Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyChicaga

Help With Skate Profiling/Edges

I just purchased new Bauer Apx2 skates (I couldn't afford 1X so I went with last year's top-end model), after skating on Bauer Vapor XXXX's since like 2008-2009. My Vapor 40's were getting worn down, so I burned my Christmas money on these Apx2's. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Since I have new steel to work with, I'm looking for some suggestions on a good profile and edge for me. I'm a 5'10", 160 lbs defenseman. I want to have good speed to keep up with younger players (I'm 34 years old), but I want to retain good agility to maneuver. I also want to ensure I have good balance skating backwards, because for some reason with my current skates I feel like I'm on my toes a lot.

I'm considering doing a 10' radius (or 11' if the LHS doesn't have the 10') with a 90/75 FBV edge. I've been told that all Bauer Vapor's come out with a 9' radius. With my current 40's, I can turn OK, and I can sometimes get good speed, but there are many times I feel like I'm going all out and not getting anywhere close to the power I should be.

Suggestions welcome, thanks.

Not true about the radius being 9' on all vapors. The 1x and 900s have a 10' radius. I think the 800 and below have 9'.

I'm not sure on the apx2 from last year though. A quick Google search would probably tell you.

That said I went from a 9' to a 10' when I went from vapor x90 (ls2 steel) to supreme 190 (ls3) recently. It was a bit of an adjustment but I feel more stable without any agility loss. I play wing and/or center.

Funny thing is the stopping part is much easier now. Especially on my weak side which I haven't perfected yet - I presume because of more blade being in the ice, less cutting/turning and a flatter glide.

Vapors in general have a more aggressive stance so you will feel more on your toes with stock steel/radius. I'm not an expert on the various radius options, I know there are combo radius options and such that I'm sure others will throw out there for you.

I'm a defenceman as well and I skate on a Detroit 1 profile (10ft in front, 20ft in the back). Works perfect for my skating style, agile enough for me to be able to maneuver while being long enough to get power down on every stride.

Update, I got my new Apx2 skates baked, balanced and sharpened with the FBV 90/75 hollow. These have the Fusion holders so looks like a 9' profile.

These skates are amazing! I'm turning better, I'm faster, and for me playing D, I'm having a much easier time skating backward and turning backward.

Thanks for the help all.

As long as the steel is brand new/never sharpened, they would have a 10' radius. If they have been sharpened, it could be anything.

As long as the steel is brand new/never sharpened, they would have a 10' radius. If they have been sharpened, it could be anything.

Not always true. About 90% of new steel out of the box does not have exact manufacturer's stock radius. Radius are off, pivot points are off, heights are off, left is off from right. You never know what you're going to get.