Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
IcemanQ22

Epro Holder Transition to SB 4.0 Holder Assistance - New Skates

Looking for some advice. Skated my entire life in CCM/Reebok and use a 9' radius with a minor forward pitch on epro 280 holders size 8.5D skates. I have finally exhausted my last pair of Reebok 20K from my playing days and need to finally get a new pair of skates.

I have a pair of 50K Ribcore and JetSpeeds and like the fit of both skates and have tried using my old profile on the skates, but cannot adjust to the SB 4.0 Holders. I feel like my heels are are pitched too high and am tripping on quick starts and can not effectively turn. Call me a dinosaur (32 years skating in CCMs) who is set in his ways but I have not been able to dial in a similar profile. Very frustrating.

I have used no icing sports and my local LHS to match profiles and was informed there is no difference in pitch between epro and SB 4.0, only that the holder itself is 4mm taller. Either the information is incorrect or I am dropping too much money trying to get my profile correct because I can definitely tell a difference. Maybe the boots themselves are different, I really don't know at this point. A quick aside, I was watching the Wings and Sharks game tonight and noticed that Datsyuk was wearing JetSpeeds with epro holders, but didn't see shims are any signs that his skates were meant to look like a JetSpeeds. I am looking for advice and have access to several LHS here in Minnesota that can do profiling or skate services. I am hoping there are some players out there that have experienced similar issues.

1. Get my Epro put on a new boot, I have 10 pair of epro and custom steel to last a life time, but would hate to have to use shims or filler on a new skate. Got to be an easier way.

2. Continue to mess with profile (I have messed with neutral and slightly backwards profiles) but haven't found anything that suits my needs.

3. Look for old CCM and Reebok Skates on discount, but would prefer to upgrade my skates; hence the whole point of my post.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds like you have enough EPro holders and steel to last a life time. Before abandoning the factory skate/holder set-up, I would experiment with having the 'profiler' make an 'APEX' adjustment to the steel.

i would start by having the Apex moved rearward a FULL 1/2 inch. This will get you a more 'forward lean' on the pitch......by moving the 'balance point' of the profile (Apex) back from a 'normal' balance point. I know that EVERY time you make adjustments MORE steel is removed from that set of steels, but it's worth a try. Don't be afraid to 'fill and drill' those skates to install the EPro holders......if you can't get comfortable on any SB-4O set-up. Players who played at a high level and are older, are pretty SET in their ways when it comes to new styles and new 'feels' of skates and their set-ups. NEW stiffnesses, laceing patterns, volumes and generally ANY changes in NEW models of skates will produce an uncomfortable 'feeling' stance, stride for a while.....for sure!

If the profiler does not understand 'apex', or modifying apex/balance point, then find one that does and will WORK with you on experimenting. Consider going to the Forum subjects on BAUER LS4 steel. There is information there on what I do for my customers who are 'trying' to find a 'correct' (for them!) radius, pitch and apex......general information.

It's frustrating for you, I know. GOOD LUCK !!!

Edited by Pappa

Thanks for the advice and perspective. It sucks not having access to my old equipment guy, but I like your idea of playing around with the apex as you suggested and your idea for just drilling out my current mount to fit my old holders on the new boots.

On 11/15/2015 at 3:10 PM, IcemanQ22 said:

Thanks for the advice and perspective. It sucks not having access to my old equipment guy, but I like your idea of playing around with the apex as you suggested and your idea for just drilling out my current mount to fit my old holders on the new boots.

Are the hole patterns not the same between the epro and sb?