Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pghdev

Baking crazy amounts of times to completely break down the skate?

Okay, I've searched for the answer (or at least some good opinions) on this for months and have come up empty.

I typically bake my new skates 2-3 times and then break them in by skating. I skate 5-7 times a week. (I go through a pair of skates every year/year 1/2). But the first 5-6 times on the new skates are horrible due to the stiffness and my horrid Fred Flintstone feet. Once I break them in, of course, they're great.

My question.. Would I be able to break down the skate completely by baking them say 10-15 times? I don't care about premature death of the skate. I already go through a pair every 12-16 months anyway and if they made something that fit me like a pair of skates that were 6-months broken in already, but said "this skate only lasts you a week" I'd buy a new pair of skates every single week.

Unfortunately, that doesn't exist so I'm trying to figure out some new trick that would let me break down the materials and stiffness so it felt like a well-worn already pliable instead of having to suffer through uncomfortable skating for weeks.

Any thoughts/Ideas?

Thanks!

I can't imagine you are accomplishing much beyond the third bake besides breaking down the boot. Have you considered buying a softer boot to begin with ( non curve composite, Mako, VH etc) ?

If you haven't or don't already, skate barefoot. Your boot will break in and mold more quickly due to sweat and moisture.

Also, why not just order custom skates? It would lengthen the amount of time you have with each pair and shorten the amount of time needed to break them in.

Buy high end retail skates and get them stretched / punched at your LHS or do it yourself as I do. I have the same issue in Vapours, wide foot in a narrow boot (I need the heel lock). One bake then 2 days per boot on a frame with some c-clamps then 2 or 3 spot punches and they fit like a glove, turns a D into a EEEE across the forefoot and zero break in time.

You'll likely increase the potential for premature failure of the adhesives used to build the skate.

I try a softer boot, maybe a TecMesh from Bauer or see if Graf still offers a leather boot.

Honestly, I feel like there's a fit issue here.

Try going into a reputable LHS and get fitted from scratch.

The best alternative are VH custom skates, since you're spending that kind of bank on skates already.

I can't imagine you are accomplishing much beyond the third bake besides breaking down the boot. Have you considered buying a softer boot to begin with ( non curve composite, Mako, VH etc) ?

I haven't used the Makos because the boot was way too narrow for my feet, and have been hesitant to try VH since the last thing i wanted to do was add an additional grand to the cost of my skates with the same horrible break-in results. (Although reading more about the VH's here: https://sharpskates.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/review-vh-footwear-custom-skates/makes me think that it could be a real solution) I will contact VH and talk to them, perhaps that's the answer. Thanks, Monty!

Buy high end retail skates and get them stretched / punched at your LHS or do it yourself as I do. I have the same issue in Vapours, wide foot in a narrow boot (I need the heel lock). One bake then 2 days per boot on a frame with some c-clamps then 2 or 3 spot punches and they fit like a glove, turns a D into a EEEE across the forefoot and zero break in time.

I've never done the C-clamp thing (are you saying you just clamp them down around the boot and crank it down? I'm not sure if I'm picturing the technique accurately), but I have done everything else many times, tried on many different skates, manufacturers, models, sizes, different heat techniques, etc... to no avail. I've never been able to overcome the uncomfortable 7-10 game break in where I feel like a skating Frankenstein for the first couple of weeks. After that, the skates are awesome and I go back to business as usual. I may have to go with the VH customs like others have suggested.

Thanks, very much, for the comments,

Pete

I haven't used the Makos because the boot was way too narrow for my feet, and have been hesitant to try VH since the last thing i wanted to do was add an additional grand to the cost of my skates with the same horrible break-in results. (Although reading more about the VH's here: https://sharpskates.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/review-vh-footwear-custom-skates/makes me think that it could be a real solution) I will contact VH and talk to them, perhaps that's the answer. Thanks, Monty!

Makos can be very hard to get into and feel extremely narrow before baking, but are very responsive to heat and open up with a good bake. Ideally you'd try them on at a shop that allows baking before buying. With that said, if you have truly wide feet then going to EE Makos would make sense. I have a very wide forefoot and wear EE Makos.

If you haven't or don't already, skate barefoot. Your boot will break in and mold more quickly due to sweat and moisture.

Also, why not just order custom skates? It would lengthen the amount of time you have with each pair and shorten the amount of time needed to break them in.

I've skated barefoot for about 30 years of my 40+ playing. And yeah, with so many other members suggesting custom skates that looks like the way to go. Thank you.

-1 for goin barefoot. Slippery feet 10 mins into an ice time does not help no matter how tight your skates are.

I should think you should definitely try some Grafs IMHO. They come in different flexes these days.