo, squirts) to TH this evening to try the 280s and RBZs on. He felt fine in the 270s before, but wanted to get him heat-moldable skates.

So what was the verdict?

Have some 290's being delivered for my daughter(10) today.

We went with the RBZs; even though he was a 2.0 in the 270s, he was swimming in the 2.0 280's. Clarino lining and hyperglide blades were positives in staying with RBZ; no eyelet problem after baking.

Also, saw my kid had high arch which didn't jive with the stock mid-arch CCM insoles, so TH threw in some SuperFeet Yellows for free. :)

290s look good as well.

So what was the verdict?

Have some 290's being delivered for my daughter(10) today.

Get them baked! Bought some 290's for my 11 year old last month... and they are stiff! Stiffer than the RBZ90's he was coming from. Baking locked his heel in and overall they seem to fit his foot much better than the RBZ90's. We did a handful of public skates to break them in before trying them out during practice. He had some comfort issues on the outsides of his feet where the tongue tucks next to the eyelets, but it subsided the more he skated... probably just had to do with how thick the felt is right now.

Get them baked! Bought some 290's for my 11 year old last month... and they are stiff! Stiffer than the RBZ90's he was coming from. Baking locked his heel in and overall they seem to fit his foot much better than the RBZ90's. We did a handful of public skates to break them in before trying them out during practice. He had some comfort issues on the outsides of his feet where the tongue tucks next to the eyelets, but it subsided the more he skated... probably just had to do with how thick the felt is right now.

Yep, always bake her skates(didn't her 28K's, because it was not recommended). We'll hit a few S&P and drop in's then next week, just to get them molded a bit more and her use to them & then we're back at it. Both her teams start practice first week of September.

Instead of opening a new thread I thought I'd ask this here. Anyone have a comparison between the 270 and the 280 in terms of heel lock, stiffness, and moldability? Thanks for any advise.