Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a komets fan

Mako II Skate/General Skate Questions

I've had my APXs for two years now and where the side of my ankle meets the skate (the boney part) is now resting on the plastic portion of the boot as all of the foam has been compressed/pushed away. I have a somewhat large, boney ankle but never had a problem with this in my X:60s or any previous Bauer skates. Trying on the 1X skates I could also feel my ankle hurting (this is after not skating for roughly three weeks so it's not like my ankle is irritated I don't think). That said, I do love how stiff the APX skate still is even after two years of wearing it where as my X:60s went soft after two years.

Anyway, my question is has anyone seen this or had a problem? Is the way Bauer is designing their skates simply not for my feet right for my feet anymore?

I'm leaning towards the Mako II skate given its comfort, but did have some concerns about how stiff it's going to be compared to other high end Bauer skates. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, I'm going from a Bauer 6 to a Easton 5.5. Are junior skates made cheaper/less stiff compared to senior skates? I've always wondered why they're so much cheaper but have yet to receive a good answer.

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps out.

I've seen this before, once it happens it is very hard to fix in a short time. The skin / muscles / ligaments / tendons in the affected area can become irritated and a rest until there is not pain is often not enough as a single skate can reflare the injury. Unless you can pad the area to remove the pressure from the joint, you have to wait until everything heals and this can sometimes take 6 weeks or more.

Your ankle joint isn't sitting in the ankle pocket as designed by the boot manufacturer, a lot of players have this issue. You need to find skates that suit your foot shape.

I won't enter the debate of boot stiffness except to say I'm not in favour of ultra stiff boots. Makos may be exactly what you need, I know a lot of very good players in them.

Junior skates are cheaper than their senior cousins so as to still attract the parent dollar, it's hard to justify spending $800+ on a skate that the little one will grow out of by the end of the year. In some brands you can't buy top end skates in juniors, most you can only buy certain models. Generally there is not a lot of difference between junior and their comparable senior models.

If you are concerned about throwing out $800 for mako 2 and that they are not stiff enough, then squeeze the skate at your LHS, relative to M8 and M7. If they are all equally stiff, then go M7 and then your gamble is cut in half financially. I suspect that the value is in the M7, then M8 and then Mako 2. I own Mako 2 skates- they're awesome but I think I'd be just as happy in M7 (+ $400 in my pocket).

I've had my APXs for two years now and where the side of my ankle meets the skate (the boney part) is now resting on the plastic portion of the boot as all of the foam has been compressed/pushed away. I have a somewhat large, boney ankle but never had a problem with this in my X:60s or any previous Bauer skates. Trying on the 1X skates I could also feel my ankle hurting (this is after not skating for roughly three weeks so it's not like my ankle is irritated I don't think). That said, I do love how stiff the APX skate still is even after two years of wearing it where as my X:60s went soft after two years.

Anyway, my question is has anyone seen this or had a problem? Is the way Bauer is designing their skates simply not for my feet right for my feet anymore?

I'm leaning towards the Mako II skate given its comfort, but did have some concerns about how stiff it's going to be compared to other high end Bauer skates. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, I'm going from a Bauer 6 to a Easton 5.5. Are junior skates made cheaper/less stiff compared to senior skates? I've always wondered why they're so much cheaper but have yet to receive a good answer.

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps out.

I've had problems with the Mako II skate's padding compressing where my navicular bone is, which caused a bony lump to form. I think skates are as stiff as the demographic they are built for; junior skates won't be as stiff as senior skates, otherwise the kids won't be able to flex them.

Makos are extremely stiff laterally, they offer as much support as any skate on the market. They are articulated to allow better forward flex and many people mistakenly believe that the ability to squeeze the sides together means that they are lacking in stiffness.

I haven't owned high end Bauer's in a long time, but I do own Mako 2's. I'd say they are as stiff, if not stiffer than my 7 year old top of the line Vapors. I did have a problem with one of the bones in my feet with them, but they are so moldable, I was able to fix it on my own with a boot punch. Best skates I've ever had on my feet, and I'm highly considering buying a pair of M7's for roller hockey.

i agree with chadd's opinion.

of course if you are over 210 pounds guy and have a great skating skills, you have to buy such ultra stiff skates which have composite material quartor package...

but i assume mako's ''stiffness'' what you call, is comptelety enough for everyone..