Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HDHockey

Ankle Recovery

I had a hairline fracture in my ankle back in October and was in a boot for about 5 weeks. I have been out of the boot for about 3 weeks and finally got back on the rink last night. Even though I feel like my ankle is close to back to normal walking, had some real issues pushing off on it last night. I am assuming the ankle is still just a little weak from lack of use for the past 2 months, but anyone know a good way to strengthen for that off-ice? Thanks!

I shattered my knee cap in March 2011, took 6 months before I could even walk anywhere near normal. Took me a long time to regain muscle mass in my leg, and it's still quite noticeably smaller than the other leg. High impact exercises are probably only going to aggravate it right now (running/sprinting). I found riding the stationary bike to gain mass and break up scar tissue to be the way to go. Lunges, squats and presses were good too, but be mindful of any pain.

I injured my ankle several years ago and it has never been the same. Even after following PT and various exercise regimens, it still gives me issues on a near daily basis.

Will be one year on 1/30 since I broke my ankle. Had surgery, along with a couple pins, and suture to hold it all together, the whole deal. Didn't walk at all for close to 2 months, walked with the boot for another month or so. Worked hard to get back, took PT seriously and spent a lot of time working out on my own. Still not 100% for all activities (distance running) and still have an occasional twitch of pain. Spent a lot of time on the bike to stay in shape and it has become a part of my daily routine. Skated for the 1st time 6 months to the day after injury, I could have skated earlier but I wanted to make sure everything was 100% (and it coincided with my usual June/July break from hockey) back to normal hockeywise, still playing 3+ times a week at the same level before injury.

It's mostly due to the ankle still being weak and tender from being locked into position from the boot for two weeks, as well some possible atrophy (weakening from lack of use). It should get better as you begin to use it more. The resistance band exercises listed previously are good, you can also do calf raises first with no weight and then with, also squats will help strengthen it.

I had ankle surgery on 12/9/15 for an osteochondral lesion of my talus. That sucked. They scoped it to remove the dead cartilage and bone then drilled micro fractures to stimulate growth. I got out of my boot a couple weeks ago and started walking in shoes. I think the biggest thing I was how quickly the muscles in my leg started to atrophy. I've been working on range of motion and calf raise as a form of PT. I think the biggest thing is just to keep working at it, but know your limits as to not re-injure.