Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattsev

Bauer Supreme skate stiffness

I am curious if there is a difference in boot stiffness between the Bauer Supreme MX3, 190 and 180 skates. I know they all use the Curv Composite quarter package, but is the layup and manufacturing process of the boot different so that the higher end skates are stiffer?

Reason I ask is that I am looking to get new skates, and the Supreme line fits me best, and I'd like to go with a Curv composite upper because I hear it molds well to your foot after baking. However, due to recent injuries (left broken ankle, right broken kneecap), I'm finding I can't get deep into my stride like I used to, and I think I might benefit from a "less stiff" boot.

I skated the One95's for a few years and found them to be very stiff. I bought a pair of 190's last year and they are stiff but not as stiff as my One95's were. The 190 for me is perfect.

im actually looking to buy a pair of Bauer supreme 160 LE skates. Im concerned about the stiffness as well. Does anyone have these or know what they would compare to? From personal experience i have had the older supreme one 70's (the black and yellow version) and they were plenty stiff for me. I've also tried a pair of Bauer Vapor Vapor X3.0 LE's and they were way too flimsy for me. Does anyone know what the Supreme 160's would compare to vs. the older supreme line i am referring to? Im assuming they are less stiff than the one 70's so if they were comparable to the 60's i may be OK. If they are comparable to lower models then they may be too flimsy for me.

im actually looking to buy a pair of Bauer supreme 160 LE skates. Im concerned about the stiffness as well. Does anyone have these or know what they would compare to? From personal experience i have had the older supreme one 70's (the black and yellow version) and they were plenty stiff for me. I've also tried a pair of Bauer Vapor Vapor X3.0 LE's and they were way too flimsy for me. Does anyone know what the Supreme 160's would compare to vs. the older supreme line i am referring to? Im assuming they are less stiff than the one 70's so if they were comparable to the 60's i may be OK. If they are comparable to lower models then they may be too flimsy for me.

I'm guessing the One.6

I am curious if there is a difference in boot stiffness between the Bauer Supreme MX3, 190 and 180 skates. I know they all use the Curv Composite quarter package, but is the layup and manufacturing process of the boot different so that the higher end skates are stiffer?

Reason I ask is that I am looking to get new skates, and the Supreme line fits me best, and I'd like to go with a Curv composite upper because I hear it molds well to your foot after baking. However, due to recent injuries (left broken ankle, right broken kneecap), I'm finding I can't get deep into my stride like I used to, and I think I might benefit from a "less stiff" boot.

I recently purchased the MX3s and compared them to the other two models as well. I found all three to be similarly stiff. In comparing them to the Vapor line for example, they were a little less stiff to me. I'd honestly suggest trying all three on if possible. You know the extent of your injuries. Trying them on is the only way to know what you're capable of skating in.

I was very unhappy with my 190's right after i bought them. The were really stiff and I felt like my feet were locked in concrete. I then stopped lacing them through the top eyelet and they became wonderful skates. I feel like these skate are too tall and not actually too stiff.

I don't know the exact material differences in boot construction between the Supreme and Vapor skates, but it could also be a combination of the boot height and depth that also contribute to how you perceive the stiffness. Because of the great wrap in the MX3s, plus they don't feel as tall to me, they don't feel as stiff. It could be a combination of a lot of factors to be honest.

^ The question wasn't supreme vs vapor stiffness

I tried the mx3, 190 and the 180. The 180 was definitely not as stiff. They say it's the same quarter but there has to be less layers because it was more flexible just with the typical hand squeeze test than the top 2 skates. Add in the difference in the tongue and liner and the active stiffness of the boot in ice is less than the 190 and mx3. The 190 had a curve metatarsal guard which adds stiffness to the tongue and changes the volume slightly over the mid foot. And it initially will feel like you can forward flex but that laser about 2-3 hours of ice time for me

Now it's fine - feels like the same

Forward flex and my vapors did. I don't know that I get the full benefit of the stiffer boot ie a better response but I don't think it hinders me in any way either.

The mx3 was just as stiff to me and again has a different tongue and liner. I did not try it on the ice because I didn't like the feel enough - it pinched my big toe and didn't lock in my heel enough. But stiffness wise very similar to the 190 maybe a bit stiffer - negligible IMO.