Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

The 2015-16 Suspension Thread

11 hours ago, adam14 said:

He didn't write those statements, it's what they said in the video breakdown of each hit. 

And yes international I believe is automatic 10 minute misconduct at minimum for head contact 

Teach me not to follow the link, apologies.  But analysis is still valid, just because those two hits have commonalities doesn't mean they don't also have differences that warrant different outcomes.

Howdy,

I'm pretty conflicted about Letang's suspension.  As a Pens fan, its obviously a good thing for the team, etc.  But as a general hockey fan, it seems like they really missed a chance to send a message.  What a freaking stupid thing to have done, particularly the day after Orpik's suspension.

The only way I can see it being justified is that Maatta is out w/injury and Johansson isn't.  Not sure that's the best way to determine penalties though, presuming they're supposed to be deterrents.

Mark

here's the thing though, it's not illegal to explode up into a hit though I think it should be. Ovechkin used to do it almost every time he checked someone. it is illegal to leave your feet before the hit. the rule book calls it charging.

Letang only did 2 things wrong: 1) the hit was late and I'm sure how late it was factored into how long he would be suspended 2) though he wasn't aiming for the head he did make contact with MoJo's head. I've always like Orpik but his hit was WAY later and with the elbow extended he was aiming for the head. both players got exactly the suspensions they deserved.

I wonder if Polak will get in any hot water for the punch/shove to the linesman at the end of the game. Stripes got his finger pointed up in Polaks face just as the camera cut away. 

No penalty was assessed on the play, I wouldn't expect a suspension. Maybe a fine, if they want to look like they're doing their jobs, but it looks like the situation has largely avoided media scrutiny of any kind.