Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockeylifestyle

Pain after a few clappers (question)

Age? Arthritis, latent rsi, nerve issue (as bolt91 suggested). A few of the older guys I know have touches of arthritis in the shoulders, wrists or hands and suffer similar symptoms at various stages during shooting practices.

That sounds like a nerve issue (being an EMT and having nerve issues myself). Could be something to get checked out.

Could it be that I lift too heavy weights that my wrists can't handle. I'm 15 by the way. This just started this year

Age? Arthritis, latent rsi, nerve issue (as bolt91 suggested). A few of the older guys I know have touches of arthritis in the shoulders, wrists or hands and suffer similar symptoms at various stages during shooting practices.

I don't know if its arthritis but im 15. So?

It may be that the stick is too stiff. Try dropping down in flex.

I would definitely suggest this. Also make sure you're exercising and lifting weights correctly so you don't injure yourself.

What flex are you using now?

I have a similar issue with getting a sharp pain through my wrist on the top on the inside of my left wrist when shooting in warm ups. I'm 28 and use a 77 flex stick and 6'2 200 lbs. I have found taping helps but doesn't totally fix it. This only happens with hockey as I play slopitch as well and have never had an issue when batting. I was thinking about this today when playing around with a stick that maybe it has to do with the lie of the stick? I use a 6 but I always have but just wondering if may it causing my hands to come up to high on wrist shots that maybe it's putting to much strain on the wrist? I shoot right. Any thoughts?

I've seen tendonitis in the elbow and shoulder from sticks that were too stiff. A lighter flex and potentially changing your shooting motion may help out. Sometimes you need to change things to work better with your body instead of what "the book" says.

I am using a 100 flex, i have been using it for years

And you are 15? That kind of says a lot in the first place unless you were exceptionally well developed from an early age.......

Yeah I'm about to be 16 and I have been using a 95-100 flex since i was early 14

It's worth a shot to try a lower flex stick. See if you can get one on clearance or from a member here.

My first thought when considering this problem is that you may be absorbing too much energy from the flex of the stick. Not enough of the power you're generating is transferring to the puck. This could be a result of improper form. Make sure arms are straight, nearly locked, and away from the body during your swing. Allow your hips and toes to finish square to your target. Keep bottom hand relaxed until making contact with the puck.

Also I agree with the suggestions that the stick may be too stiff. That's a possible cause.

Yeah I'm about to be 16 and I have been using a 95-100 flex since i was early 14

That is probably at least part of the cause of your issues.