Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

Skate liner wear

Hey guys, looking for some suggestions or ideas as to how to repair the liner that is wearing away in my Supreme 190's. The wear marks are around the top eyelet and edge. Essentially where Bauer has the wear patches on their MX3 skates. I've only had my 190's for about a year and didn't really expect to see this type thing happen so soon. Also, I don't flop my tongues so it's not from my shins rubbing on the skate. Thanks!

I've had the same issue with all my skates, I assume it is from the tongues rubbing against those places whenever you flex forward (so every stride basically). I've simply glued in leather patches the same shape as Bauer did on their newer models, haven't had a problem since.

I had the same liner in my prior skates Vapor Xshift pro and it was already wearing down in the same area after 4 months of use and had to get the top eyelets repaired on both skates. Maybe Bauer should consider putting wear patches in the inside because the material they use on the abrasion patches seem very durable.

I have no wear problems on my current skates 1X yet.

I've had the same issue with all my skates, I assume it is from the tongues rubbing against those places whenever you flex forward (so every stride basically). I've simply glued in leather patches the same shape as Bauer did on their newer models, haven't had a problem since.

I'm curious as to what kind of glue you used. Also, I wonder if it is possible to sew to the liner? I'm going to start looking for some material this weekend

I had the same liner in my prior skates Vapor Xshift pro and it was already wearing down in the same area after 4 months of use and had to get the top eyelets repaired on both skates. Maybe Bauer should consider putting wear patches in the inside because the material they use on the abrasion patches seem very durable.

I have no wear problems on my current skates 1X yet.

I get trying to create a light weight moisture wicking liner material but that can't be the skates Achilles heel. It makes me miss the Clarino from my old One95's.

I'm curious as to what kind of glue you used. Also, I wonder if it is possible to sew to the liner? I'm going to start looking for some material this weekend

I get trying to create a light weight moisture wicking liner material but that can't be the skates Achilles heel. It makes me miss the Clarino from my old One95's.

I've used Barge cemet (w/toluene) with good results. Follow the instructions and it's a great bond for leather to leather applications.

Not sure if this helps - but I have found that my shin guards are the culprit for the wear and tear on my 190s.  I was lucky enough to have Bauer send me a replacement pair of skates after having them for 18 months and ending up with 1/2" size hole in the liner near the top eyelet (Bauer only replaced after a good faith attempt at repairing them using TSR in NH - which failed miserably).  After inspecting my shin guards I saw the discoloration and wear on the bottom of them (where the fabric of shin guard meets the skate boot).  I went to a fabric store and bought some thin faux leather material backed with felt.  Sewed up the spots on my shin guards (covering the wear spots) and haven't had an issue since.  Was too afraid to glue anything to the skate liner...

I called Bauer through their warranty department, provided photos of the damaged skate boot, and sent them in as they requested.  They offered to fix the skates by sending them to TSR in New Hampshire.  TSR did a horrible job - when I received them back they had glued some thick pieces of leather to the liner and then attempted to squeeze new eyelets back on.  First skate laced them up - eyelets blew out.  Called/emailed Bauer back and given the skates had been damaged based off warranty repairs they approve - BOOM new skates.  Very odd circumstance - not something I suspect happens often.  Was lucky...

Hey guys, wanted to follow up on this. 

After inspecting the wear area I found that the problem was where the stitching on the tongue met the liner by the top eyelet was the problem. First I tried glueing in some wear patches over the damage but that didn't last long. I then did what I should have done in the first place, I sewed some boat seat vinyl over the areas of the tongue that were rubbing and causing the tears. It was a pain to sew in and I broke a couple of needles but it has held up really well and hasn't caused any additional damage.