Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Warrior QRL glove

I'm going to have to try these on again before ordering my custom pair. I remember the pair at Winterfest being 14" and they fit pretty well despite me usually wearing a 13" glove. Not having had the chance to try a 13" glove I was unable to confirm best fit. 

I might have missed it if it was already mentioned earlier in thread, but what exactly are the significant differences between the QRL and QRL Pro? is it just the touches of synthetic leather and special nylon mesh as well as the different palm materials? What would really the the reason to go for one vs the other?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Vuronov said:

I might have missed it if it was already mentioned earlier in thread, but what exactly are the significant differences between the QRL and QRL Pro? is it just the touches of synthetic leather and special nylon mesh as well as the different palm materials? What would really the the reason to go for one vs the other?

Thanks!

On 3/19/2016 at 6:10 PM, Stewie said:

The two main ones visually are the Mesh gusseting on the QRL, The smartpalm + wear patch on the QRL glove, and if I remember correctly I think the QRL was supposed to be a bit lighter as well, but i could be wrong on this point. The exterior coverings also appear a bit different in the two gloves/

Thanks, my eyes missed that while searching the thread...still, not sure that is almost $50 worth of difference, though on looks alone I like the touches to the QRL.

Got my QRL's yesterday. Haven't used them yet, but they seem very high quality. Ive used Bauer 4 Roll Pro's for the past 5 or so years which have held up really well. I've been noticing how loose and sloppy they feel lately though and wanted to try something a little more snug. One thing I think I miss about the 4 Rolls is the ventilation on the back of the hand. The QRL's have ventilated padding inside the glove, but there aren't any vents or anything on the outside to help the air escape. I really notice a big difference in the cuff as well. The QRL is much more fitted and snug around my wrist, while the 4 Rolls are very flared and open. Mobility is about the same between them though. The QRLs overall have a much more snug fit which I think I'll like. 

I'm a little on the fence on the sizing though. I got a 14" which is what my 4 Rolls are. The length seems okay - they meet the end of my elbow pads almost exactly, whereas the Bauers overlap by like a 1/2". The fingers seem like they may be the tiniest bit short, but its possible that would go away when they break in. I wouldn't mind trying the 15" just to be sure, but local stores don't have them in stock yet.

Got my pair of qrl pro gloves and I love the fit and feel. Normally use Bauer mx3 gloves and thought that they were snug but the qrl pro is more so and I like that.

The weight of the gloves surprised me. Soooooo light that sometimes I don't notice I have them on. And the cuff is a game changer. 

Thinking of getting another pair custom made though or just all black (got the black/red).

I'm going custom as soon as I have the cash. Basically all black, with some white accent and white WARRIOR on the cuff. The exception will be the binding will be red. Only red on the glove. 

Kind of the same color scheme as my goalie pads. White face only, black sides/back/side rolls, red accents. :)

8 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

I'm going custom as soon as I have the cash. Basically all black, with some white accent and white WARRIOR on the cuff. The exception will be the binding will be red. Only red on the glove. 

Kind of the same color scheme as my goalie pads. White face only, black sides/back/side rolls, red accents. :)

Ooo I'd like to see those once you get them :)

2 minutes ago, tcc said:

Ooo I'd like to see those once you get them :)

I did this in the QR1 customizer, since I think the graphics are pretty close to the same for the QRL.

9jMK97K.png

And these are the pads I ordered, just for comparison. As you can see I can clearly like this "mostly black, some white, tiny bit of red" color scheme :)

z8WFRYt.png

Between this glove and the Vapor 1X Pro, which has better slash protection on the outside of the pinkie, and the outside of the palm (the area in alignment with the pinkie, on the outside of the hand)? I heard that Covert QRL/ Pro skimped on this area, but is otherwise a perfect glove (relative to my personal prefs/ hand shape, of course- I realize that this glove is not for everyone) . Generally, I like the Covert fit better than Vapor, but I would guess that Vapor is more robust in this one section of protection.

The QRL3 does have awesome colors (love the Carolina blue), but it is a bit stiff in the cuff. It reminds me of the DT1/ QR1 for cuff stiffness. I guess it would break in over time, but it might be awhile.

I was disappointed they wouldn't allow the outside and inside of the backhand to be the same color and the middle different on the covert customizer. Instead, there's the choice to have the outside and middle sections the same, the inside a different color, and the stripes another color. I'd like to get a pattern like the ones Gallagher's exhibiting (A) instead of their n'importe quoi retail blob pattern (B) that was enforced by the latest iterations of the previous generation of the customizer:

A:

13532030_298524477151146_1457592007_n.jp

B:

13402219_1785689554996146_991738420_n.jp

We'll see if they change that protocol when the QRL customizer is up. Ultimately, I don't mind the colors though. I'm more curious if it will be possible to customize the gusset height and cuff length. I haven't tried these on yet, but with as flexible as they've made the cuff, I'm thinking I may want to order a pair of customs with a 1-1.5"-extended cuff length to cover my overexposed wrists.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

I was disappointed they wouldn't allow the outside and inside of the backhand to be the same color and the middle different on the covert customizer.

Yeah that is an annoyance I have with most companies and their forced grouping of color zones. I feel like every isolated area should be able to have its own color. I'm sure there are logical reasons why  in the manufacturing process they can't just go crazy with it, but I feel like if you're willing to pay for extra materials you should be able to get it.

If you look at their QR3, they have 2 color ways that do have the outside and inside color to match, it's the white and black, and their white black and red option. Oddly enough, none of their other QR3 color ways do it though.

3 hours ago, Vuronov said:

If you look at their QR3, they have 2 color ways that do have the outside and inside color to match, it's the white and black, and their white black and red option. Oddly enough, none of their other QR3 color ways do it though.

True. Maybe we can hope that's an indication it may become available.

5 hours ago, McDougalfaschnitzer said:

Yeah that is an annoyance I have with most companies and their forced grouping of color zones. I feel like every isolated area should be able to have its own color. I'm sure there are logical reasons why  in the manufacturing process they can't just go crazy with it, but I feel like if you're willing to pay for extra materials you should be able to get it.

I completely agree. Sure, it probably costs more to manufacture, but it would be nice to see the option for more areas to pick colors independent of the others, even if there's an upcharge for it. It's such a tease when the pro gloves follow that pattern. It seems like it's the most logical, even according to them.

At the end of the day, I'm sure I'll still get a pair of QRL's, just because Warrior looks to have solved so many things incredibly well in it. Now no matter what glove I'm looking at I don't get why it doesn't have an Axyflex cuff.

I got the QRL Pros through the VIP program and am ridiculously happy with them so far. That is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of the DT1s. I like the Axyflex cuff, but they do run a bit hot.

xFMXU72.jpg?1

I say no since I like as much protection as possible, but I'll take some comparison photos of gloves with my elbow pads on tonight to help.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

I remembered to do this! But seriously hopefully this helps.

Awesome post. If I could like it more than once, I definitely would. The second and fourth pictures tell the story the best, showing how much more coverage the cuff offers compared to other top designs. This is why I wish they had made the cuff even longer, almost Bure long. It's got the movement to always be where you need it, yet not in the way. I think the next iteration of the floating-full-wrap cuff will be perfect, though this one is very very close.

Also, does the forearm of the Super Tacks elbows you have on extend further down than other elbows on the market? My guess is they do, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. The utility of an even slightly longer Axy Flex cuff would be all the clearer if you had on a more weight and mobility conscious pad.

I guess, after all, an extension to the cuff as it's already made isn't something that would be overly difficult or expensive, comparatively speaking.

So, the Ultra Tacks elbows are longer than normal retail elbow pads. The Pro stock Ultra Tacks can be but not the retail ones.

Personally I do with the cuff was longer and flared out more at the top to completely overlap with the elbow pads... but I understand I like longer cuffs than the market does so I understand why they went with the version they did.