Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
isk8byu

Skate Holder: Tri-Lie Vs Cam Levers

I am in the market to purchase a new sharpening skate holder, and I have always used the cam lever style holders. From what I can find online, it looks like the newer tri-lie holders are around $200 more expensive than the older lever style. My questions are:

1) Are the tri-lie holders are worth the extra money? (e.g. What is gained other than the ability for flat bottom sharpening?)

2) If I only perform ROH sharpening, does the third dimension just complicate the process of getting level edges? (Does the third dimension even get used with ROH?)

3) If I make the investment in a new holder, is there a style that fits more types of skates than another and might be the preferred overall purchase? (e.g. Does a goalie specific holder work just as well on a player skate, where as a general holder may not work as well with goalie skates?)

Thanks for any insight!

I still prefer the lever style holders because of its simplicity. I've sharpened with the tri-lie as well but rarely touched the pitch, just the two adjustment knobs.

In my experience with the newer style goalie cowlings, they've clamped into the holder fine (I use mostly the SH2000 and SH6000) . I've used holders like this one: sh3000-skate-holder-blademaster-38107-17 for skates (usually older goal skates) that couldn't fit over top.

I am in the market to purchase a new sharpening skate holder, and I have always used the cam lever style holders. From what I can find online, it looks like the newer tri-lie holders are around $200 more expensive than the older lever style. My questions are:

1) Are the tri-lie holders are worth the extra money? (e.g. What is gained other than the ability for flat bottom sharpening?)

2) If I only perform ROH sharpening, does the third dimension just complicate the process of getting level edges? (Does the third dimension even get used with ROH?)

3) If I make the investment in a new holder, is there a style that fits more types of skates than another and might be the preferred overall purchase? (e.g. Does a goalie specific holder work just as well on a player skate, where as a general holder may not work as well with goalie skates?)

Thanks for any insight!

Yes, they are. Has nothing to do with FBV sharpening - it simply is easier to use, and stays true longer (levers get loose over time.)

There's no reason to use the pitch adjustment (bottom knob.)

If sharpening goal skates, the regular Tri-Lie will work. However it does get tricky on bigger Bauer goal skates (and any old Reebok cowlings. What ends up happening is that you have to take the set screw out of the yoke, put the skate in, then put the screw in.) You can sharpen the new Bauer cowling no problem.

If you have a full machine and don't mind the additional weight and cost, the Elite Tri-Lie will be able to sharpen all of those skates named above (including player) without problem. It's the holder Blackstone developed to sharpen the OD1N skate - Bauer needed a specific method to be able to sharpen the Zero-G holder, and Blackstone redesigned their old Scissor Clamp and refined it. I have one in my store that we use exclusively for goal skates. It is a bit heavier to slide around, but it stays true all of the time.

Do you see any issue with adjusting the pitch along with the front dials for correction? I was just curious because if you adjust all three dials for a correction, it would allow you to keep the holder as perpendicular as possible and not be at any angle. This way you are able to move the blade so that the middle of the blade has a better chance of moving to more of the middle of the dressing on the stone. If you look at Wissota's video online, it suggests to adjust all three dials when making corrections. Also, Mark at Blackstone suggests that if you need to adjust the front dials more than about 6 clicks, then you need to start adjusting the pitch.

Right - and most adjustments tend to fall within that 6 click range (due to steel thickness) hence not necessary for most cases.

All things being equal, steel is going to be within that range. If it's not, then you've got a holder that is caved in and the steel isn't mating to the wheel the way it should be.

That's why in our stores we keep several jigs for different purposes (standard/child/goal) so that we can work within that range and not have to deviate that much.

Do you see any issue with adjusting the pitch along with the front dials for correction? I was just curious because if you adjust all three dials for a correction, it would allow you to keep the holder as perpendicular as possible and not be at any angle. This way you are able to move the blade so that the middle of the blade has a better chance of moving to more of the middle of the dressing on the stone. If you look at Wissota's video online, it suggests to adjust all three dials when making corrections. Also, Mark at Blackstone suggests that if you need to adjust the front dials more than about 6 clicks, then you need to start adjusting the pitch.

• Like 1

Hey guys, it's an old topic but I'm in the same boat as the OP from 2015. I have a Blademaster cam lever style holder and am looking to upgrade to the newer Tri-Lie or SH 6000 holder as well. Only problem for me is the cost of the holders. I have a portable Blademaster and we just use it for our family (me and 3 kids playing) so paying $650 just seems unreasonable at this point. I've been looking for used holders but haven't seen anything. I've called Blademaster and Blackstone to inquire about used holders without any luck.  Does anyone have or know someone/somewhere that I can find any used holders? Yes I have tried the Kijiji route but the only thing I ever see are older styles like mine.

I can get by with the cam style but I'm planning to show my 13 year old how to sharpen skates and I think the 3 dial holders seem a bit more intuitive and easier to use especially for beginners.  The cheapest seems to be the Wissota at $325 U.S. but add Canadian conversion and I assume shipping and I'm back up to $500.

Thanks

On 10/31/2015 at 8:44 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Yes, they are. Has nothing to do with FBV sharpening - it simply is easier to use, and stays true longer (levers get loose over time.)

If sharpening goal skates, the regular Tri-Lie will work. However it does get tricky on bigger Bauer goal skates (and any old Reebok cowlings. What ends up happening is that you have to take the set screw out of the yoke, put the skate in, then put the screw in.) You can sharpen the new Bauer cowling no problem.

If you have a full machine and don't mind the additional weight and cost, the Elite Tri-Lie will be able to sharpen all of those skates named above (including player) without problem. It's the holder Blackstone developed to sharpen the OD1N skate - Bauer needed a specific method to be able to sharpen the Zero-G holder, and Blackstone redesigned their old Scissor Clamp and refined it. I have one in my store that we use exclusively for goal skates. It is a bit heavier to slide around, but it stays true all of the time.

+1

17 hours ago, fawks99 said:

Hey guys, it's an old topic but I'm in the same boat as the OP from 2015. I have a Blademaster cam lever style holder and am looking to upgrade to the newer Tri-Lie or SH 6000 holder as well. Only problem for me is the cost of the holders. I have a portable Blademaster and we just use it for our family (me and 3 kids playing) so paying $650 just seems unreasonable at this point. I've been looking for used holders but haven't seen anything. I've called Blademaster and Blackstone to inquire about used holders without any luck.  Does anyone have or know someone/somewhere that I can find any used holders? Yes I have tried the Kijiji route but the only thing I ever see are older styles like mine. 

I can get by with the cam style but I'm planning to show my 13 year old how to sharpen skates and I think the 3 dial holders seem a bit more intuitive and easier to use especially for beginners.  The cheapest seems to be the Wissota at $325 U.S. but add Canadian conversion and I assume shipping and I'm back up to $500.

Thanks

I was in the same situation a few years back when I bought the SH8000 for my portable machine.  The holders with the dial don't come up often on the secondary market.  When holders do surface, they haven't depreciated much in value and they're still pretty expensive.  I got tired of looking and bought a new one instead.

At my work we've always held onto our holders and other accessories (quills, cross grind dresser, etc) whenever we traded in machines.  I hoard holders because once in a blue moon a customer will bring in a skate that won't fit on my main workhouse.  I still have the pre-cam lever style where you need an allen key to loosen the anvil before making adjustments.

Thanks Mickz, you're definitely right about the used market on these. I either need to get lucky or bite the bullet and buy a new one like you did. Has anyone used the Wissota holder compared to the tri-lie or blademaster dial options? Let me know your thoughts.

I have both the Wissota and the Tri-Lie for my Blademaster Portable (SPB 850).  I am in the same position as you, sharpen about 3 pairs per week for me and the kids.  I originally bought the Wissota due to the price difference.  I stepped up to the heavy-duty Tri-Lie after about 1 year, due to the quality difference.  The Tri-Lie is definitely more sturdy and the clamp is much better and faster (even that speed is not an issue for my volume).  Honestly, I think that the Wissota was fine and actually a better fit for the youth skates.  If you are going to be sharpening larger adult skates more often, I would say the Tri-Lie.  But for youth/junior skates and smaller sized senior skates, I think the Wissota is a great value and should be a good choice.  Again just my personal experience.

Thanks for you input bfs9. Smallest skates we have are size 5 and growing rapidly so maybe the tri-lie is the better option. I just hate the fact that I'll have to spend more on the holder than I did for the machine! Lol.