Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

What do you call the full gear guy in no check men's league?

Up till today I'd have said everything but shoulders was necessary as the slashing / hooks / high sticks are just as bad in a beer league as anywhere else, if not worse.
I normally never wear shoulders unless in a check game / team practice but today had a student trying to prove he was better than me in a scrimmage and cross checked me into the boards, one bust shoulder later.......

Up till today I'd have said everything but shoulders was necessary as the slashing / hooks / high sticks are just as bad in a beer league as anywhere else, if not worse.

I normally never wear shoulders unless in a check game / team practice but today had a student trying to prove he was better than me in a scrimmage and cross checked me into the boards, one bust shoulder later.......

That's brutal. Hope it heals fast!

We all know the different names for the different guys on beer league teams but what do you call the guy who is head to toe protected, shoulder pads, mouth guard, the works in a NO CHECK intermediate league?

They call him Chippa. Shoulders went back on for sternum protection after heart attack.

I also like to go all out for protection. Shoulder pads, cut-resistant socks, cage & mouthguard, shot blockers, etc. I feel more comfortable playing without having to worry, and I'd much rather be able to walk off the ice at the end of the game than have something un-expected happen...but I'm also the idiot who likes to try and block shots when I play D.

I think the better question is what do you call someone who ridicules players that wear full protection.

I've been playing for a long time and have always worn full protection. I don't get paid to play and have to work so anything I do to minimize my chance of injury is a good thing. When my kid started playing I went to a full cage as an example for him. When he was old enough to play without one I went to a visor.

Playing without some gear doesn't make you more macho than someone who plays in full gear. If that's the case I would rather look like a tool wearing full gear than the manly man bleeding on the ice. A $100.00 set of shoulder pads might save you thousands in medical bills and lost wages because of an accident. It doesn't have to be caused by another player either. We've all caught a rut or lost an edge and ended up sliding into the boards.

So do you go cage + mouthguard now?

I did for a while, have gone sans mouth guard of late, maybe tempting fate?

I love when somebody tries to mock others and it blows up in their face. In the intramural league I play in at school, I wear full pads including wrist guards. I get slashed almost every time I play. Guys don't know how to stop and check you into the boards at full speed. Hell, two guys in a game I played in straight up took their sticks and samurai chopped each other, one to the head, the other to the ribs.

Full gear minus a mouthguard. My protective gear is not NHL quality but of the light but protective catagory. No check isn't no contact and my league has players that can break glass. Hockey is fun for me, no reason to make it less fun buy getting hurt when light protective can prevent something. Full cage as well. No matter how much you know what you are doing, someone else doesn't, or the puck doesn't care. I don't find the appropriate level of beer league protective equipment to be restricting in any way.

I wear everything but a mouthguard. Even with full equipment, I have had nasty bruises from slapshots hitting me in the small gaps between pads. I am even thinking of adding skate fenders after watching several guys take slapshots to the skates.

I have no desire to look like the toughguy with minimal equipment. I want to look like the guy who will be able to go to work the next day.

Wouldn't he be called the guy that can get up and head to work the next morning? I went though the "look how cool I am with no cage or shoulder pads" phase too. 6 stitches and 4 cortisone shots later I realize the benefit of proper protection regardless of level.

I got a chipped tooth while coaching mites during a water break. Don't wear a cage when coaching and the little guy lost his balance and his stick caught me. Took a stick to the face last night during a faceoff, the guy on the other team was talking to the ref and pointed with his stick without realizing I was there. Both freak things but that's why you wear equipment.

I wear everything but a mouthguard. Even with full equipment, I have had nasty bruises from slapshots hitting me in the small gaps between pads. I am even thinking of adding skate fenders after watching several guys take slapshots to the skates.

I have no desire to look like the toughguy with minimal equipment. I want to look like the guy who will be able to go to work the next day.

come one beanhead, with a face like that, does it REALLY matter. side note: I could see you not wanting to mess that blonde hair with a helmet too.

jokes for days!!!

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. If you don't want to wear shoulder pads or a cage or a mouth guard, by all means, don't do it. But have some respect for the other guys' freedom of choice to pad up.

Personally, it's about risk mitigation. Why invite injury? As others have said, even fully padded, injuries can still happen but why not decrease the risk? That's my choice. Doesn't mean it has to be yours.

That's funny- I do not think that these guys look tough at all. It is the tanks with full protective gear, who look like the MW3 Juggurnaut/ SWAT Team/ Arnold in whatever movie you wanna pick, that I think look tough/ imposing/ menacing. Guys with no shouldies look like wimps who need to go to the gym, as the jersey is so baggy up there and then with the volume incurred due to the pants, they just look unfit to me. And yea, seeing a guy's face does not make me think, "Wow, look at how tough this guy is." My first thought is always, "If I looked like this guy, then I would not care either if my face were to get mangled up by a puck or stick or whatever."

Close call on my last game. Player on the other team takes a base ball swing at a puck in the air. His stick caught me in the sternum with the tip of the blade just missing my chin. Real glad I had shoulder pads on.

Close call on my last game. Player on the other team takes a base ball swing at a puck in the air. His stick caught me in the sternum with the tip of the blade just missing my chin. Real glad I had shoulder pads on.

Good thing you did. I cracked/bruised ny sternum in an auto accident years ago. Dang it hurt to do a lot of things until it got better.

This is why some level of protective is a good thing.

That hinge is the dead giveaway, but I also remember that he wore them, along with Esposito and Greschner and Murdoch on that team. Those look like the last ones (Laser 5s) that they made. Greschner went around to all the local pro shops when he retired and bought them out of size 9s. If that's Wayne Merrick (#11) in the background, he was also in them.

What's funny is that the original poster asked what you'd call someone who's geared up head to toe on a website where everyone's really into gear.

Wouldn't the correct answer be a Modsquader, whether they are on this site or not? :ph34r: