Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vsawchuk

Need help bauer vapor skates injection stability lacing system coming undone

Hey guys,

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone's Vapor 1x or APX 2 Skates... And if so, what have you done to fix the problem?

Gorilla glue, Epoxy, re-stitching???

Thanks in advance!

-Vinnies-l1600.jpg

Looks like some good glue would fix it. I dont think that eyelet is really stressed much from the laces so anything to just keep it from getting worse would probably be fine.

I saw this once before on a pair of 1X's that Total Hockey had to warranty. On the pair that I saw, it looked as if that piece caught the edge of a board or something. It was more cosmetic than structural and the skates still laced up fine. As far as a fix, maybe heat it up a little and try to epoxy it back down with JB Weld or something. Then maybe you could stitch it back together with a Speedy Stitcher or something but I would imagine it would be tough to go through both pieces of plastic with a stitcher.

So I took a chance!!!! The question I asked earlier was about a pair of barely used Vapor X1's for sale, I got them with that one problem for $288 which I feel is a pretty good deal. Now I hope the JD Weld epoxy does the trick!!!

Howdy,

I've never tried to repair a skate / shoe like that, but I think I'd probably use Shoe Goo or something else that retains a little bit of flex, vs. JB Weld.

FWIW.

Mark

Wow, you got a smokin deal. I would agree with Marka on the shoe goo suggestion, I suggested JB Weld earlier but Shoe Goo would probably work better I just didn't think about Shoe Goo at the time. Shoe Goo will set up clear and does have more elasticity to it. If it were me, again I would heat it up to form that bent piece back down and use Shoe Goo. I would then get a Speedy Stitcher and since there are already holes from the original stitching, it may not be that hard to push the needle through and stitch it for reinforcement.

Since they don't have the Speed Plates, I would try and pick a pair up on ebay or something. I love mine in my 1X'sand they are amazing, I used to use Superfeet and I like the Speed Plates better.

I would use super glue and re stitch through the existing holes, or make them slightly larger with a small drill bit. I don't think shoe goo will hold.

Thanks guys, I currently use Super feet but maybe I'll try to find a pair of speed plates. As for the Shoe Goo and stitch idea... I may take that route.

I would contact Bauer and try and warranty it. Re-stitching that isn't going to hold up like you think, glue won't either it'll be a very temp fix. Bauer may cover that even outside of the 90 days just like they were doing with NXG broken tendon guards

I would contact Bauer and try and warranty it. Re-stitching that isn't going to hold up like you think, glue won't either it'll be a very temp fix. Bauer may cover that even outside of the 90 days just like they were doing with NXG broken tendon guards

I bought them from a very reputable ebay seller... Therefore I won't have a retail receipt, do you think Bauer would still entertain a warranty/replacement without a receipt??

I think the best approach is a cobbler - they should be able to get that part of the boot on a sewing machine. I tried to get a shoe repair place to sew in new tongues once but they couldn't get it on their machine. So I used gorilla glue and it worked perfectly. Given the spot that you have there, you'll want a flexible hold so gorilla glue isn't the best. And also it looks like threads are torn so that could worsen over time. That's why I say the best bet is a re-stitch of that area and possible further up to make sure it doesn't worsen. Should be easy for any cobbler honestly.