Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XUHockey21

I'm in the market for a new twig

I'm currently using an Easton Z-bubble with a focus flex Sakic blade. I absolutely LOVE the stick, but I know it's on its way out. I'm a 6'1, 190lb forward that doesn't take a whole lot of slappers. From my investigating to this point, it looked like the Bauer Vapor line was going to cater best to my playing style. I wanted to throw this out to the community here for some input, any other sticks that would work best for the specifications I'm looking for.

Also, I can get a really good deal on a Vapor X80 or X90, but is it worth it to jump up to a X700 or X800, assuming Bauer is the way to go? I'm looking to stay south of $150.

If you're going to go with the Vapor line, have a look around for deals on the X100. I just picked one up at Sportchek for $99.

I'm currently using an Easton Z-bubble with a focus flex Sakic blade. I absolutely LOVE the stick, but I know it's on its way out. I'm a 6'1, 190lb forward that doesn't take a whole lot of slappers. From my investigating to this point, it looked like the Bauer Vapor line was going to cater best to my playing style. I wanted to throw this out to the community here for some input, any other sticks that would work best for the specifications I'm looking for.

Also, I can get a really good deal on a Vapor X80 or X90, but is it worth it to jump up to a X700 or X800, assuming Bauer is the way to go? I'm looking to stay south of $150.

Just curious what led you to the Vapor line?

What type of shot mechanic do you employ?

Looking at the construction, reviews, etc., there's been a lot made of a lower kick point and the QRT build of the newer Vapors. Between that, and the other tech built in for puck feel and lack of torquing, I feel it's possibly the most bang for the buck. I fully acknowledge that this all could be smoke and mirrors, but I've read the same thing on multiple sites, and people seem to love it.

I'm more of a quick shot player, lots of shots off the rush/in transition. My lower hand doesn't move a whole lot, unless I have the time and presence of mind to drop it for a slapper, which isn't often.

Looking at the construction, reviews, etc., there's been a lot made of a lower kick point and the QRT build of the newer Vapors. Between that, and the other tech built in for puck feel and lack of torquing, I feel it's possibly the most bang for the buck. I fully acknowledge that this all could be smoke and mirrors, but I've read the same thing on multiple sites, and people seem to love it.

I'm more of a quick shot player, lots of shots off the rush/in transition. My lower hand doesn't move a whole lot, unless I have the time and presence of mind to drop it for a slapper, which isn't often.

Air Core III foam tends to play more crisp if that is what you like. As for lack of torque can you elaborate?

Air Core III foam tends to play more crisp if that is what you like. As for lack of torque can you elaborate?

Bauer makes the claim that this stick is more resistant to the blade twisting under loads, keeping shots more accurate. Basically, claiming the "top" and "bottom" of the stick are stronger than the sides.

Bauer makes the claim that this stick is more resistant to the blade twisting under loads, keeping shots more accurate. Basically, claiming the "top" and "bottom" of the stick are stronger than the sides.

Bauers blades are all pretty damn solid it's really just a matter of what feel you like-- Crisp/Responsive/Light or Softer / More Wood Like; however, this claim is in regards to the 1N shaft which is a True Mid Flex.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking for a more low flex. I'm by no means keeping it strictly Bauer, it was just the one that caught my eye offering what I was looking for. If you have other suggestions, I'm definitely open.

if you want to go Vapor (which by the sounds of things, sound right to me based on what you're looking for) see if you can find an APX2 in your flex/curve

in that $150 range or less, top of the line stick from last year and pretty solid overall based on reviews I have read

if you want to entertain a CCM the Superfast from last lear is also on clearance for under $150

I, like you, prefer a low kick stick and the CCM is really good too

This one isn't a LK but acts like a low or mid depending on where your lower hand is placed

I personally use a CCM Ribcore 30k and CCM RBZ 130 (mid price point last year $150-ish) and they are great for me

Yeah, I'm definitely looking for a more low flex. I'm by no means keeping it strictly Bauer, it was just the one that caught my eye offering what I was looking for. If you have other suggestions, I'm definitely open.

No worries. I was a rep with Bauer for nearly 7 years so, up until the new Supreme line coming in February I feel fairly confident in speaking about their sticks. They have great product and the Bonny Sports Factories have some of the cleanest bladder molding in the industry. Hard to go wrong with a Bauer stick-- As long as you are buying a flex profile that works with your shot mechanic rather than against it.

All too often I see players buy into the marketing or that they just want what's new. It's not surprising they are disappointed when that product does not work out for them.

You just have to understand what works for you. The trial and error getting there can be frustrating... And expensive.

if you want to go Vapor (which by the sounds of things, sound right to me based on what you're looking for) see if you can find an APX2 in your flex/curve

in that $150 range or less, top of the line stick from last year and pretty solid overall based on reviews I have read

if you want to entertain a CCM the Superfast from last lear is also on clearance for under $150

I, like you, prefer a low kick stick and the CCM is really good too

This one isn't a LK but acts like a low or mid depending on where your lower hand is placed

I personally use a CCM Ribcore 30k and CCM RBZ 130 (mid price point last year $150-ish) and they are great for me

There is a glut of sticks out there right now. Some good and some real bombs, so while it can be hit and miss there are some real wins out there right now for the consumer.

If some of you guys saw the cutouts / breakdowns of some sticks you would be floored and just how bad some sticks are. There are some good factories producing sticks for sure; however, some of the stuff I have seen will leave you scratching your head as to how it passes QC.

If you were one of the players that liked the APX2 you may not like the 1X as much. The blades are pretty much the same; however, the 1X feels more like a low mid. It loads easier and recoils harder. I believe the numbers were something like 20% easier load and 28% harder recoil over APX2. I am more of a true mid player and while I didn't like the APX2 very much the 1X was far more fun to play with.

No worries. I was a rep with Bauer for nearly 7 years so, up until the new Supreme line coming in February I feel fairly confident in speaking about their sticks. They have great product and the Bonny Sports Factories have some of the cleanest bladder molding in the industry. Hard to go wrong with a Bauer stick-- As long as you are buying a flex profile that works with your shot mechanic rather than against it.

All too often I see players buy into the marketing or that they just want what's new. It's not surprising they are disappointed when that product does not work out for them.

You just have to understand what works for you. The trial and error getting there can be frustrating... And expensive.

There is a glut of sticks out there right now. Some good and some real bombs, so while it can be hit and miss there are some real wins out there right now for the consumer.

If some of you guys saw the cutouts / breakdowns of some sticks you would be floored and just how bad some sticks are. There are some good factories producing sticks for sure; however, some of the stuff I have seen will leave you scratching your head as to how it passes QC.

If you were one of the players that liked the APX2 you may not like the 1X as much. The blades are pretty much the same; however, the 1X feels more like a low mid. It loads easier and recoils harder. I believe the numbers were something like 20% easier load and 28% harder recoil over APX2. I am more of a true mid player and while I didn't like the APX2 very much the 1X was far more fun to play with.

I am NOT a fan of the 1X ... and found out the hard way spending $300 on one

glad it's sitting in the corner of my garage, while I use a $130 twig instead ..... :facepalm:

now that you mention it being more of a low mid, that could make sense, since I gravitate towards a low these days

I did try it in the shooting bay first, and it felt ok

but I can't really tell until I get it in a game situation

Ill admit, i fell for the marketing hype on this one.... but did buy the "low kick" its advertised to be, so ..... ya ....

I like my Sherwood EK60. It's fused with graphene towards the blade to make it stronger and it's got that low kick that you want. And it's the lightest stick on the market I think. Plus it's only $200 for the top of the line stick instead of more like other brands. But I'm thinking about trying a Reckoner but I'm not paying full price for one unless my EK60 breaks so I'll just wait that out for a sale.

I like my Sherwood EK60. It's fused with graphene towards the blade to make it stronger and it's got that low kick that you want. And it's the lightest stick on the market I think. Plus it's only $200 for the top of the line stick instead of more like other brands. But I'm thinking about trying a Reckoner but I'm not paying full price for one unless my EK60 breaks so I'll just wait that out for a sale.

There are a handful of companies making a damn good stick at the lower price points. I know there was a concentrated effort to make some real nice improvements to the line with the lower price points at my previous company.

When I landed with True I was floored at how good the 5.2 and 4.5 are for the money. The compression molding at higher pressure really makes a difference. I think the thing I like best is that they use the same tooling / mfg'ing on all price points from $299 all the way down to $69. There is beauty in simplicity and redundancy. They own their factories, so they can control everything top to bottom. It makes for a very high quality and consistent product line.

Some companies are using 2 or 3 factories to produce their product lines and there are inconsistencies from the top price point to the bottom price point.

There are a handful of companies making a damn good stick at the lower price points. I know there was a concentrated effort to make some real nice improvements to the line with the lower price points at my previous company.

When I landed with True I was floored at how good the 5.2 and 4.5 are for the money. The compression molding at higher pressure really makes a difference. I think the thing I like best is that they use the same tooling / mfg'ing on all price points from $299 all the way down to $69. There is beauty in simplicity and redundancy. They own their factories, so they can control everything top to bottom. It makes for a very high quality and consistent product line.

Some companies are using 2 or 3 factories to produce their product lines and there are inconsistencies from the top price point to the bottom price point.

I haven't looked to much into the True brand sticks yet. Do any of them have a low kick point like I seem to prefer?

I haven't looked to much into the True brand sticks yet. Do any of them have a low kick point like I seem to prefer?

True has the X-Core and the A-Series. They are both fairly similar in terms of flex profile; however, the A-Series is a little more low-mid whereas the X-Core is a True Mid. They are very close, but subtly different. The new A-Series SBP line coming in March will have nice blade improvements.

Try to get your hands on one at a demo event if you can. You guys all benefit with many of the mfg's running demo tours/events. Don't just demo the top price points when you get the opportunity. Pick up lower price points. Try a lower flex. Try a new pattern. All too often I run demo's and I watch guys pick up the same thing and they don't learn nearly as much as they could.

One internal demo we did at Bauer once was shooting the competitors sticks at every price point. What an eye opener that was.

One internal demo we did at Bauer once was shooting the competitors sticks at every price point. What an eye opener that was.

...could you plz specify ?? thx

Agreed. I got some ice sessions in yesterday with a Sherwood EK15 on clearance for around $115 with current discounts, and what a deal this stick seems to be. Super light and a low-kick stick that might be worth checking out if they have your curve/flex in stock.

Agreed. I got some ice sessions in yesterday with a Sherwood EK15 on clearance for around $115 with current discounts, and what a deal this stick seems to be. Super light and a low-kick stick that might be worth checking out if they have your curve/flex in stock.

Yeah I got an EK15 when I first started playing ice hockey earlier this year then I liked it so much I got an EK60. If one of those two break I'll pick something else up. I might get a limited edition EK60 if they have those like they had the limited edition EK15s. Otherwise I just want to try a Reckoner. I wish they had a demo shooting area at my lhs but no such luck.

Edit:

I really should be set for awhile and not even thinking about a new stick right now. But I am anyway. Lol

...could you plz specify ?? thx

As I stated earlier if you have the opportunity to demo sticks make sure to try as many price points as possible, try different flexes, try different patterns. You can learn alot by trying different things. Especially when it's a demo event and you don't have to buy all those sticks.