Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SanderNL

Never ending quest for skates

I've been playing hockey for twenty years, and never had a skate that has felt 100% right. Now I'm going to try again.

So, I live in the Netherlands and we don't have a lot of hockey shops around here, none that carry a stock of skates in my size (about 11.5). That's a bummer since I don't get to fit a lot of skates and have to order them at full price to try on or I have to order them online.

Full price here is no joke, and even skates on sale are way to expensive. I got an offer from a teammate of mine who deals in hockey gear for a pair of Vapor X60's for € 370. That's twice the price they are going for online. It's not his fault, the dealer here probably just overcharges him as well.

So what I do every three or four years is read a lot and look at what I've got at the moment and make a decision based on that and order a pair of skates online.

I now own a pair of Bauer Vapor X7.0's in size 11.5D and I have to say that this is probably the best fit I've had. I like a very tight fit. I wear thick socks and lace my skates up very tight and let the upper lace hole open. I like the fit on my heel and anckle, but they actually are too narrow for my front foot. My feet are really cramped in there. I got used to it, and managed with an improvised lacing where I make a knot on the third or fourth lacing holes from the toe, so when I lace the skates up I don't make the front any narrower. After some pain in the beginning I got used to it and I can skate on them pretty well.

Before this pair I owned a pair of Vapor XXV's in 12D. These were a little too big, but did fit the front of my foot. (probably because they were a little less stiff and too big)

So now my runner broke. I'm going to replace them with an old pair of runners I still have, and in the meanwhile look for new skates. I'm looking for skates that have a nice value anywhere between € 150 up to € 300 so preferably an older model.

My first thought was to get a pair of X60's since I can find them cheap and I read that they are virtually the same as the X7.0. That way the size will be right. But I thought of getting them in the EE width. But I fear that the heel will be to wide. I really hate the feeling of a loose skate. Is there a big difference between the Vapors width of the heel in D and EE?

I've also been thinking of getting a pair of Supreme's, but I'd need to do a lot of research on the size of those.

So what I'm looking for is a skate with a tight anckle/heel and a normal or maybe slightly wider front. Any advice would be welcome!

I have the same issue, narrow heel, wide forefoot. Unless you go the custom route, which is outside your budget, then stay with a width that fits you in the heel but get them stretched to fit your forefoot. If your LHS can't do it I can show you how to do so at home with some bits of wood and 2 c clamps. I moved my apx2's about 1 cm across the forefoot to get a fit that doesn't hurt. Not sure I'd do this with a boot that isn't modable though.

I have another pair of boots that I'm stretching tomorrow so will be able to take some photos of the process.

Just want to make sure you're aware of the difference between X:60 (2009) vs X60 (2013). The X:60 is virtually the same as the X7.0(2011). The X60 is similar to the X3.0(2011).

I experienced the same thing. Bought about 5 pairs of skates in 2 years trying to find something that didn't hurt.

Ended up buying Easton Mako (when they were still new and still full price). $800 or whatever seemed ridiculous but how many times was I going to spend $300 on a pair of skates that felt great in the store but hurt to skate in? Bit the bullet, and skated without pain for the first time in my life.

When I switched to goalie, I went straight to VH because there was no goalie version of the Mako and I just decided I wasn't going to even bother trying off the shelf skates after my experience trying to find player skates. Again about $900 with cowlings and step steel, and worth every penny being able to skate without pain.

If I were you I'd take advantage of Easton being bought by Bauer and jump on a pair of Mako II skates on discount.

Thanks for the answers! The Mako 1's seem to fit my budget. What size would you recommend if I now have a 11.5 Vapor? Still D size?

Stretching my skates would maybe be an option as well. I would love to see the pictures.

You're better off getting second gen makos. Gen 1 had issues. The Mako2 prices are starting to be cut in some places so if you can wait a bit you'll be able to get them cheap. Otherwise the M7 or M8 is going to be a better option than the Mako 1.

Also yes D size if that seemed to work for you in Vapor. I personally went down half a size in Mako because they fit so well.

Also, keep in mind that you may or may not be able to get your feet into them prior to baking - I couldn't. They have to be baked to fit right. Just want you to know that so you don't dismiss them as not fitting if you try them on before baking.

+1 on the Mako. I found gen 1 Mako in Canada on clearance, with the exchange rate $110 US, so I bought 2. Amazing fit first time I skated on them. I have been in VH's for 10 months, and the Mako felt even better than custom made skates. Before that I have struggled with Reebok skates since 2005.

Kept the same size going from Reebok to Mako, 5.0-EE in Easton feels like no other skate ever has before.

Thanks. I can wait for a little while. I'll keep an eye out for a pair of eastons on sale. I've got to keep in mind that I will have to pay import taxes on skates I order in the states or Canada. The only pair I've found in sale for now are on hockeymonkey, but they are still pretty expensive.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/iceskates-easton-sr.html

Thanks. I can wait for a little while. I'll keep an eye out for a pair of eastons on sale. I've got to keep in mind that I will have to pay import taxes on skates I order in the states or Canada. The only pair I've found in sale for now are on hockeymonkey, but they are still pretty expensive.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/iceskates-easton-sr.html

I think you'll be able to beat that price if you buy from Germany. I don't know what your import charges are like, but in Denmark it's the VAT (slightly higher at 25%) applied to the goods' value and the shipping cost, so it ends up being insanely expensive. Here's some links:

http://www.hockeyzeug.de/Eishockey/Schlittschuhe.html

has Mako I's for €480, II's for €500, M8's: €400, M7's €300

http://www.create-sports.com/shop/index.php/cPath/217_218_221_734

similar prices, mostly a bit higher, but could potentially help if your size is hard to find

I found some others, but mostly with high prices compared to hockeyzeug's.

Thanks! The price goes up of you order a bigger size. But I will keep an eye on this shop as well. It will be cheaper to order in Germany because of shipping costs and import taxes.

Thanks! The price goes up of you order a bigger size. But I will keep an eye on this shop as well. It will be cheaper to order in Germany because of shipping costs and import taxes.

Duh, good catch, I didn't click through the drop downs and fell for their junior pricing :/

In my search on German webshops I found these.

http://www.hockeyoffice.com/bauer-skate-vapor-x60-ice-skate-senior-11-5-eu47-5-uk12/hockey-store/shop1prodview_iN1041208.html

Vapor X60's in 11.5EE

How will the difference be in the heel area of the skate? Will it be much wider there than my current 11.5D vapor x7.0?

The heel will be wider (around 2mm) and the boot a little longer. If your x7.0 is still structurally sound, replace the holder then get them stretched, this will take care of the narrowness in the fore foot. I'll send you some pics later today of how I stretch just one side, in the meantime here is a thread where I show how I stretch a boot in a frame (and punch it as needed):

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63550-for-those-that-want-to-punch-their-own-skates/?hl=%2Bboot+%2Bstretch#entry966409

everything is readily available at your local hardware / garden / kitchen shop or online.

Note - for some reason the image of the boot in the frame ready for a stretch had disappeared, (picture 4 bits of wood making a square around the boot) I will upload a new pic later on and use photobucket instead of image shack.

In the pics the X:60 got stretched and punched by over 1cm across the width. It took me many days to get right but in the end as good as a custom built boot for a guy who basically has 6 toes.