Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nystromshairstylist

Gear repair/glove re-palming recommendation

Not sure if this should go here or in another sub-forum, but just wanted to let people know there is an inexpensive option for getting your gloves re-palmed.

I don't work for them, and didn't even know they existed until last week, but I sent two pairs of Bauer 4-rolls to "Island Sports Repair" on Long Island, and for $35 a pair the guy did a bang up job. Saved me from having to toss two pairs of broken in gloves, so I highly recommend them.

I did look into a number of other places doing the same type of work, some in upstate NY and some in the midwest, but they wanted $50 or $60, so I gave this company a shot.

No I do not work or get paid for this, just giving people a heads up, as good, new gloves cost $100 or more, so even after shipping, etc this is still a much cheaper option.

No offense, but it makes it look like they did a shoddy job with the white thread instead of the color of the glove.

No offense, but it makes it look like they did a shoddy job with the white thread instead of the color of the glove.

LOL, my fashion sense is not paramount on the ice...the thread work is fine, I did not ask what type was used but I'm sure if you send an email they will tell you. They might even use a thread if you have a type you prefer, assuming their equipment can handle it. A good place to start might be to contact a leather goods repair shop, who would likely use the strongest thread you can find, and see if Island Sports can use it.

Not interested in having work done there. Just making an observation on craftsmanship compared to the other shops doing repalms. I've had a number of gloves repalmed, some horribly done and one really well done at Custom Pro Repair.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have repalmed one of my own gloves (twice) and I know how much work it is.

I would do it again myself to save $60, but I'd definitely send my own gloves out for a $35 repalm. I'd prefer the thread match, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

Hard to tell off of a cell phone photo, but I would assume they used plenty strong thread...just not the right color. :)

Not interested in having work done there. Just making an observation on craftsmanship compared to the other shops doing repalms. I've had a number of gloves repalmed, some horribly done and one really well done at Custom Pro Repair.

I had two pairs to be re-palmed; since I wasn't sure how well they'd come out I only sent one pair, figuring I'd re-send them somewhere else with the other pair if they weren't done satisfactorily.

I'm a leather person, and am a bit knowledgeable about stitching, sewing, materials, etc., and felt the worksmanship was sufficient, but of course, that's up to you. I also wanted to give a local guy a chance, since it would reduce the shipping time and cost.

In northern California....check our BAHR. BAY AREA HOCKEY REPAIR......excellent work and craftsmanship! Highly recommend!!

They've actually done a horrible job with a number of members repalms. It's been documented on either this forum or the other popular hockey forum. May be they have gotten better?

No idea about their past work. I needed some gloves done so I gave them a shot. Had the gloves back in 5 days...... Digital Pittards done on my Reebok pro stocks....... stitching is great.....can't complain a bit. They kept me up to date....I'm happy. Just my personal experience.