Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blake1391

Help making hockey stick choice

Hey everyone,

There are several different hockey sticks I'm looking at right now that are all on sale around the same price range. The sticks are the Bauer Nexus 8000, CCM Ribcor 40k, CCM RBZ SuperFast, and Warrior Covert DT1 LT or ST. I haven't been able to make my mind up on which one I want to buy so I have came to this forum to ask for your help and some different views and opinions on your experiences with some of these sticks already. Has anyone had a chance to try all or a couple of these sticks out? If so, which did you prefer the best out of them? Any specific reasoning with your choice?

Thanks a head of time for anyone's help on helping me choose what stick to buy!

Blake

Do you like a midkick or low kick? Do you prefer a pingy lively blade or softer dampened blade? I have tried them all except for the DT1 LT and ST.

Tell us a little more please.

I personally have the 40k and Superfast. Between the two, I personally enjoy the Superfast more, but that's going to be preference based upon kick point. The 40k is a low kick stick while the Superfast is variable based upon lower hand placement. I also like the puck feel better on the Superfast (some may argue against this). For close out sticks, you definitely have a lot of great choices. It's just going to depend on the kick point you're looking for as well as what curves and flexes are available.

Sorry guys, I'm actually not too sure what kick point I really prefer as I'm just getting back into hockey again after not playing for several years. I would like to get my shots off fast, but also with some power and I take more snap/wrist shots than I do slap shots, so I'm assuming this may be better with a low kick point?. As for the blade, I think I'd rather have a lively blade that has a good puck feel to it and will know where the puck is on my stick without having to look down as much.

If anyone has has any last opinions or feed back, please let me know as I'm going to buy one of these sticks tonight before the sale ends.

Much appreciated,

Blake

Sorry guys, I'm actually not too sure what kick point I really prefer as I'm just getting back into hockey again after not playing for several years. I would like to get my shots off fast, but also with some power and I take more snap/wrist shots than I do slap shots, so I'm assuming this may be better with a low kick point?. As for the blade, I think I'd rather have a lively blade that has a good puck feel to it and will know where the puck is on my stick without having to look down as much.

If anyone has has any last opinions or feed back, please let me know as I'm going to buy one of these sticks tonight before the sale ends.

Much appreciated,

Blake

Hey Blake, the CCM Ribcore 40K would be what your looking for if you want a lively blade and a low kick point that will load and release quickly. I haven't tried the Warriors you mentioned but somebody who used them might recommend it. The stick has tons of pop too.

I have the CCM reckoner and really like the stick. I like what CCM has done with the reckoner making the blade softer. I don't have to look down at the puck when I stick handle with a softer blade but actually prefer the puck feel both at stick handling and shooting.

It sounds like you have been playing hockey for awhile so you probably have your preferences. Good luck.

Where do you like your kick point?

Exactly! All too often I see guys chasing whatever is new and flashy rather than buying a stick that works WITH their shot mechanic. All too often players end of with a stick that works against their mechanic and to buy something else.

Much appreciated,

Blake

Sorry to nitpick; however, this statement is kind of counter intuitive. A blade that is lively takes more effort to cradle your passes and settle it down. Blades that play more like wood ( think Nexus & Supreme w/ Powercore III Foam or X-Core w/ Urethane insert ) will play more steady and give you better puck contact time ( fewer muffins and more steady for stickhandling / sending & receiving passes / heavier cleaner shots ).

Some guys like the crispy blades as that is what they grew up on; however, there is alot of research out there to back up that puck contact time is critical. It provides better stick handling and easier to send & receive passes and above all else cleaner shots.

Something to ponder-- In a real game situation you spend more time sending and receiving passes as well as stick handling than shooting. All are critical; however, the pingier the blade the more you really have to try to settle your passes down and it's harder to send / receive passes. Blade " tuning " is critical. I completely understand if a player wants a more crispy blade-- Just be aware there is a difference between lively and crispy.

I think you might like the ribcore. For a livelier blade, check out the Dt1. I had one of those and really liked it. Try your teammates sticks if you can.

Exactly! All too often I see guys chasing whatever is new and flashy rather than buying a stick that works WITH their shot mechanic. All too often players end of with a stick that works against their mechanic and to buy something else.

A lot of people have no idea what kickpoint will work for them. It's a fairly advanced concept, especially when their mechanics may favor a stick that runs against the normal suggestions for their shot preferences.

Two of my biggest frustrations right now.

Many players don't really seem to know and they employ bad mechanics which further exacerbates the problem.

A lot of people have no idea what kickpoint will work for them. It's a fairly advanced concept, especially when their mechanics may favor a stick that runs against the normal suggestions for their shot preferences.

So how the heck do you figure out what works? Just experiment?.?.

True A5.2. Superb twig. A clean low-mid shooter with a great, wood-like blade and great puck feel. I've never used a One95, but from what I've heard, the A5.2 sounds exactly like a modern version of it.

For the most part, yes. If you find something that works, stop changing for the sake of change.

Chadd is right, take it from someone who's experimented beyond experimentation sanity. Trial and error, but do your best to take the marketing suggestions with a grain of salt. Zetterberg once said something about how resistant to change he was and how a stick needs to work for HIM and right away, if it's right he will shoot harder and more accurate with more ease and without changing a thing about his technique. Try something out when you can, if it clicks it clicks.