Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diesel24

Best gloves (ie. Protection, Mobility, Comfort)

Currently wearing CCM CL500's and while I like how lightweight and mobile they are, they're not very protective (especially in the backhand.) Just wondering what are the best, most protective, gloves you've used? Thanks

Combat 52 cal. Cuff almost like franchise, heavy padded 4roll, and 3 segmented fingers. Internal liner on par with franchise. However the palm isn't Durable. I think this glove is under true brand right now.

I have struggled to find the "perfect" retail glove with these factors in mind (as I type with a recently broken thumb sustained in a tourney a couple weeks ago). I am getting Bauer Vapor APX 2 Pro stock gloves customized to get extra guards all around. This may not be of any help, but I expect to have all bases covered by the time that Pat over at Custom Pro Repair is done with my Bauer Vapor APX 2 Pro Stock gloves.

I think that if I had to go retail, I would go Bauer Vapor APX 2 Pro (if you can wait until the Vapor 1X releases, then you should get these marked down significantly). If I could have anything, but was not permitted to mod, then it is what I am getting: Bauer Vapor APX 2 Pro stock gloves. The difference between the retail pros and the pro stocks is that the pro stocks have PORON XRD integrated into the fingers, as well as the backhand (unless the pro that had them made cut out or asked for this padding to be witheld). So, you kinda never know what you are getting, unless you ask, and the seller is honest. Seller reports that these gloves have all PORON intact:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151896927696?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

as far as retail, Id say the higher end 4 rolls probably offer the most protection in the backhand. CCM 4R pro, Bauer nexus 800, Easton Pro 10, etc.....

I like Warrior Franchise gloves and bought 6 pairs or more. I don't think it "best", but really "better" for me.

I had used many of Eagle gloves for 10years over, from "Free Flow" to "X70i". I love their loose fitting. Then some of their craftsmen made a new brand, MIA but it didn't go well. The Franchise glove was produced by some of them who were helped by Warrior after leaving MIA. It was a Eagle glove which were produced in the Warrior factory. I like the gray palm leather of Warrior.

+1 for Franchise.

Glove's fit is very much up to personal preference but if by "mobile" you're looking for traditional loose fitting gloves, you should at lease give Franchise a look. This is my 3rd season with a pair and I'm completely happy with them.

Unfortunately the line's been discontinued but you shouldn't have trouble scoring a pair on clearance from LHS or online stores...

Have the ccm 4r and the protection is great run a little bit small though in the cuff area. Over really love the glove great mobility and protection.

I like Warrior Franchise gloves and bought 6 pairs or more. I don't think it "best", but really "better" for me.

I had used many of Eagle gloves for 10years over, from "Free Flow" to "X70i". I love their loose fitting. Then some of their craftsmen made a new brand, MIA but it didn't go well. The Franchise glove was produced by some of them who were helped by Warrior after leaving MIA. It was a Eagle glove which were produced in the Warrior factory. I like the gray palm leather of Warrior.

Interesting, I do see some resemblance of the MIA gloves and wonder if the Warrior franchise gloves fit similar. I can only find the 2.0 around here to try on and will see how it feels.

I just picked up the Reebok 30K for 99.00 Canadian and it's a different type of fit.

I'm pretty happy with my DT1/QR1 retail gloves. I have CL 500s but with shot blockers are those are pretty good but the shot blocker makes them stiff... so you lose mobility unless you REALLY break them in. My favourite so far though is a pair of Reebok Sty2 with shot blockers, they are linked right below to the non-shot blocker version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Reebok-Winnipeg-Jets-NHL-Pro-Stock-Return-Ice-Hockey-Player-Gloves-13-Navy-/181946088550?hash=item2a5cd4fc66:g:9kAAAOSw7FRWV4zA

I disagree with the Combat gloves, unless they were drastically improved compared to my MF2 gloves (Combat bought MF2). Below is a video I did of testing protectiveness on the MF2s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDarL2DhHY4&index=4&list=PLxUJwvoX5MI8UNA1U28TTO9tvwnc1C8jc

You are going to gain weight when you add protection in most cases. At some point, you have to decide which is more important. The retail vapor pro gloves are some of the best on the market. I'm also a huge fan of the STX Stallion series and haven't had any issues with the protection.

You are going to gain weight when you add protection in most cases. At some point, you have to decide which is more important. The retail vapor pro gloves are some of the best on the market. I'm also a huge fan of the STX Stallion series and haven't had any issues with the protection.

I agree w this

w the recent Black Friday deals on, I was able to get a pair of retail APX2 Pro Gloves (for a great price w a gift card I had) and they blew me away, in every way

I am a huge fan of CCM gloves but the APX2 Pro's are amazing

I have the nexus 1000's and love them. They are the classic Bauer 4 roll that will fit looser then the vapors but all in all have been a fantastic glove for me.

Thanks for the input guys! So, I'm between the APX2 pro's and the Nexus 1000's. Has anyone tried the nexus?

I have the Nexus 800. There are a few subtle differences in materials and such but they're essentially the same. Great gloves! you wont go wrong. Fantastic protection and mobility and from what I can tell , quite durable (I've only had mine for about 7 months).

Thanks for the input guys! So, I'm between the APX2 pro's and the Nexus 1000's. Has anyone tried the nexus?

its going to come down to fit and what you prefer

Nexus has more volume and a looser fit, Vapor the opposite

Just went from Bauer X:60 Pros to Bauer APX2 Pros and what a jump! From the feel, to the protection without sacrificing weight. I got them at Pure Hockey's tent sale, so the price wasn't too painful.

I agree w this

w the recent Black Friday deals on, I was able to get a pair of retail APX2 Pro Gloves (for a great price w a gift card I had) and they blew me away, in every way

I am a huge fan of CCM gloves but the APX2 Pro's are amazing

The wife of one of the guys on my team asked me what gloves to buy her husband last year and I told her to go with the APX pro. He still thanks me for directing her that way.