Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nyanad

Going a size down & skate stiffness

I''ll be in the market for new inline skates in a few weeks since i don't like the way my Vapor fit me. Looking at my foot on the footbed, do you think i could go 0.5 size down? My heel doesn't lift in the current boot, but i was told you should opt for the smallest size possible. How small is already too small? Should i opt to squish my foot into a smaller boot or i'm fine as long as the heel doesn't lift?

Also, how to tell if the skates are too stiff while trying them on in the shop? I've got 280 JetSpeeds for ice and many people tell me it's plenty of a skate for someone my size (62kg/170cm), but i can't notice anything negative? I can get my knee over the toecap of the skate without any pain or lace bite. What would be some other possible signs of a skate being too stiff?

WP_20160120_002.jpg

Don't buy into all the talk about the smallest possible size, toes brushing cap, etc. They are just guidelines for a place to start. The amount of space around your toes is 100% personal preference. The correct size for you is the skate you find most comfortable. The only hard "rule" is that your foot should not move around inside the boot. You want your heel locked in the pocket.

I'd counter with too often people try to go for the most comfortable skate out of the box, then when it breaks in, they find that it becomes a little sloppy.

You don't want pain, but it's not going to feel like a sneaker out of the box.

I'd counter with too often people try to go for the most comfortable skate out of the box, then when it breaks in, they find that it becomes a little sloppy.

You don't want pain, but it's not going to feel like a sneaker out of the box.

I don't disagree, but people on these boards are far too obsessed with the toes touching the cap. It's simply not necessary, and I've seen more than my fair share of broken toes from guys in skates a little too small. As long as the heel stays locked in, you can get away with a little extra length.

I always suggest trying the next size down once you think you have the right size, it's amazing how often the smaller size fits better. I can't see where your heels sit on the insoles but it doesn't look like there is any extra space at the toe. If your heel is all the way back on the insole now, you aren't likely to fit into a smaller size.

Try this - take the laces right out, pull the tongue right out, foot in boot and push forward until your toes are brushing the toe cap. Bend slightly forward and try and slide a pencil down the back of your heel. If you can fit a pencil down there you can go down half a size at least. Ideal fit is 1mm - 2mm between the back of your heel and the boot.

Looking at your big toe, I'm going to say don't bother with a half size down. You're other toes will fit, but you'll be cramming your big toe into the toe cap. That could either result in an ingrown toe nail or breaking it. Leave well enough alone.

@Chadd yes, the heel sits all the way back on this picture. I tried to go half size down and my toes were lightly curling inside the boot.

@Vet88 it's impossible, the pencil just hits my foot

Thanks for the insightful answers. Whatever i go on the web or just ask around the rink everyone seems so obsessed about getting the smallest skate size possible that i started to question my own.

Also, how to tell if the skates are too stiff while trying them on in the shop? I've got 280 JetSpeeds for ice and many people tell me it's plenty of a skate for someone my size (62kg/170cm), but i can't notice anything negative? I can get my knee over the toecap of the skate without any pain or lace bite. What would be some other possible signs of a skate being too stiff?

up for the second question!

As long as you are able to get forward flex and don't feel that your stride is being restricted, then stiffness isn't an issue.