Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCATMAN

Curves and flex profiles - Advice wanted

Hi All,

Im considering picking up a Bauer 1N with the P28 curve. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a toe curve with a mid-kick stick?

This also leads to the main question I had. Do some curves suit certain flex profiles better? For example, does a heel curve suit mid kick? Does toe curve suit low kick? I figure its all personal preference but I'm keen to know if there is anything specific to certain combinations thats worth considering.

Thanks in advance!

I would always say flex then curve are the two most important factors when figuring out what to have for your stick. It mostly depends on how you shoot and what type of player you are. Low kick generally has a faster release with less power (maybe a winger/sniper) vs Mid kick that has more power with a slower release (slap shots/defender). As long as you can shoot properly and control your shot, kick point wont matter. The 1N has a more fluid mid-kick point as opposed to the high mid of the Supreme series. Are you dead set on the P-28? Thats a pretty intense curve.

I would always say flex then curve are the two most important factors when figuring out what to have for your stick. It mostly depends on how you shoot and what type of player you are. Low kick generally has a faster release with less power (maybe a winger/sniper) vs Mid kick that has more power with a slower release (slap shots/defender). As long as you can shoot properly and control your shot, kick point wont matter. The 1N has a more fluid mid-kick point as opposed to the high mid of the Supreme series. Are you dead set on the P-28? Thats a pretty intense curve.

Yep pretty keen on the P28 style. I had a game last night using a friends E28 curve on his V9E and on a Synergy. The V9E definitely felt better shooting but the synergy had a much better feel with passing and would still shoot alright but it just felt different. P28 and E28 are very similar from what I read so thats why I was asking about it on the 1N.

When using a toe curve, I tend to use a stiffer stick. Mostly because of the motion I need to use to get the most out of the pattern.

The E28 is a bit longer than the P28 but other than that they're basically the same. I would certainly choose Bauer over Easton. Easton has terrible durability, a guy on my team would break one almost each week. Stiffer stick would benefit you as well, as you're going to be using that big toe as sort of a diving board to help flex the stick and generate power, you'll want the extra material that comes with a stiffer flex. As to the 1N, certainly a shooters stick, a little stiffer than other Nexus' had been but thats a welcome change as they tended to flex out faster. They have the Power Sense core blade now which allows for the same puck feel out of a 1X, without the unbalanced lightness. I'm a big fan of the 1N, all the necessary changes were made to separate it from the disaster that was the 8000. Maybe check out your LHS and see if they have a 1N with a P28 to test shoot. I'll guarantee if you liked it on a V9E you'll love it on a 1N.

The E28 is a bit longer than the P28 but other than that they're basically the same. I would certainly choose Bauer over Easton. Easton has terrible durability, a guy on my team would break one almost each week. Stiffer stick would benefit you as well, as you're going to be using that big toe as sort of a diving board to help flex the stick and generate power, you'll want the extra material that comes with a stiffer flex. As to the 1N, certainly a shooters stick, a little stiffer than other Nexus' had been but thats a welcome change as they tended to flex out faster. They have the Power Sense core blade now which allows for the same puck feel out of a 1X, without the unbalanced lightness. I'm a big fan of the 1N, all the necessary changes were made to separate it from the disaster that was the 8000. Maybe check out your LHS and see if they have a 1N with a P28 to test shoot. I'll guarantee if you liked it on a V9E you'll love it on a 1N.

Hey dude,

I use intermediate sticks. I have a Mako2 E28 and just purchased a N8000 intermediate P28. I actually find the P28 has a longer blade (at least in the intermediate size).

Other then that i love my N8000 even with the longer blade.

Thanks for the info guys. I've almost exclusively used low kick sticks until this year and I decided to mix it up and try different styles to see if something else suits me better. I've ordered a Bauer 1N P28 and a True A5.2 TC3 and will report back once I've had a few games with them. Only other stick on my list after those is a Supreme MX3 (or the new one due soon)

How come when I try and flex a retail 102 in the shop it takes me a considerable amount of effort but when I try and flex my APX2SE (it might be a prostock? Here's a pic) that's a 95 flex and it's been cut down about an inch and a quarter, I can get more bend with about the same amount of force?

Thanks for the info guys. I've almost exclusively used low kick sticks until this year and I decided to mix it up and try different styles to see if something else suits me better. I've ordered a Bauer 1N P28 and a True A5.2 TC3 and will report back once I've had a few games with them. Only other stick on my list after those is a Supreme MX3 (or the new one due soon)

Scatman, I'm very interested in what you have to say about the Bauer 1N P28, whether you like it or not and how it shoots. What flex did you get? I was thinking on getting the same but with a 75 flex or maybe an Easton CX ST E28 75 flex or even maybe a Warrior QR Pro W71 pattern in a 75 flex. Still undecided for my new season twig.

I have the pro stock vatanen curve which seems to be identical to the retail e28/p28. it's an apx in a 87 flex. Coming from a p92/sakic curve, etc. it's a good shooters stick. easy stick handling, more toe than mid compared to the p92. I have to be more concious of rolling my wrists to keep the shots down and the shooting motion to get the most out of the curve is a bit different from previous. it works best with the snap shot style wristers for me.

personally I prefer the p92 /sakic in a low lie mid better but that's because I play d more often than not. I have a bit more control with it and it's more versatile for me compared to the p28 /e28.

the e28 patterns seems to work best for a specific style of shooting. if I were playing forward I'd use the curve, but once again, this is personal preference and experience. I'd probably do in flex to a 77/75 since low kick sticks feels like they play stiffer to me... but I grew up playing two piece sticks

Patterns are for much more than shooting. Your curve needs to fit your entire game not just your shot. I've used P91a, Backstrom pro curve, P88, P92, P92 lie 5, P38, E28, P87a, P29 and more. The P28 is an E28 clone. After years of messing around I finally settled on a P92 lie 6. Why after all that? It wasn't just for shooting. These factors came into play

*Deflections, does the curve re direct well? Do the pucks go where they need to go? E28 was just too much toe curve for it

*Board play, can I be a left shot on the right side and come on fast to scoop a puck off the boards on the backhand without a problem? Again the E28 was too much toe for it

*Passing, sending and receiving... Does the puck stay on the blade and or can you send a quick saucer pass well

*Defensive play

Shooting can be a big factor but I think people focus too much on that and not the rest of the game. I can fire absolute lazers with the kreps, I can still backhand effectively and pass but if I'm down low and grab a puck can I take it and shelf it on the back hand in close? Hockey is a game of seconds and sometimes what you can do the best and the quickest matters the most because all it takes is a poke check, stick lift or something to get in the way and the play can be spoiled.

Given all the combinations possible between pattern, lie, flex and flex profile and stick length there are pros and cons of course. I've tweaked all of the factors for years using high kicks, mids and lows, pro stock and retail and it's important to look at the whole picture. How the stick plays in a game is VERY different than how it plays just shooting around or in a cage.

Evaluate what type of player you are and what you hope to do on the ice in the game, the stick should make your style better, you shouldn't have to work to earn your sticks specs and take what is said on the Internet with a grain of salt because I have lists of pros stick specs for days that would have you shaking your head at how they contradict the info you find.