Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moteef17

Stick Wear & Tear

My son started using a Reebok 20K twig about 2 months ago, so let's estimate about 20 hrs of 'on-ice' use and another 5 or so shooting at home. The toe has already split open (along the outer edge), though it doesn't appear to have compromised the blade's functionality. Looking at his older Bauer twig, I noticed the same split in the toe, but he used that stick for almost 2 full seasons. He does play D and will end up along the boards fighting for pucks, so perhaps that work along the boards is the main culprit. I've tried taping all the way out across the toe and trimming the extra tape off to no avail.

1) Any recommendations for adding longevity to the toe and/or basic repair I can do to the existing toe split to prevent further damage?

2) Is there a history of this specifically in the 20K?

No recommendations other than taping all the way to the end. You can also use quick set 2 part epoxy, fill the end of the stick cracks and gouges, and then sand it back to smooth. Quick, cheap, and holds pretty well.

I use a base around the edge with clear tape and or electrical tape to add protection when mucking along the boards.

No recommendations other than taping all the way to the end. You can also use quick set 2 part epoxy, fill the end of the stick cracks and gouges, and then sand it back to smooth. Quick, cheap, and holds pretty well.

Sealing the cracks should help lengthen the life by preventing water penetration. Doing that on a new blade should help as well. I remember using "pro-toe" on wood blades for the same thing.

UPDATE: Still using the same 20K stick, but I think we're down about 1cm I blade length over the course of the season. I've opted for gorilla glue and gorilla tape to seal off that end, in addition to taping all the way across. We get about 2 weeks out of each glue / tape set up, and I think we'll be able to finish up the season on this twig. I've opted not to invest heavily in sticks for his age group, preferring to get into good protective and that's why I've been adding life to a stick that many probably would have replaced by now.....

Having the toe split on a stick is pretty disheartening.

One other thing to check is, during games when your son is on the bench and cheering at a good save or goal, is he tapping/banging the toe of his stick against the inside of the boards? That's not great for the toe either, yet I see some people do it without thinking too much of it

Having the toe split on a stick is pretty disheartening.

One other thing to check is, during games when your son is on the bench and cheering at a good save or goal, is he tapping/banging the toe of his stick against the inside of the boards? That's not great for the toe either, yet I see some people do it without thinking too much of it

It's an excellent point. I often watch the things players do to their sticks in the moment and not realizing what they are really doing.... And then complain about stick durability.

Much like the massive chop slash... WHY? A poke check is much more effective and won't put you at risk of getting a penalty.

I will never understand why some players do some really dumb things with their sticks. At some point you have to evolve.