Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jratcl13

Prostock Phil Kessel Easton S19's

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this thread, but just seen that prostockhockey.com have just got a bunch of new sticks in stock, one batch of those being some Easton S19 P.Kessel's in a few different flex ratings.

http://www.prostockhockey.com/sticks/player/right-phil-kessel-s19-85-flex-stick-1/

I know a few guys i play with go mad for S19's, so im sure there are some guys on here that will use them.

I saw those too, was considering picking one up but I saw the lie was 3.5. It would be fun to try and shoot with his stick being how light in flex they are. You can see why he can get so much on his shot so quickly, similar to ovie.

I saw those too, was considering picking one up but I saw the lie was 3.5. It would be fun to try and shoot with his stick being how light in flex they are. You can see why he can get so much on his shot so quickly, similar to ovie.

Must admit, that put me off a little. Still ended up ordering 2, ordered Friday afternoon and arrived in the UK Monday, really happy.

As for the lie, it does seem pretty low BUT ill see how they feel come Saturday!

85 flex isn't an incredibly light flex for pro sticks these days is it? There are a lot of guys who use that flex and don't come close to Kessel or Ovechkin in their shooting threat. It's got to be the player's technique.

Yeah 85 isn't but they have even lower flex s19s of his on there as well. I'm guessing they made him a bunch to try out. And yeah of course their technique is what makes them great, just pointing out how they both use softer sticks than most nhl players.

Yeah 85 isn't but they have even lower flex s19s of his on there as well. I'm guessing they made him a bunch to try out. And yeah of course their technique is what makes them great, just pointing out how they both use softer sticks than most nhl players.

Aha, I didn't see the lower flex Kessels on there.

Thanks for the pictures Mimizk, it's much easier to see the rocker there. I'd love to try that pattern if it were mirrored for us lefties.

Thanks for the pictures Mimizk, it's much easier to see the rocker there. I'd love to try that pattern if it were mirrored for us lefties.

Now I'm waiting my 3rd custom Elliptical Tapered sticks. It will arrive maybe this year's end.

But if I couldn't be satisfied with it, I'm thinking that I will order left hand Kessel pattern for next order.

Kessel usually using 80flex for 66-3/8". So now I'm waiting for the same stiffness sticks in relative for me, 80flex for 60-3/8".

In former posts, someone wrote that the great shots come from player's technique. Also I agree. But Ovechkin can shoot his unique blind shot with Crosby's stick (flat blade and stiffest shaft)? Of course almost people can't shoot as same as ovi if people have his pro stock stick. But equipment is not such small factor. Why Ovi can shoot from such behind puck position? It's because his blade has enough angle for it. It will be waste if we get left hand Keesel pattern without suitable flex..

Now I'm waiting my 3rd custom Elliptical Tapered sticks. It will arrive maybe this year's end.

But if I couldn't be satisfied with it, I'm thinking that I will order left hand Kessel pattern for next order.

Kessel usually using 80flex for 66-3/8". So now I'm waiting for the same stiffness sticks in relative for me, 80flex for 60-3/8".

In former posts, someone wrote that the great shots come from player's technique. Also I agree. But Ovechkin can shoot his unique blind shot with Crosby's stick (flat blade and stiffest shaft)? Of course almost people can't shoot as same as ovi if people have his pro stock stick. But equipment is not such small factor. Why Ovi can shoot from such behind puck position? It's because his blade has enough angle for it. It will be waste if we get left hand Keesel pattern without suitable flex..

There are a lot of interesting questions involved. I don't think I know the answer exactly. I'd agree that the shaft whippiness and blade face are tailored by Kessel and Ovy, as well as others like Brett Hull, whose blade and whippy shaft also went with his shooting. But I wouldn't think the tempting things I see in Kessel's pattern as wasted if they were matched with a mid-flex and potentially stiffer shaft. In my mind, Kessel's pattern looks a lot like an E28 with some very subtle changes: it's just more consistent in blade height from heel to toe, rockered at both the heel instead of just at the toe, and with a second curve that is a little softer and more towards the middle of the blade's length than the E28. The E28 is a similar pick-and-fling type face, with a nice rocker for that kind of release, but it is used by lots of different players with different shaft stiffnesses and flex profiles.

There are a lot of interesting questions involved. I don't think I know the answer exactly. I'd agree that the shaft whippiness and blade face are tailored by Kessel and Ovy, as well as others like Brett Hull, whose blade and whippy shaft also went with his shooting. But I wouldn't think the tempting things I see in Kessel's pattern as wasted if they were matched with a mid-flex and potentially stiffer shaft. In my mind, Kessel's pattern looks a lot like an E28 with some very subtle changes: it's just more consistent in blade height from heel to toe, rockered at both the heel instead of just at the toe, and with a second curve that is a little softer and more towards the middle of the blade's length than the E28. The E28 is a similar pick-and-fling type face, with a nice rocker for that kind of release, but it is used by lots of different players with different shaft stiffnesses and flex profiles.

This is just my sense though,

When I got the Kessel blade I felt as that this pattern is made from heel curve + mid curve. E28 seems as a kind of toe curve for me because its part from heel to mid area is almost straight. But Kessel's are hooked from just a heel. Very angled from the beginning point. Then after 2nd curve comes at mid section. The point is little over from exact center of the blade but I think it was center if Kessel's blade was not so small or short as this. This blade is very short. I don't have enough confidence to play with this short blade if I would get...

Sorry I don't know how do I have to say though, Kessel blade losing balance of toe rocker (include lie angle) and curve amount. In ordinary thinking, much curve need much toe rocker for grounding. But Kessel blade is made by small number lie angle and also not have normal toe rocker. This unbalance help to shoot with such flex.

This is the newest video of Phil Kessel on youtube though, this flexing is really unusual. Of course there are other players who use much flex but Kessel is truly special.

I get what you're saying. I've just thought of the E28 as a heel-and-toe curve, just like you describe Kessel's as a heel-and-mid curve. The E28 may not be quite as curved from the heel, and I take your word on that because I've only seen Kessel blades in pictures. I don't get what you mean about the toe rocker on Kessel's blades though. It looks like it might not be quite as extreme as the E28's toe rocker, but it looks pretty heavily rockered in general.

I've had three of Kessel's sticks...an RS, S19, and now a V9E. All felt roughly 80 flex. The lie, from my eyes and comparisons, is around 4.5/5ish. The best comparison I can make is to a PM9/P4 (which I believe he broke into the league using) with a slight open toe. I wouldn't compare it to an E28. Very enjoyable stick and curve though. I had to cut them an inch or so longer than my other sticks to accommodate the lower lie, but now enjoy carrying the puck further from the body with the extra reach.

I saw these sticks on pro stock hockey as well. I've been going back and forth to the pro stock site but still trying to make up my mind and pull the trigger. The one thing that did strike me was the lie being a 3.5. That seems really low. But Pro stock has about 70 of these sticks in stock so plenty of time to make up my mind I guess. Did anyone purchase one of these sticks from Pro stock hockey?

I saw these sticks on pro stock hockey as well. I've been going back and forth to the pro stock site but still trying to make up my mind and pull the trigger. The one thing that did strike me was the lie being a 3.5. That seems really low. But Pro stock has about 70 of these sticks in stock so plenty of time to make up my mind I guess. Did anyone purchase one of these sticks from Pro stock hockey?

Actually ended up getting 2, 80 & 85 flex. Seemed silly to pay all the postage to the UK to just get one stick.. haha.

Not used it on ice yet, but had a bit of shooting practice off a pad and so far so good. Will update you once i use it tomorrow.

Actually ended up getting 2, 80 & 85 flex. Seemed silly to pay all the postage to the UK to just get one stick.. haha.

Not used it on ice yet, but had a bit of shooting practice off a pad and so far so good. Will update you once i use it tomorrow.

So how did the Kessel stick perform out on the ice for you?

So how did the Kessel stick perform out on the ice for you?

Took a bit of getting used to the lie, found my shooting in-stride was alot more consistent which was nice. Normal wristers and snappers felt similar to my EK15, in a positive way. Only used it for and hour and a half, so still getting used to it. But initial impressions are great.