Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boo10

Frankenfoot

Apparently I've got a bit of a frankenfoot, since I can't find a skate that fits me properly. I've tried Vapor, Supreme, U+CL, Jetspeed, 20K and RBZ. I basically feel like I probably need the forefoot of a Vapor, instep of Jetspeed (maybe even Nexus) and the heel of a U+.

The U+ was the only skate that didn't hurt my heels when I get into a deep knee bend.

I'm an old dude that grew up in leather skates and the ones that fit me best were Daoust 301 and Micron Mega 10-90. Any suggestions?

VH Footwear. But, if you're not ready to spend $900, then I'd recommend an Easton Mako or a Graf classic series boot because it'll be the most customizable retail boot for your foot.

Yeah, I've been thinking about VH for a long time, but I'm a little concerned that they may be too stiff. I hate the trend towards ultra stiff boots. Do VH or Makos feel more like a traditional leather boot?

They're going to feel less like ski boots than most modern top of the line skates. They have stiffness where you want it and flexibility where it's needed.

You won't find a traditional leather boot feel/fit unless you go with Graf (in terms of modern brands)... or you can search ebay and buy the "classic" skates (if they're even available). The Mako is more like a hybrid. Offers SOME customization similar to a leather boot and also offers SOME of the stiffness of a modern skate. The Mako is a good skate in it own right and the possibly the best solution for those who want a shoe-like fit, but may not have the funds to go fully custom. I highly, highly recommend trying it out in store if you can. Don't just arbitrarily buy any more skates. Spend a lot of time in them and see if they'll fit your foot with minimum discomfort and optimal function for your needs.

If you feel that you can't find that perfect retail boot (like me, despite my best efforts, retail fit my feet very poorly), then I'd recommend going custom (either through a popular brand--except Graf... because they seem to be running on fumes and not doing custom retail orders-- or through the lesser known VH Footwear).

For the record, I've gone with custom VHs and don't plan on ever buying a retail skate ever again. These skates are the best fitting skates I've ever had the pleasure of owning. However, I can't fully recommend them because they'll be stiffer than the Makos.

I bought I don't even know how many pairs of skates trying to find something that didn't hurt to skate in. Finally said enough was enough and went mako (which were brand new at the time). Smartest decision I ever made. Or, it was at the time.

Then I started playing goal and since there are no Mako goalie skates, I went straight to VH. Now THAT was the best decision I ever made. If I ever plan to skate out in a league again I'll absolutely be buying VH player skates.

Yes, they're stiff. But they're not ski boot stiff with a set shape. They mould around your foot so well they're like an extension of your foot.

Thanks guys. I've been looking for some Makos to try on, but haven't found any locally. What's most frustrating is skates feel great for 30 minutes in store, then skating is a painful experience. I've been playing hockey for 40 years and am an exceptional skater, so not being able to buy a pair that fits makes me feel like an idiot. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I never had skate problems up until about 8 years ago. I also have a very normal looking foot, so just baffled by the fit problems I'm having.

boo10,

I'm drinking. So listen as so.

I've been playing icehockey for 20 years. It's half of yours. But also I felt similar thing as you felt that "super stiff boots not fit for me".

I've been using VH boots for 2years. I also felt that this was too stiff for me, I couldn't skate enough with these. I can understand what you felt. But I want to ask you to try it. If it wouldn't bend itself, please try contour its steel more rounder. I've solved the problem as so.

Custom things are there for solve another issue which we can't solve with retail products include heat molding boots.. Current retail products are very great. I've also experienced non and heat moldable boots. That was amazing revolution. But it can't defy physical laws. It can't solve simple volume issue.

I think it's the best of important thing that no pain, no issue. If you feel more want, it is worse than pain, I think.

So I want to recommend you to try VH if you have special foot.

Thanks guys. I've been looking for some Makos to try on, but haven't found any locally. What's most frustrating is skates feel great for 30 minutes in store, then skating is a painful experience. I've been playing hockey for 40 years and am an exceptional skater, so not being able to buy a pair that fits makes me feel like an idiot. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I never had skate problems up until about 8 years ago. I also have a very normal looking foot, so just baffled by the fit problems I'm having.

Yup, I hear you. All the skates I tried on felt amazing in the store but absolutely destroyed my feet on the ice. Mako honestly hurt for maybe 2 games, just because I have one foot bigger than the other and the tighter skate took a couple games for the foams to break in a bit more. I had my right toes a bit jammed for two games. But I imagine somebody who has two of the same size feet won't experience that. But, other than that, absolutely zero pain in Makos.

Just make sure you bake them. With the makos the baking isn't just an optional step to break in your boots faster, it's completely required in order to get a proper fit. You likely won't even be able to get them on your feet before baking them. I know I couldn't!

Well, I guess I'll just have to convince my wife that I need a custom pair of VH skates! :). Maybe with blue holders like my old Micron Mega 10-90's that I've been pining for, for the last 10 years. Damn I miss those skates!

Well, I guess I'll just have to convince my wife that I need a custom pair of VH skates! :). Maybe with blue holders like my old Micron Mega 10-90's that I've been pining for, for the last 10 years. Damn I miss those skates!

One of us! One of us!

Worth every penny man :)

Same problem here- my doctor says my foot is perfectly normal/ average, and yet, nothing fits. How is that? I think that the companies have not figured a boot yet for the perfectly normal/ average foot. Even Mako, which is the only boot that does not cause me debilitating pain, is too narrow in the middle (but otherwise works perfectly).

Let us know if you need any assistance with the VH options or ordering process. Depending on your location in Canada you may also have an authorized dealer close by.