Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orzech

Bauer Vapor skates

Hello,

I'm just looking for a new skates and I have interested in new Vapor line, especially x600. My question is if anyone could tell me about these skates, if it's worth to buy it or better to buy skates from old Vapor line (or maybe Supreme? :) ). I cannot afford buying x700, but really like these skates, so at the moment I'm choosing between x600 and x500, but I'm open to other suggestions :D

Depends on the shape of your foot. If you have a "vapor-shape" foot, then you can consider the x600 vs x500 (or a clearance x70 or x80)....

If your feet don't fit a Vapor boot, then don't buy into Bauer's marketing mumbo-jumbo about them being for "explosive speed"

...if your feet are wider than that, try the Supremes or something from CCM.

I was using Supreme boot for 3 years but for the whole time i was feeling that it is just like too big, then realised that my foot may be this vapor-shape (toes a little bit wider than heel). I dont trust this marketing, just looking fitted skates and Bauer skates are most common here where i live :D

So now I'm just considering which will be better, just don't really know these new skates and I can't find any opinions of these.

If you're looking for a mid range Vapor, then I'd suggest that the x70 currently offers the best bang for your buck. No reason to pay an extra $100+ for what is essentially the same skate from the new line.

Opinions will vary based on our own foot shape...

...if Supremes were too big, then yes, Vapors are worth trying. Can you try any on locally?

..but if you can find the x80 on clearance, it's a much better skate for $200-250 than the x500 for $200 or the x600 for $299.
(If you wear between 10 and 12, Purehockey.com has some great prices on x70s, x80's, and x90's)

Tech mesh (instead of nylon mesh)

Fiber composite outsole (instead of TPU outsole)

LS2 runner (instead of S. Stainless runner)

48oz 3-pc tongue (instead of 40oz 2-piece tongue)

I will take a look on older line then, x70 and so :)

Yep, but i have to ride about 2 hours to a shop, so before I will go there I want to have a knowledge about some models of skates I could be interested in, and some models that are not worth trying just because of poor performance. That's why I'm asking :)

X600's aren't bad skates....but jumping up a model or two (or go back a model year to get the features a model or two higher) will give you better value for your money.

Almost every line has better and lesser versions...so you want to be familiar with the features that make higher tier skates better...rather than an entire model line.

You might also want to try out the Reebok RibCor or Jetspeed skates as well.

Try everything if the fit doesn't feel great. As long as you've driven two hours, you want to know what fits you!!!

Tech mesh (instead of nylon mesh)

Fiber composite outsole (instead of TPU outsole)

LS2 runner (instead of S. Stainless runner)

48oz 3-pc tongue (instead of 40oz 2-piece tongue)

This is how I ended up getting old stock X90's over the newer models. Since the fit being is generally the same, I could get more features for the same price by picking up last year's higher model over the current year's lower model.

Try everything if the fit doesn't feel great. As long as you've driven two hours, you want to know what fits you!!!

Agreed. Have them pull everything out, you might be surprised what might end up feeling best for your foot.

I just went through the same thing. I was looking at the x600/700's but I ended up finding the X90's on Purehockey and with the oct15 code right now you can get them in almost every size for 280 shipped. The x90's are basically the new X800's so they have all the great stuff that the high end skates have (except for the curv boot, but I like the tech mesh because it does give just a little.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

DH

Careful when experimenting with fits. That Supreme may have been the wrong size, not necessarily the wrong boot for your foot. Experimenting can be costly.

Best thing to do is spend some time trying them in, it's the only way you'll know for sure.

I just went through the same thing. I was looking at the x600/700's but I ended up finding the X90's on Purehockey and with the oct15 code right now you can get them in almost every size for 280 shipped. The x90's are basically the new X800's so they have all the great stuff that the high end skates have (except for the curv boot, but I like the tech mesh because it does give just a little.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

DH

What's the curv boot all about? I have the x90s which are broken and will have to be replaced one way or another. I know the 800s are the comp from a tier/price standpoint, but they have this new curv boot, right? Will that be a different fit/feel?

After trying on the the X800 and the 1x, it really depends on how much you play. The boot on the top three skates is REALLY stiff. It's not that it's a bad thing, but if you're only playing once a week it might not be worth it if you're not used to skating in such a stiff boot. That said, just trying them on, they're both pretty comfortable and the 1x's really blew me away in terms of comfort. Mostly because I think my expectations were fairly low. I can't ever justify spending more than $300 or so on skates (just me being cheap), so that's why I was trying to find the x90's or x100's so that I didn't have to pay full price.

As for fit, they fit almost exactly the same. I wear an 8D in my X90's and tried on the 8D in the 800's and 1x's and they all felt great. I think the biggest difference between them all is the boot and the tongue. The tongue on the 1x felt better than the 800, but I wouldn't say the 800 was bad, just not quite as nice as the 1x. If I were going to drop that kind of money on skates, I would definitely pick up the 1x's, but like I said before, I just can't justify that kind of money for skates.

Definitely try on the 800's, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with just how comfortable they are, especially if you're skating a couple times a week.

What's the curv boot all about? I have the x90s which are broken and will have to be replaced one way or another. I know the 800s are the comp from a tier/price standpoint, but they have this new curv boot, right? Will that be a different fit/feel?

Its not that new. Curv came out in 2011 or 2012 with the Supreme TotalOne/NXG and APX

It was on the 2013 APX2 and x100, 2014 Supreme MXG, and now on the 2015 1X and X900, and Nexus 8000.

Locally, I see a lot of Junior boys in Curv type boots. I see very few of my adult intermediate peers in them....and the advanced (A league) adults are more likely to be skating on something old and stitched with Custom+ holders/runners that they used in their own glory days.

Got it - I tried on the 800 and 900s. I guess they both have the curv construction. The 800 must not have as much material though because off the shelf it felt much softer and wrapped more easily whereas the 900 felt much stiffer and the fit was not as good m. Granted the baking will help with all that, but I don't know if I like the stiffness of the 900.

Sorry, I forgot the x800 has the same Curv as the x900/1x. I assumed they were tech mesh like the x7.0 and x90

I haven't skated them or anything similar.

Are the x900's significantly stiffer than the x800?? Interesting!

Yes I felt like they were much stiffer. I think there's less layers of material which is how they brought the price point of that boot down to put on the 800s. The 700s are tech mess and look to be the same as the x90 boot.

Got it - I tried on the 800 and 900s. I guess they both have the curv construction. The 800 must not have as much material though because off the shelf it felt much softer and wrapped more easily whereas the 900 felt much stiffer and the fit was not as good m. Granted the baking will help with all that, but I don't know if I like the stiffness of the 900.

Really, ah man, I wish my skates were a little more stiff. I have the X800 skates with some X900 upgrades on a store exclusive. Some people frown upon these store exclusives because they aren't the correct models depicted in their lineup. IMO, X800 skates without the full lightweight composite outsole is a dissappointment at that price point.

To the Op, like others have said, you probably would get better value looking for previous year models higher up in the chain. I myself was looking for APX2 but the LHS where I get my equipment didn't have my size.

Bauer has pretty much phased out the tech mesh on top end skates in favor of the curve composite. After having 40s and then 7.0s I went to a 1x. I ended up returning it and getting the x90s so that I could have a high end tech mesh. Not sure what I will end up doing when these go!!! ugh!!! I found the curve, for me, to be too stiff.

On 11/26/2015 at 9:49 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

Bauer has pretty much phased out the tech mesh on top end skates in favor of the curve composite. After having 40s and then 7.0s I went to a 1x. I ended up returning it and getting the x90s so that I could have a high end tech mesh. Not sure what I will end up doing when these go!!! ugh!!! I found the curve, for me, to be too stiff.

dkmiller,

Are you still in the x90s or have you moved into something else?  My beloved 7.0's are in need of replacement.  Tech mesh x700's seem like a step down from x7.0's and I'm nervous about moving into the x800 curv boot.  Wondering about peoples experiences moving from tech mesh to curv.  Thx!

8 minutes ago, TwoFour said:

dkmiller,

Are you still in the x90s or have you moved into something else?  My beloved 7.0's are in need of replacement.  Tech mesh x700's seem like a step down from x7.0's and I'm nervous about moving into the x800 curv boot.  Wondering about peoples experiences moving from tech mesh to curv.  Thx!

Still in my x90s.  This summer I am getting custom Nexus V-cut skates.  Tech mesh!!!

For "fun" I put together this animation in an attempt to show the potential fit differences between the X700 (tech mesh) and X800 (curv).   There may be little value in it but hey, at least I learned how to make an animated gif.  Anyone try both and feel much of a difference?

2pocrva.gif

17 hours ago, TwoFour said:

For "fun" I put together this animation in an attempt to show the potential fit differences between the X700 (tech mesh) and X800 (curv).   There may be little value in it but hey, at least I learned how to make an animated gif.  Anyone try both and feel much of a difference?

I too am interested in the difference between the x700 vs. x800.  if any...

Interesting. This makes it look like X700 has deeper instep and increased forward lean. Kind of goes against the common knowledge that each line of skates comes in uniform boot cut and fit profile. This can be pretty confusing if one would blindly "upgrade" model, to find that the skate fit completely different.

I tried both and was much more comfortable in the x800 than the x700. I also prefer a stiffer boot and skip the top eyelet. Did not notice the difference in profile when trying them on. Happily paid the small premium, for an item I use weekly and last for years.

I am a bit of an "upright" skater which I'm trying to correct, I wonder if that's in part why the x800s felt better to me? They look more upright in the animated gif, which looks pretty significant.