Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
S5281

Been using skates too big my whole life ... The trials and Tribulations

Playing hockey my entire life - parents always buy you skates to "grow into."

At my adult age - after a few different skate purchase/trials- my TRUE sz (toe brushing caps) but not cramped when I skate is a 7D - (263 holder) ...

PROBLEM

I have learned (over 10+ years) to play hockey in skates too big / larger boot / holder. (272 minimum) 7.5EE was my last pair of XXXX's in juniors (Way back when-wrong size) both width and length

NOW:

My proper sz is a 7D - w/ a 263 feels small Owned and skated on a pair well over a year) Played with radiuses - going to 10ft / etc - Do-able? Sure - but always feel my strides shortened (5'11/180 pounds on a 263)

Prior to the 7D 7.0 - Had X60's 7.5 / W 272's thinking back one of the best skates I've owned. Yes - toes weren't brushing cap / but heel didn't slip/move around/ and played balanced - enjoyed them having the 272 runner under me suited me better I believe>?

Buying new Skates now

Go true to sz - 7D w/ 263 runner and force myself after yrs to adjust? OR go that .5 sz larger with the 272 and stay in the comfort zone

If you like having the 272 holders so much, why not just have a pair installed on a pair of 7D that fit you?

Swiss cheese boots? Or newly drilled holes too close to pre-existing ones perhaps - being so close in size

Go for best fit as that will give you the best performance. The 9mm difference in runner length should have no effect on stride length.

I think you'll be fine going up a Tuuk size.

I'm 5'11, 170 lbs and wear a size 6 skate so it's a trick I've used in the past just to have that extra blade length for stability and push off on toe.

Had a pair of size 6 Grafs with 254's and moved into 263's with ease. No issues with drill hole overlap. Outsole of skate will be fine with your "swiss cheese" concerns.

I'm currently in Bauer Vapor x:60's (the top line at time version) and would consider going up a Tuuk size if I replaced now that you've reminded me of this past manuever.

Cheers

The added holder size absolutely does make a difference for me - I am that sensitive w/ my skates.

At my Height / Weight a 263 doesn't suffice - or at least fit my playing style which isn't going to change much after 10+ years

The X60 7.5D was great / no pain fit well / performed fantastic / no heel slippage / locked down - but sold because I realized I could go down .5 a size to get that "perfect fit"

That being said went to the X7.0 in a 7D w/ 263 and though boot felt fine - just as it did on the X60 / except a tiny less room now - I had the problems on the 263 holders

It pains me to buy a new skate - then have to re-drill for bigger holders

The 1X / and X90 both felt great in store in 7D's - and thats the unfortunate part - they have that tiny holder ...

Maybe it's time to look into GRAFS

Edited by S5281

You do not "need" to be brushing the cap. If your heel is locked properly, going up a half size is perfectly fine.

Remind me to never have you fit me for skates. 0.o

• Like 1

Bauer skates in 7D and 7.5D will both have 263 holders and steel. 7.5EE will have 272 runners. If you're that sensitive then just just swap out the 263's for 272's. You will have to have holes's drilled, but it's done all the time without any issues.

• Like 1

Remind me to never have you fit me for skates. 0.o

Either you're joking, or you clearly think you know more than you do. I've got 40 years of hockey experience, and was an instructor at a hockey school for elite players. Half a size is completely personal preference, as long as your heel is properly locked in, and your foot isn't moving around.

• Like 1

Bauer skates in 7D and 7.5D will both have 263 holders and steel. 7.5EE will have 272 runners. If you're that sensitive then just just swap out the 263's for 272's. You will have to have holes's drilled, but it's done all the time without any issues.

Interesting. - So the pro pair of X60 7.5D's must have spoiled me to the comfort on 272'

Any reputable shops to do the work? TSR perhaps?

Either you're joking, or you clearly think you know more than you do. I've got 40 years of hockey experience, and was an instructor at a hockey school for elite players. Half a size is completely personal preference, as long as your heel is properly locked in, and your foot isn't moving around.

All I am saying is, that is an exception, not a rule of thumb for fitting. There is no good reason to go up half a size. Others have already said that a profiling would fix this. Also a skate even half a size too big can mess with your stride. Even though your brain can compensate, changing your stride because now your skates are too big and your toe wants to touch down before it should can lead to long term groin/hip etc., injuries.

Interesting. - So the pro pair of X60 7.5D's must have spoiled me to the comfort on 272'

Any reputable shops to do the work? TSR perhaps?

Most likely someone who requested one size up on the holders. As to who can do it, where are you located?

All I am saying is, that is an exception, not a rule of thumb for fitting. There is no good reason to go up half a size. Others have already said that a profiling would fix this. Also a skate even half a size too big can mess with your stride. Even though your brain can compensate, changing your stride because now your skates are too big and your toe wants to touch down before it should can lead to long term groin/hip etc., injuries.

And ironically I got a bad groin injury while skating on the 263 holder X7.0's ...

Most likely someone who requested one size up on the holders. As to who can do it, where are you located?

Am on the West - but want work done right if I do it this way - TSR has pretty good rep from what I know in terms of repairs / mods on bauer skates

Messing with the runner is probably the easiest thing to do and where you'll get the most options for customization. Easier and cheaper to swap out runners than holders and there's a TON you can do with the steel to get it feeling just right. Talk to the guys at No Icing, I'm sure they'll have a solution for you, they'll do changes for free too if it doesn't work right away.

I bet if you had a taller runner with a flatter profile you could get the same feel as a longer runner that you used to have.

Edited by rawkstar

Sorry I took a shot at you. I had my bell rung right before I saw your post so I was woozy. I was just trying to get to the bench and saw your post at the last second. I couldn't avoid drilling you in the back! :P

All kidding aside, while I agree that a textbook fit is brushing the cap, there is some room for personal preference. A half size isn't very much and some people do not like to feel the cap at all, while others like their toes smashed up against it. My opinion is, if you have solid heel lock and no side to side movement, you're ok with the half size up. You are entitled to disagree with me.

• Like 1

Messing with the runner is probably the easiest thing to do and where you'll get the most options for customization. Easier and cheaper to swap out runners than holders and there's a TON you can do with the steel to get it feeling just right. Talk to the guys at No Icing, I'm sure they'll have a solution for you, they'll do changes for free too if it doesn't work right away.

I bet if you had a taller runner with a flatter profile you could get the same feel as a longer runner that you used to have.

I've worked with no Icing - and others. Gone through god knows how much $$$ and different profiles - never quite felt the same as having the extra 272 under neath.

More then anything I think the 272 being longer just provides better stability / balance overall

Seems not many have been in this same situation to really know what I'm talking of - even though from an outsider - that 9mm of difference sounds like nothing - hockey is a game of fine tuning

I've gone from 280 to 272 and vice versa without too much trouble. The toughest thing for me when going to different holders/steel has been the excess heel/toe height that some manufacturers have gone to. That made even my normal profile feel like I was stuck on the tracks.

Well it sounds like your only option is to get that 272 holder under the boot, nothing else will do the trick. Buy the skates that fit you best and then put on the larger holder.

that or just untrain yourself and get used to the shorter runner.

Personally I would recommend just getting used to the shorter steel, you're going to buy another pair of skates eventually, and every time you do you'll have to mount a different size holder on them every time. That's a lot of hassle and a lot of extra money. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I've been through all of this nonsense.

I went from a larger pair with a 263 to a smaller pair with a 255.  I was looking to shed weight.  I skated on them for an entire year, probably 150 times total.  The skate was lighter by nearly a 100 grams per skate, and the boot was certainly tighter, but caused me no pain, or fit issues.  However, no matter what I did, profile, pitch, technique, I couldn't get used to the smaller holder and runner.  My balance was all off on the shorter blade.  

As it turned out, 9mm and a half size made a huge difference for me.  People say you won't notice, people say it is all in your head, people say you will adapt.  For some people that might be true.  For others, it isn't.  In my case, there isn't one aspect of skating that isn't significantly better for me when I skate on a longer runner and bigger boot.

Long story short, if you are picky and precise, you will not rest until you get your skates dialed in, and there is no single, perfect prescription for this.  It is completely personal.  It cost time, money, and a lot of experimentation and frustration, but that is the trade off, and it is worth it when you finally hit your spot.  If hockey is your hobby, then it pays to take the time and money to fine tune.

Edited by Theloknesmonster
spelling

If you're having heel slippage in a skate that's a half size smaller, that might be an indication that you're still in a improperly fitted skate. Just a though. Have you tried other lines? Have you tried superfeet to stabilize your heels?

For me, when I was growing up I skated on skates too big. I wear 7.5 shoes and was in size 6 skates in my teens. Over the years I went smaller and smaller. I'm in size 4.5s now.  My last pair of skates were 5s, and when I went to 4.5, I began having stability issues. Thought it was user error but changed my profiling to a simple 12' and that fixed things for me. 

Edited by puckpilot

The preference differences are interesting to ready about.  I went for a 9.5 to a 10.5 due to a poor fitting and couldn't believe the difference it made in feel on the ice.  Back at a 9.5 where I should be.

Just get272s put on. It's already been stated that it can be done without compromising the boot with additional holes. If you're concerned about it, have the shop fill them with epoxy.  Or maybe even try some jb weld epoxy putty.

If you don't want holes at all then go full custom and get Bauer CCM or whoever to mount 272  holders on the boot. 

As someone mentioned, for Bauer, 7.5d is still 263. Ee is 272. 

CCM, however, uses 272 holders for size 7d though. 

Edited by Sniper9

20 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Just get272s put on. It's already been stated that it can be done without compromising the boot with additional holes. If you're concerned about it, have the shop fill them with epoxy.  Or maybe even try some jb weld epoxy putty.

If you don't want holes at all then go full custom and get Bauer CCM or whoever to mount 272  holders on the boot. 

As someone mentioned, for Bauer, 7.5d is still 263. Ee is 272. 

CCM, however, uses 272 holders for size 7d though. 

CCM uses 263 for 7D/EE and 7.5D/EE for retail and only change to 272 in size 8D/EE.