Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dizzyg12

Stupid lace question

Does anyone else have a problem with their laces twisting? I've taken the time to relace them and make sure they were all flat and neat but over time they tend to twist and roll up especially around the mid foot before the turn to come up the to the top eyelets. It's really and OCD thing and doesn't affect anything - just worry about lace bite if I don't untwist them. Any easy way to keep them straight and flat?

Same thing happens to me, drives me nuts. I use Elite Pro S700 Waxed Laces, I don't replace them very often so I'm guessing that's why?

Sidebar, one of my teammates takes 15 minutes to tie his skates because his laces need to be flat haha

As someone who shares this OCD, the key is making sure the laces are straight when you unlace your skates. For me they tend to get twisted as I'm pulling the last eyelet and tie them, and if I don't straighten the laces at the top before loosening them the twists will work their way down towards the middle of the skate. You basically have to decide when you want to be frustrated and annoyed, when you're rushing to get ready for a game and have to work out a twist in the middle of your skate, or after the game when you're soaking wet and exhausted and just want to get changed and get a few beers in you to replace all the carbs you just burned.

I think it's ok if you don't feel anything with twisted laces.

I've been replacing the laces to correct, not twisted condition according to 2 reasons. 1st, to avoid lace bite. 2nd, to get sure friction.

As someone who shares this OCD, the key is making sure the laces are straight when you unlace your skates. For me they tend to get twisted as I'm pulling the last eyelet and tie them, and if I don't straighten the laces at the top before loosening them the twists will work their way down towards the middle of the skate. You basically have to decide when you want to be frustrated and annoyed, when you're rushing to get ready for a game and have to work out a twist in the middle of your skate, or after the game when you're soaking wet and exhausted and just want to get changed and get a few beers in you to replace all the carbs you just burned.

Agreed, if you take the time to "train" you laces when you take them off, they should do what you want them to do the next time you lace up. i use waxed laced, obviously because they are easier to get down flat and keep some memory. If you pull them loose and take off your skate, just pull them back to "tight" and get them back to flat. this way they will want to stay in that position. then just take the rest of the lace you would tie and tuck in into the skate. (or get really weird and wedge them in between the tongue and the side of the skate. Its just like training any electrical extension cord, which I'm sure, if you have the OCD, you make sure cord gets wrapped up and goes back into its place the same way every time :)

oh, and speaking of laces, i like to take the aglet (thats the name for the tip cover) and reverse in back into the column of the lace, so it kinda looks like a belly button. it protects the ends forever and keeps the lace from coming completely out of the last eyelet i use. if i have time, i'll shoot a pic of it next time i'm with my skates.

Good tips guys! Glad I'm not the only freak about laces. Lol. I'll try to make sure they are straightened out before I unlace them. That's seems like the most likely cause.

Definitely gonna try this.

I guess I'm OCD about my laces too, I use Elite waxed laces and they seem to stay relatively flat without too much hassle. Keeping them flat when lacing/unlacing the first few times is key to them wanting to lay flat.

OCD in hockey... we all have it in some form.

- putting on gear in a specific order

- tying, and retying laces, for this thread's reason, as well as it just "didnt feel right"

- taping sticks a specific way

the list goes on.... and on.... and on.

I'm not OCD for my skate laces ONLY. I have it for ALL my shoes with laces. The laces have to be flat, otherwise I will have them retied... Which is why I went to round laces, which the twisting doesnt happen as often.

You could try oval or round style laces to prevent this? Old Nike skates had similar laces if you can find them might work too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-Nike-Ice-Hockey-Skate-Laces-105-Oval-Black-with-Silver-New-Pair-/331746304094?hash=item4d3d9ee05e:g:nOQAAOSwJcZWdrmP

00q0q_fqeoTYDrvsJ_600x450.jpg

elite-pro-oval-waxed-molded-tip-hockey-s

egZEV4P.jpg

Mind blown! can you get these in waxed?

although, i'm sure the black edges on the laces would also have to be inline... hence not solving my OCD problem. it would probably make it worse :facepalm:

although, i'm sure the black edges on the laces would also have to be inline... hence not solving my OCD problem. it would probably make it worse :facepalm:

http://www.elitehockeygroup.com/product/hockey-skate-laces/hockey-skate-oval-waxed-moulded-tip-lace/oval-waxed-moulded-tip-hockey-skate-lace-21-24-detail

Yeah would have to be solid lol

This was the problem I had with the ovals, they twisted more than any other lace I've tried, and while I'm pretty sure it didn't make a difference, it still bothered me to the point I stopped using them.

I use oval waxed laces as well and they twist at the top eyelets but IMO, still work the best. I never have to relace during a game and can get passed how they look all twisted up as long as they do their job as intended. The bottom part of the skate will remain flat but for me, the top gets twisted because I keep the top loose when storing my skates.

Apparently, there is a rumour that Elite has stopped making waxed oval laces and will continue to make oval laces unwaxed. So, I have three extra sets and bought the remaining ones left at 96"

I was going to post a separate thread until I saw this. Elite laces (and most companies these days) tend to make laces that are heavily waxed so they tend to bunch up. The best laces I've used were made by a company called Texstyle. They have just enough wax so they don't tend to twist.

I know they used to do the laces for Lowry here in Canada but recently I bought a pair of Lowry laces and find that they're very similar to Elites. :sad: