Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattsev

Bauer Supreme skate stiffness

I am curious if there is a difference in boot stiffness between the Bauer Supreme MX3, 190 and 180 skates. I know they all use the Curv Composite quarter package, but is the layup and manufacturing process of the boot different so that the higher end skates are stiffer?

Reason I ask is that I am looking to get new skates, and the Supreme line fits me best, and I'd like to go with a Curv composite upper because I hear it molds well to your foot after baking. However, due to recent injuries (left broken ankle, right broken kneecap), I'm finding I can't get deep into my stride like I used to, and I think I might benefit from a "less stiff" boot.

you posted twice... Supremes are not as stiff as vapors. MX3s vs. 190s are about the same in stiffness...

I believe the MX3's and the 190's are about the same stiffness while the 180's are slightly less stiff. I just got a new pair of 190's and they actually feel a little less stiff than my One100 LE's (2010).

To my understanding ..... mx3s and x1s are not as stiff as their 2nd tier family(x100s & 190s). Which as far as I know are the stiffest on the retail market.

Perhaps the MX3 and the 1X appear to be less stuff due to the injected lacing system. I recall reading JR's review of Bauer's 2014 catalog. I believe he wrote that the 180 boot was less stiff due to how it is layered.

In any event I definitely feel that my 190's are less stiff than my One100's despite the fact that I've skates in the One100's for several years. Those boots have retiained their stiffness.

Can't confirm if it is true, but I heard the newer models are not as stiff as the 2nd or 3rd gen of the composite. Skates still need to flex and they might have figured out that once a certain stiffness was reached, there really was no advantage gained to increase it.