Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kac1

Bauer Stick Advice

I've been shopping for a new stick and I'm not the most knowledgable on gear. I am currently using a Vapor X6.0 stick in 67 flex (I'm 5'4 - female). I am not getting the velocity I want on my shots (accuracy is fine) and was thinking about trying out the Nexus line hoping that the different flex profile might help. Does anyone have any suggestions on what Nexus stick I should think about trying? I am also wondering if going down to 60 flex in the Vapor line might also help. Suggestions?

Thanks

1. Certain flex points are for some and not others and should not be limited to position or quickness of release

*Just because it's a mid kick doesn't mean it's for a defenseman, Aaron Ekblad uses an APX2 and Drew Doughty is using a CX.

2. You need to factor in how much you're cutting the stick, this adds flex. You're 5'4... a munchkin. 67 flex to start means if you cut 3 inches your at around a 77 flex which is close to where I'm at as a 200lb shooter with a very mechanically sound technique. I'd say 60 would be better.

3. Don't let anyone let you buy into that crap that just because it's a lower kick point your shots gonna come off quicker because the key to quick release is... Quick release. It's technique and muscle memory. Period.

Stamkos

Ovi

Toews

Kane

Malkin

Max Domi

McDavid

Pacioretty

Marchand

Hall

Krejci

Carter...

I could go all day. Mid kick stick guys.

I can out snipe, power pretty much anyone I play with in my league and I don't shoot the same with low kicks.

If you want more help shoot me a PM and I'll walk you through everything and help you figure out what you need

One of my best friends is a little bit shorter than you. She has gone through a lot of different sticks from many different brands to try to find one she could get a reasonable shot with. Much like you, she's too small to really load the stick, because she has to cut an intermediate down so much. I recommended a Warrior AX1LT to her for two reasons. First- it comes in 55 flex, so even when cut it would still have some flex to it. And second- it's a 55" stick, which is shorter than most int's, so it won't have to be cut as much which makes it more stiff.

I don't know what your budget is. And obviously how much you have to cut it, and how much flex you can get will affect which stick to get. You're a little taller than my friend so you may not have to cut it as much or might be able to flex more. If you can afford a Nexus 1N, you could try a 60 flex. A CCM Ultra Tacks might be a good choice in 60 flex also. But both of those are 57" sticks. For the money, and specs, I'd still suggest the AX1LT. It comes in 55 flex and is only 55". It will give you the most possible flex after you have cut it down. And it's $129 right now, plus discounts.

Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer a few questions..My budget would be under $200. I am normally a forward but do play defense on occasion. I do feel like I am not able to effectively flex the stick which may be why I am not getting the speed I want on my wrist shots. As far as cutting the stick goes, I have been using intermediate sticks (67 flex) and not cutting anything off.

If you feel like you're not able to flex the stick then you should probably go down in flex. Bauer only offers a 60 flex in their 1st, 2nd, and top of the line price points. So your options from this years line would be the 1N(out of your price range), N7000, and N6000. From the previous models, you could get the 8000(top of the line, and in your price point), the 4000 or the 2000. The 8000 will be a big step up from the 4000. If you wanted a 67 flex I would say to get the model one down from the top of the line, but since you want a 60, I would look into the 8000.

Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer a few questions..My budget would be under $200. I am normally a forward but do play defense on occasion. I do feel like I am not able to effectively flex the stick which may be why I am not getting the speed I want on my wrist shots. As far as cutting the stick goes, I have been using intermediate sticks (67 flex) and not cutting anything off.

With that being said, the flex point of the stick isn't going to be your biggest worry. Given what you're saying, I'd drop in flex (seems like the consensus here) to assist with the recoil effect to create more velocity.

One of my best friends is a little bit shorter than you. She has gone through a lot of different sticks from many different brands to try to find one she could get a reasonable shot with. Much like you, she's too small to really load the stick, because she has to cut an intermediate down so much. I recommended a Warrior AX1LT to her for two reasons. First- it comes in 55 flex, so even when cut it would still have some flex to it. And second- it's a 55" stick, which is shorter than most int's, so it won't have to be cut as much which makes it more stiff.

I don't know what your budget is. And obviously how much you have to cut it, and how much flex you can get will affect which stick to get. You're a little taller than my friend so you may not have to cut it as much or might be able to flex more. If you can afford a Nexus 1N, you could try a 60 flex. A CCM Ultra Tacks might be a good choice in 60 flex also. But both of those are 57" sticks. For the money, and specs, I'd still suggest the AX1LT. It comes in 55 flex and is only 55". It will give you the most possible flex after you have cut it down. And it's $129 right now, plus discounts.

This is my vote. I'm 5'4" and I've been using low kick sticks for a long time but I've never been happy with my shot.

I recently got the ax1lt 55 intermediate and cut it three inches I've been extremely happy with how it loads. In another thread they mention hand placement. In order to really take advantage of a low kick your hand should be lower on the stick. For me I keep my bottom hand higher and the ax1 LT really works for me.

My shot is a lot faster now because I'm actually using the flex of the stick to work for me

Of course ymmv.

And it's in your price range.

Just wanted to add after getting this stick I immediately bought 2 more because I found a stick that I love.

My recommendation (for What its worth) Look at other brands besides Bauer. I know alot of People who love the Feel of Bauer sticks...Which has me always ask...What do you mean - Feel?

Personally My Bantam Son and I both agree on Warrior Sticks. One of my gripes with Bauer is they feel stiff AND I have seen many Bauers (top of the line) that do not flex well. What I mean by this is that they do not flex well without failing. I have seen numerous broken Bauers where they have stress fractures from the flexing. I had a Nexus 87 shaft reused for Shaft Blade use that has those Stress fractures and is now out of service. I have seen many warriors that flex very well and have not shown any issues with what I am talking about. I know another Dad playing with a Warrioir DT2 50 flex and he has never had any stress issues that I have seen like on the Bauers.

What does that tell me...look at other brands. I have also been happy with Eastons performance. As another pointed out Warrior has Intermediates at 55 flex which is another reason my boy plays them. I do not know of any other brand making an intermediate at that low of a flex.

Thanks for the replies everyone. At this time I am going to try a CCM Tacks intermediate stick in 60 flex and see how that goes.

If you are using intermediate sticks without cutting them, you may find the AX1LT too short. I'd maybe look at the CCM Tacks stick from last year. It comes in a 60 flex and will be 57", I believe. I was not a big fan of the Nexus 8000. I liked my Ultra Tacks much better, so I'll recommend the previous tacks over the 8000.

With all of that said, if you aren't really able to load the stick now, going from a 67 flex to a 60 is probably not going to be enough of a drop to get the flex you need. If you can use the shorter length, the AX1LT may still be your best bet.

I want to start out by saying I am no expert here, but i am amazed that at 5'4" you are not cutting your sticks. I am 5'9" and use intermediate sticks and cut all of them. Granted, I think I do go shorter than some, but could your stick length be throwing off your shot mechanics? I find that when my sticks are too long i am sweeping the puck along too far from my body, vs the shorter stick allows me to put my weight over the stick and put some power into the shot.

Have you ever been able to shoot with good velocity and just cant seem to find that magic stick again, or are you working on trying to figure out good shot mechanics in the first place?

Warrior makes 55 flex intermediate sticks (for both mid-kick and low-kick models) and Sherwood makes the EK60 intermediate (low-kick stick) in 55 flex as well. I believe the current generation Warrior 55 flex intermediate sticks come in 57" length. The previous generation (Covert and AX1) were 55". The EK60 intermediate is listed as 57" long.

Warrior makes 55 flex intermediate sticks (for both mid-kick and low-kick models) and Sherwood makes the EK60 intermediate (low-kick stick) in 55 flex as well. I believe the current generation Warrior 55 flex intermediate sticks come in 57" length. The previous generation (Covert and AX1) were 55". The EK60 intermediate is listed as 57" long.

The AX1LT is definitely 55". My friend had bought a AX1 by accident and it was 57". So she bought a AX1LT and it's shorter, 55". The AX1ST is 57" though.

The AX1LT is definitely 55". My friend had bought a AX1 by accident and it was 57". So she bought a AX1LT and it's shorter, 55". The AX1ST is 57" though.

Sorry, I wasn't very precise. The previous generation Dynasty AX1LT and Covert DT1 LT were 55". But Warrior told me the current generation Covert QR and Dynasty HD sticks are 57".

I've been shopping for a new stick and I'm not the most knowledgable on gear. I am currently using a Vapor X6.0 stick in 67 flex (I'm 5'4 - female). I am not getting the velocity I want on my shots (accuracy is fine) and was thinking about trying out the Nexus line hoping that the different flex profile might help. Does anyone have any suggestions on what Nexus stick I should think about trying? I am also wondering if going down to 60 flex in the Vapor line might also help. Suggestions?

Thanks

Maybe try the Nexus line if you are looking for velocity and maybe practice shooting with a teammate who has excellent technique. There was a poster who offered some help through PM's and you could probably pick up some great tips.

The Nexus does come in a 60 flex and is a great stick.

I'm 5'4" and weigh in at about 158lbs. I cut it down to my chin on skates, which is roughly 4 inches.

I use a 60flex nexus stick. I much prefer the "natural" feeling of the mid flex sticks.

Maybe try the Nexus line if you are looking for velocity and maybe practice shooting with a teammate who has excellent technique. There was a poster who offered some help through PM's and you could probably pick up some great tips.

The Nexus does come in a 60 flex and is a great stick.

Thanks. He is actually the person that recommended the CCM Tacks.

In all honesty Bauer is falling behind in the Stick market I think. More and more people have been turning to CCM because they have 3 Diverse lines of sticks, all with their own unique technology. If you're looking for more "velocity" I would try the Tack line. I know its a mid kick stick, but they run soft in flex, and come with a super stiff blade so you won't lose the accuracy.

Nexus line from last year, the 8000 line was popular but I wasn't a fan. felt heavy and stiff. 1N line has been better, I have not tested.

Hope that helps.

In all honesty Bauer is falling behind in the Stick market I think. More and more people have been turning to CCM because they have 3 Diverse lines of sticks, all with their own unique technology. If you're looking for more "velocity" I would try the Tack line. I know its a mid kick stick, but they run soft in flex, and come with a super stiff blade so you won't lose the accuracy.

Nexus line from last year, the 8000 line was popular but I wasn't a fan. felt heavy and stiff. 1N line has been better, I have not tested.

Hope that helps.

Hey Adam, do you think Bauer is falling behind or other manufacturers are catching up? In my experience, I feel Bauer still wins in durability over CCM. IMO, I feel the CCM sticks chip more easily than the Bauer counterparts but that's my experience.

But I do agree with you that's it's great to see some competition for Bauer.

Hey Adam, do you think Bauer is falling behind or other manufacturers are catching up? In my experience, I feel Bauer still wins in durability over CCM. IMO, I feel the CCM sticks chip more easily than the Bauer counterparts but that's my experience.

But I do agree with you that's it's great to see some competition for Bauer.

Hey! I think its more manufactures catching up. Bauer has dominated the hockey market for so long, and CCM has always seemed to be second. However with them taking over the RibCor line and reintroducing the Tack line, they are striving to be just as good as Bauer. Yes I would agree that Bauer does win the durability factor right now, but I think CCM will get just as good as the years go on.

I am the one who recommended the tacks stick and I am actually someone who uses Bauer. I have used everything under the sun and while I think every person has a stick that is just going to click for them. For some this will be CCM and for others it will be Bauer, Warrior, Easton or whatever. IMO the top two are Bauer ad CCM because at the ungodly amount of money people are paying for sticks Bauer and CCM are hands down the leader in durability.

Some things to consider:

1. Just because someone experienced poor durability with a stick doesn't mean others will too. You need to look at the big picture and see if it's just some or many. IMO Warrior, Easton and True have very poor durability. Some may say "I've had my stick for xxxx games and it's still great"... Well that may be true but you need to consider how many variables come into play in the game of hockey. Play styles vary a great deal and just because it lasted for one doesn't mean it will for another.

-are you stick lifting? Poke checking? Smacking a blade on the ice to get the attention of a passer? How about board play? Chopping, hacking, digging?

-What type of shots are you taking?

-Do you use your stick to block shots or passes?

If your shot is weak and you don't do much of the above I bet the stick will last longer than if you didn't do the above. The bottom line is, I have a friend who plays a very soft game and his sticks last a long time because of it, I do not play a soft game. I'm a two way forward who sometimes kicks himself for playing the way he does because it lead to a chunk being taken out of the blade or a broken shaft from a one timer. Someone may say "I had my Easton whatever for 2 years and it's still kicking"... Yea well how many games did he play?

Here are my rankings:

Durability:

1.Bauer

(I've beat the snot out of every stick in the line, NXG, Nexus 1000, 8000, 1N, APX2, 1X) with shooting sessions consisting of hundreds of pucks per.

2. CCM

3. Easton (excellent performing sticks but either the blade dies or the shaft breaks down fast)

4. Warrior

5. True

Performance/Innovation

1. Bauer

2. CCM/Easton

3. Warrior

4. True

Fit and finish: (does the stick feel like it's made of quality materials? Does it feel cheap or well put together)

1. Bauer

2. CCM

3. Easton

4. Warrior

5. True

Puck feel and feedback:

1. Easton

2. Bauer

3.Warrior

4. CCM (Tacks/Ribcor exempt)

5. True

There's a stick for everyone. There are no guidelines... There's a technique in everyone and tell tale signs that imply something is or isn't working for you. Remember this:

*THE SNIPER RIFLE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS OPERATOR, THE RACE CAR IS ONLY AS FAST AS ITS DRIVERS SKILL SET AND THE STICK IS ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS SHOOTER*

You can ask a 16 year old kid that just got his permit to take a lap around Laguna seca in a Corvette zO6 and he's going to get beat by the instructor in a Mini Cooper S.

Choosing the right stick starts with taking the attributes of your technique and applying it to the mechanics the stick construction. If anyone needs help with a stick purchase shoot me a PM and I will walk you through it to get you what you need.

I remember seeing a video somewhere where they took various sticks and asked too division I players to basically pick out their stick. They couldn't do it in most cases. That goes to show you that the technology in sticks is irrelevant for most people. If you're a pro, maybe, but the average player won't see a different in velocity or accuracy, etc. I go wth what feels good.