Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Labrat198

Passmaster or EZ Puck Onetimer

I am looking at getting some type of passing trainer for both Ice and Off-Ice. I really want to work on sending and receiving harder passes, but don't have anyone to practice with on a regular basis. The two that I see at some of the online stores are the Sniper's Edge Passmaster or EZ Puck One timer. I am leaning heavily toward the Passmaster as it looks like it would be less likely to bounce around when the puck hits it. I just wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions or if anyone has made one for themselves that would be willing to share their ideas.

I feel many of these hockey training tools are overpriced. You can find several videos on Youtube of these home made puck passers/rebounders in action. They're made with some 2x4, a bungee cord and something to weigh it down.

I agree with mickz. I bought the passmaster and haven't been all that impressed with it. I wish I would have tried making my own first. After I spent $100 on the thing, I expected it to work perfectly and it hasn't.

I haven't used it on ice, but I have it "mounted" with holes drilled in the shooting surface I use. The problem I run into is that I've built my passing abilities up to the point where I actually need to put a lot of force on my passes to push myself. As my force has gone up, so has the number of passes that slide under the band and get lodged in the triangle.

All that said, I like the look of the Give and Go

http://www.givengohockey.com

If anyone has used that, I'd love to hear how it works.

Thanks for the ideas! The Give and Go looks really nice, but at $350 its way out of my price range. Time to get creative and see if I can't make something similar, if I do and it works I will be sure to post it.

This was my solution for off-ice for my kids:

I put together 2 passing pads with materials that, for the most part, I already had on hand. The only $ I shelled out was about $18 for a 4x8 sheet of dense panel board that had a smooth finish on 1 side. I didn't even opt for 'white' panel board for $10 more, since the concept was to keep this cheap and experimental. I cut the 4x8 sheet into thirds, so each panel was about 32" x 48". I used scrap 2x4 and 1x3 to make an 'H' shaped anchor to hold the actual rubber bungie. I screwed that 'H' set up to the panel and, after removing the 'S' hooks from the bungie, found that a metal roofing screw (with the gasket and washer already set up) was perfect to go into the empty slot where the 'S' hook had been and mount to the front side of the 'H'. A little Pledge spray wiped across the panel will get you enough slide to be functional. What's really nice is that these 2 pads can be aligned to offer an 8 foot option with bungie returns on either end. My kids like to do that and work forehand and backhand passes at the same time. The 3rd piece of panel board is just a shooting pad. I did this about 6 months ago, and I use the pads myself. In addition to my kids using these regularly, I've pounded a few hundred shots off the pad and it's holding up just fine.

I bought a 4'x 8' sheet of melamine board from home depot for $30. The ice hockey pucks slide real well on that with out me spraying it down with pledge or anything. I bought a thick bungis cord and two eye bolts and plan to set that up on the board for one timers but haven't got around to it yet.

Anyone have any luck making one without a bungee? I tosses one together last night that works nice when I hit it dead center, but sent my green biscuit any number of odd directions if it hit anywhere else.

Then again, most passes aren't exactly tape to tape in my league so maybe that isn't a bad thing. Makes me perfect my own and be ready for whatever comes my way.

Thanks for the ideas! The Give and Go looks really nice, but at $350 its way out of my price range. Time to get creative and see if I can't make something similar, if I do and it works I will be sure to post it.

They also have a shorter version for $179, if someone wants to pick one up and report back!

I bought a 4'x 8' sheet of melamine board from home depot for $30. The ice hockey pucks slide real well on that with out me spraying it down with pledge or anything. I bought a thick bungis cord and two eye bolts and plan to set that up on the board for one timers but haven't got around to it yet.

I bought the same board, and "mounted" my Passmaster to it. Like I said it works well, but not perfectly. Let us know how the bungee ends up working, I'd like to have a larger area to pass at.

Anyone have any luck making one without a bungee? I tosses one together last night that works nice when I hit it dead center, but sent my green biscuit any number of odd directions if it hit anywhere else.

Then again, most passes aren't exactly tape to tape in my league so maybe that isn't a bad thing. Makes me perfect my own and be ready for whatever comes my way.

A flat resistance band (like what they use for physio) might work, never tried it though.