Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Custom skate lace bite. Superfeet the fix?

Did the skip 2nd eyelet thing and it felt better but surely enough by the end the pain in my ankle exceeded by stamina. The tounge isn't broken down, the boot is fine too. At this point I have a local shop saying they can mess with my tongue and make it go away which I'm not buying into and then superfeet

Troubleshooting by changing one variable at a time seems like a reasonable way to go. Good luck.

long term:

-replace the tongue with a thicker felt tongue.

There is a reason that manufacturers have largely abandoned felt tongues on everything but custom orders and it has nothing to do with cost. Thicker felt tongues just delay the problem, not prevent it.

I have a Supreme felt bobby Clarke tongue. There is no better tongue on the planet for lace bite

For getting lace bite, you are correct.

With the stiffer skates that are produced now, felt is just about the worst possible tongue you could use.

Get these...

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Lace_Bite_Gel_Pad/itm/9159-2/?mtx_id=0

They fix to your tongue with velcro (it fits secure), and I've had them on my mako2's for about 7 months after I started getting stupidly bad tendonitis and lace bite (on the point of rushing back to the room to rip my skates off. I was starting to get a growth as well.

These fixed it, not having to put an extra layer on like the bunga socks were better.. they don't fall out..

With the stiffer skates that are produced now, felt is just about the worst possible tongue you could use.

Which did you go with?

So you're suggesting a tongue change? Which tongue do you recommend?

Did the skip 2nd eyelet thing and it felt better but surely enough by the end the pain in my ankle exceeded by stamina. The tounge isn't broken down, the boot is fine too. At this point I have a local shop saying they can mess with my tongue and make it go away which I'm not buying into and then superfeet

Although Superfeet may take up some volume you may find the heel adjustment will make it less painful. I would also look at the pitch of the blade as if the boot is negative pitch and the blade neutral your still negative. The picture of your blade says to me your not on a slight forward pitch. I would try that as well so your not pressing the tongue on push off.

Although Superfeet may take up some volume you may find the heel adjustment will make it less painful. I would also look at the pitch of the blade as if the boot is negative pitch and the blade neutral your still negative. The picture of your blade says to me your not on a slight forward pitch. I would try that as well so your not pressing the tongue on push off.

You know that reminds me. When I first got my skates in I had them profile them. I had a medium forward pitch. That profile has never been redone so maybe with the lack of the pitch being its been at least 5 sharpenings it's at least contributing

Which did you go with?

I have the stock tongue on my Makos. I don't care for the overly stiff boots that Bauer makes.

So you're suggesting a tongue change? Which tongue do you recommend?

Something with a hard insert in the area where you get lace bite. You could also look into simply adding a hard material in that area on your existing tongue. However, it is likely that whatever you use will likely crease and/or break and you will be back in the same position eventually.

Less give

Energy has to go somewhere

Exactly, when the boot doesn't flex at all and your lace is tied tightly, there is no movement (only resistance) when your foot comes forward in your skating motion. When the contact point is one small spot, you are much, much more likely to get lace bite.

I've worn forsberg pads for a long time and I credit them for holding lace bite at bay and keeping me in my skates. After an intensive backward skating training session 2 days ago, the lace bite on my left foot was pretty bad - to the point I didn't think I would be skating again in the next 2 weeks at least. This morning I decided to make an extension similar to the 55 flex setup but using 3mm thick leather and some eyelets (total cost $3). Tied it onto my skates and skated tonight pain free, near the end of the session I took my forsberg pad off and was still pain free 30 minutes later.

So whilst I don't say it is the ultimate solution for lace bite, only time will tell this, a 55 flex or a similar design such as I did (I'll post a photo when my ph recharges) seems to be an effective answer. I have another training session tomorrow with similar drills, I will post again after this on how my lace bite is.

For what it's worth I have Bauer 1x skates and I was having a similar issue. I had the stock tongues switched out to Bauer Supreme Felt tongues and my issue was completely fixed.

Just saw this, I went through same thing with a pair of One95's felt good for the first month or two and once they were broke in I had crippling lace bite. I decided to go custom after that to get best fit and moved into Vapors and haven't had a single problem since...

My two cents but I would say the boot is too stiff for you or the cut of the boot and or flex point of the skate just doesn't work for you

As an update on using a flex 55 type setup and if it helps lace bite long term, it's now been 3 months since I fitted mine and I'm in either ice or inline boots up to 3 hours a day, 7 days a week . Still pain free, nothing else but the flex 55 on top of a stock tongue.

When my profile is fresh I don't have the problem but once it can tell it needs to be re done I get lace bite.

Then that says your sharpener is taking off to much heel or sharpening heel first with to much pressure! A lot of people look at issues with the skate...the tongue...I always check the profile and pitch first 90 % o the time thats it when there was no issue prior.