Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kyleo29

How often do you replace helmets?

So ive had the same bauer 5100 for about 6 years. No cracks in the shell. Foam is getting hard though. Was thinking about getting a new one only because i cant help but think that after that long theres got to be crazy amounts of bacteria trapped in that foam. Am i right? Or does drying and washing with soap kill all of it

Given that's its a 5100 I'd just replace it.

As to when to replace a bucky I'd say it depends on your level of play. Helmets have micro-polymers between the shell and foam, big impacts can damage those polymers which impairs the helmet's ability to protect your head (as do hardening foams). When I was younger I'd buy a new bucky every 8 months to a year depending on how much abuse I'd take. Now that I just play beer league I'll wait until the CSA certification expires, until the foams harden, or until it gets dank.

Yes I realize that's an extreme way of looking at helmet safety but after a pretty severe conky I'd much rather spend a few extra bucks to do as much as I can to protect my head.

I rocked the Bauer 5000 from high school all the way up until two years ago. What made me finally retire it was getting cross-checked across the face hard enough that it ripped my mask out of the helmet.

I'd say wait until the foam hardens, falls out, or the helmet becomes uncomfortable. Sounds like the foam has hardened in your case, so maybe it's time for a new one.

I wouldn't let it go no longer then the csa certification. Possibly before that, but I like my Bauer 7500. Some of the little gel pads fall out of that sometimes, but I super glued the ones that fell out back in and never had a problem with it again.

Hehe my wife made me get a new helmet when she saw the old 4500 had an expired sticker on it. Not like I minded, but again those stickers are on there for a reason, somebody had to figure out when would be a reasonable timeframe to replace it. I figured might as well follow the instructions, they're good for years, but after awhile they do gunk up and stuff eventually does grow in them and the foams harden and they don't protect the way they used to.