Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sectachrome

Pants with beefy hip/butt protection

I've just recently bought some CCM Tacks 4052 pants, and I really like them with the exception of their hip/butt protection. I dont really think this is specific to this pant, as I felt it was lacking for me in my previous pants and the other pants I tried on were all pretty similar.

I need more protection in between the tailbone protector and where the hip pads end. Not necessarily the fleshy butt cheek part, but right on the backside of my hip bone, just where the hip pads seem to end. The hip pads cover the side and front of the hip, but not really the back. This is exacerbated when falling as the impact just pushes the hip pad up and out of the way. I keep falling there have a huge bruise. I really don't want to have to buy pants again like 2 weeks later, but I'm afraid I might do some damage to myself if I keep punishing it every week.

Like I said, I tried several pairs of pants (~$100) when I bought the CCM's and they were all pretty much the same with no padding in that area. Maybe a girdle is the answer? I'm looking at the Bauer TotalOne and Warrior Dynasty girdles and they both have some foam padding in that area. Its pretty much impossible to tell for pants by looking at pictures. Any suggestions?

i just went through this same thing.

impact shorts seem to be a good way to go for added protection

heres the thread: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/68984-bruised-coccyx/

The tailbone protection is fine for me, its really the back part of my hip bone. I've thought about the impact short thing, but I dont really want all the other bulk of padding where I don't need it.

If you are regularly falling back at an angle that pushes the hip pads out of the way, there really isn't anything on the market that is going to fix the problem. The area you describe wouldn't be protected by any girdle that I have seen, either. Perhaps adding some padding to an existing product or a pair of shorts like these might work. http://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-protective-gear-2704-Pad-Impact/dp/B002UHXY8G

You could always remove excess padding.

OR... like the suggestions i got... Don't fall.

I would say "learn how to fall in a less painful manner" but whatever works for you

If you are regularly falling back at an angle that pushes the hip pads out of the way, there really isn't anything on the market that is going to fix the problem. The area you describe wouldn't be protected by any girdle that I have seen, either. Perhaps adding some padding to an existing product or a pair of shorts like these might work. http://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-protective-gear-2704-Pad-Impact/dp/B002UHXY8G

Really? It looks like the Dynasty girdle could be a solution to me. Look at the 2 pads in between the tailbone and hip pad: http://cl.ly/3F1l2q1p1I1aThe Bauer ones have something similar but not segmented.

If I have to, I'll look into DIYing something or the padded shorts, but I want to eliminate other possibilities first. I can't be the only one who falls on their ass a lot. Most of the time it just hurts a bit, but I really fell hard a couple weeks ago there and kind of tweaked my back at the same time. Of course, in every game since then I've fallen on the same spot making it worse. I don't need 6 inches of padding there but it would be nice to have something.

Girdles shift too, I've had a few different ones and it happens on all of them. You also asked for "Beefy" protection there and I wouldn't call the padding in that pic "Beefy".

Something like the G Form shorts that I used to use when reffing would probably work under your existing pads. Honestly, that's the route that I would be going.

I'd give the Easton Pro 15 model a look, the Pro 10 might be more in the price range you're looking for but I haven't seen those in person so I can't comment on their padding in that area.

Surprised nobody has mentioned these tanks:

Bauer X60 pant:

eweeDQs.jpg

uWAquNe.jpg

I currently use the girdle version:

O9wkpdm.png

Or, my 9K girdle as an alternative:

OsSsr2O.png

+1 for impact shorts under the girdle. I have never noticed them at all from a bulk standpoint. I have the Vapor APX girdle which is pretty similar to x60 in the post above, and I feel like there is fairly minimal tailbone protection. The pad is thin and pretty minimally padded, which always seemed strange because I love the padding everywhere else in the girdle. I wear crashpads under and have taken a ton of falls on my tailbone with no problems.

I've taken some sudden spills straight on the tailbone in Tacklas and have always been good to go right afterwards.

I just got a pair of Bauer Total One MX3's that have the best hip/tail bone protection I've had in a pair of pants. Over the years I've tried APX'2s, Nexus 1000's and CCM RBZ's and nothing comes close to the tail bone and hip protection. There's no gaps and the pads don't shift.

+1 for the Easton Pro 15's..Doesn't get more protective than those.

Edit: I've had similar issues like the OP. I wear Eagle X88 pants but found it to be lacking in protection. For the past couple of years I've been wearing Bauer Elite padded jock shorts and they've been excellent in terms of adding protection where I need it (tailbone and hips).

Edit: I've had similar issues like the OP. I wear Eagle X88 pants but found it to be lacking in protection. For the past couple of years I've been wearing Bauer Elite padded jock shorts and they've been excellent in terms of adding protection where I need it (tailbone and hips).

Hm, I'm considering these which are really similar to the Bauer ones but without the tailbone padding (and much cheaper): http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Ultra_Shockskin_Hockey_Shorts_w__Ultra_Carbon_Flex_Cup/itm/12571-43/?mtx_id=0

I'm thinking this would be the cheapest solution, and just having that extra padding stay put on my hips could be all I need.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Howdy,

I have a pair of these that I wear as a new skater under warmups when I'm not wearing full gear... I like them quite a lot. Super comfortable and great protection without a lot of added bulk.

If I were experiencing the problem the OP describes, I'd certainly give them a go under my existing hockey pants since I already own them. I don't think you can go far wrong with this path even if you're buying from scratch.

Mark

I cut up an old pair of shoulder pads and sewed in additional padding to protect the same area the OP described. I stitched the back panel of the shoulder pads to the existing tailbone pad in the pants. The bottom pieces of the shoulder pads flare out and normally protect the bottom most ribs. Now those edges flare out and bridge any gap between the tailbone pad and the hip pads. I then added the upper arm/bicept pads to the edges of the shoulder pad back piece to add a second layer of foam exactly where I wanted it. So basically back portion of shoulder pad was sewn to tailbone pad of pants, bicept pads sewn to back portion.

I did this to my Tackla EXPP-55 pants using a Speedy Stitcher.

93357300-CCA8-481B-AC28-19B6B34FEC6F.jpg

33448DC9-9DE6-4D94-8AAD-6FB194B796F4.jpg

553CE07F-5985-4BA5-8133-1129F5149577.jpg