Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/files/file/196-2016-true-hockey-catalogue/

Sticks -

True has updated their A-Series line for 2016. While the majority of the features from the previous line carry over into the new line, the difference is what has been done to the blade.

Their Braided Rib Technology consists of two braided carbon fiber tubes that run the length of the blade. One is in the center of the blade, and the second one is below, in between the center tube and the bottom of the blade. It being a braided tube also means that the fibers are continuous, helping to prevent cracks. This blade has been added to each of the A-Series sticks for 2016.

This has resulted in a 50% stronger blade than last year's A-Series AB II blade.

The A6.0 SBP (strength/balance/power) comes in at 400g at senior and in 6 patterns. Matte grip finish with a double-concave squared-corner shaft dimension.

The 5.2 SBP also features a BRT blade. That one is coming in at 420g, 6 patterns.

And even yet, the 4.5 SBT is what True is calling their "team" stick - typically what is the price point right above top end from most competitors. BRT blade, 6 patterns, coming in at 445g.

The 2.2 comes in at 490g under $100. 3 patterns, 2 flexes.

The 6.0 SBP also comes in shaft and blade form; both standard and tapered offerings.

Xcore carries over from 2015.

Gloves -

True has two glove families for 2016 - The X series, which is an anatomical fit, and the A series, which is a classic 4 roll glove. The top end gloves share the same technologies - EPP protection with PE inserts on top, nylon and their Trueflex lock thumb. However, the story is the palm.

Both the A 6.0 SBP and the XC9 have a removable palm.

The way the Z Palm works is that there is a continuous zipper that starts at the base of where the palm meets the back cuff and continues along the outer of the gusset. The zipper is on the top part of the gusset so it isn't felt when the glove is on your hand. The top of the zipper is bound so that once the zipper is done, the teeth are tucked underneath.

The Z Palm comes with 5 different options - standard, which is 1mm Clarino with an .6 overlay. The Z Pro is .6 Clarino, which makes for a very thin palm. The Z-Grip is .75 AX Suede with a .5 grip overlay and has a grip print in the index and middle fingers. The Z-Fit is .6 Torray with a .6 overlay, making it a flexier palm. The Z-Power is 1mm Clarino and a 1mm overlay, with a .6 overlay on the index and middle fingers.

The neat thing about this is that all of the palms are interchangeable. For instance, on custom gloves that I have made in the past, I always go for the thinnest possible, but typically go with an overlaid palm on my top hand. This would be possible with these gloves without going with a custom order.

The 4.5 glove and XC7 glove are slightly down spec'd - no Z-Palm and the EPP foams are 4mm smaller than the top-end glove.

• Like 1

That zipper system is really interesting. It seems that the interchangeable palms are one-site-fits-all? Or perhaps the replacements are specific to glove size?

I'm a little wary of exposed zippers on the gussets though, just in terms of a safety front. It would make for a brutal face washing :P

Palms are definitely innovative! So how would this work in retail? I assume retailers would have samples of the different palms, to order from True if (and only if) a customer requests it? For True to carry stock of 4-5 different palms in 3 sizes each seems like a lot...

That zipper system is really interesting. It seems that the interchangeable palms are one-site-fits-all? Or perhaps the replacements are specific to glove size?

I'm a little wary of exposed zippers on the gussets though, just in terms of a safety front. It would make for a brutal face washing :P

Yes - 13", 14' and 15".

No - once the glove is zipped up the binding hides the zipper completely.

Palms are definitely innovative! So how would this work in retail? I assume retailers would have samples of the different palms, to order from True if (and only if) a customer requests it? For True to carry stock of 4-5 different palms in 3 sizes each seems like a lot...

No. Dealers will stock replacement palms and there will be a POP to display them.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Jason here, been on Modsquad for a long time and a lot of you may know me from the past being with another Hockey company that is no longer doing hockey, but still doing the Softball/Baseball thing. I am currently the Project Coordinator for TRUE Hockey and will continue to be on this thread and others, so if you have any questions let me know and I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.

The replacements are specific to glove size as palms fit differently for size on a different size glove. The zippers are not fully exposed once zipped and are up closer to the padding on the gusset, so face washing shouldn't be an issue.

As JR Said the palms are sold on a program to Dealers and they will be able to stock all the palms and put them on a POP rack. The palms come as a set and will be able to be ordered to fill in gaps as they sell through. It may seem like a lot, but we wanted to start with options so we could meet the demand of many different players and what they look for in palms.

I'm a fan of replaceable things until the replacements become unavailable. Usually much earlier than you expected.

This is a system that we have developed to last a long time, so we are not planning to have this for a year or two and then be done with it. We plan to have these as options even if we make a tweak to the glove and update it in the future. We want the palms to work with that glove

Their gloves look weird though.

When taking the pictures in the catalog, we were trying to get each attribute across. As a whole, the gloves have the traditional glove shaping that has been popular for sometime in the hockey equipment industry

These palms are very interesting. Would have to see one in person before I order though, I'm too skeptical.

Something this innovative and game changing will draw some skepticism, but this is something that has been in testing for close to two years and is definitely an item that we believe in. We don't look to be the me too, we are looking and trying for common sense innovative designs that will still have the traditional look and feel, but offer something new and different in that certain category.

The True reps at Summer Jam last year mentioned these were in the works. Nice to see they were able to get them to market. Intriguing concept.

As I said, this has been in the works for sometime and it is great to see it out there being used.

Edited by jdksaves
  • Like 4

Tried on the gloves at WF and the palms were neat. The glove didn't fit me well so it was hard to tell how much I'd like them overall, but the concept is definitely good. Will wait till I can try on some properly fitting gloves to give a fuller opinion.

Tried on the gloves at WF and the palms were neat. The glove didn't fit me well so it was hard to tell how much I'd like them overall, but the concept is definitely good. Will wait till I can try on some properly fitting gloves to give a fuller opinion.

I'd be curious to know what you think when you get a chance to feel the gloves in the right size and fit, as a lot of players have told us they feel great, but they were putting on the proper sizing right away.

Awesome to see the new catalog. True has been on my radar, but I've run into issues when the urge was to buy a True Product (typically have not been able to source the item I wanted (sold out) or unavailable at the local store when visiting.

My biggest concern with True was that they may have decided to fold up the store as the product that is being updated was not that old (or maybe time is just flying by with me).

I like the glove palm zippered option. I think it allows for more customization for a player without True having to have a company overstock various models or to have custom gloves made. They also have the Ottawa colorway AND a 2nd glove model (non 4-roll).

Also they will have the A6.0 shaft availalbe in a tapered model in 75 flex. I was going to go after the current model, but most of the blades I have purchased lately are tapered...so this is all good for me to see.

Thank you for posting the catalog!

Cannot wait to pick up an A6.0 tapered blade in the tc4 pattern

Not sure if it was mentioned previously, but wanted to point out that True offers a 30 warranty on the blades as well.

Really interested in the replaceable palms. No one does new palm work in AZ and if I can just go to my LHS or order new palms online versus ship my gloves out I'm in. Loving my XC9 stick too.

Had a feeling JDK was back in the game with some of the previous comments in the True thread. Welcome back, still blown away by the SJ "samples" from the other gig.

• Like 2

The zipper palm system will either go down as one of the greatest innovations or the dumbest of ideas. It just seems like it's one of those things where it either works really well or it doesn't work well at all. No middle ground.

Edited by Troubadour

Finally a tapered shaft, gonna need to stock up on a bunch of these in 75 flex!

And I am glad someone else is old enough to remember the Rawlings zipper palm, I am gonna go back to yelling at those kids to get off my damn lawn now.

Really interested in the replaceable palms. No one does new palm work in AZ and if I can just go to my LHS or order new palms online versus ship my gloves out I'm in. Loving my XC9 stick too.

That's great. We are going for that to an extent, but it is also a performance enhancing/custom option presence we are trying to have with the replaceable palms. Great to hear you are loving the XCore 9, trust me you're not the only one.

Had a feeling JDK was back in the game with some of the previous comments in the True thread. Welcome back, still blown away by the SJ "samples" from the other gig.

Thanks, It's great to be back. Hoping I can make an appearance at SJ this year, but may not be able to pull off another sample thing like in the past.

The zipper palm system will either go down as one of the greatest innovations or the dumbest of ideas. It just seems like it's one of those things where it either works really well or it doesn't work well at all. No middle ground.

With the testing we have done, we believe its something that works very well. Also the response we have gotten from consumers is even better than we anticipated from the start.

Finally a tapered shaft, gonna need to stock up on a bunch of these in 75 flex!

And I am glad someone else is old enough to remember the Rawlings zipper palm, I am gonna go back to yelling at those kids to get off my damn lawn now.

It's amazing how much call we have been getting for the shaft and blades. It nice being in the position we are in that we can provide a product like the shaft and blades that other brands have totally given up on. Obviously there is still call for them.

Edited by jdksaves
  • Like 2

Let me be the first to ask what is MSRP on the zippered gloves and replacement palms. Thanks.

The MSRP's are as follows:

12" A6.0 or XC9 is $159.99

13" and 14" A6.0 or XC9 is $179.99

Z Fit and Z Pro are $59.99

Z Grip and Z Power are $49.99

Z Stnd is $39.99

Edited by jdksaves

The MSRP's are as follows:

12" A6.0 or XC9 is $159.99

13" and 14" A6.0 or XC9 is $179.99

Z Fit and Z Pro are $59.99

Z Grip and Z Power are $49.99

Z Stnd is $39.99

Is there a reason I missed for their being no 15"?

I used a pair for a bit at the SFS show. I didn't notice the zipper, but for my liking the gussets were a little thick. Conceptually it's very interesting. Interested in the durability and longevity.

Who's your target for these gloves? Surely not competitive youth (rep) teams, as they usually get bulk team orders in team colors, and will outgrow gloves fast enough to dissuade a $180-$240 investment for a pair of gloves on their own dime.

Rec players? Men's league guys who want durable palms? I can't imagine many men's league guys wanting to spend $40-$60 on top of their $180 initial investment just to try a different palm.

Why would retailers want to devote so much inventory and floorspace to a product that's so specialized and niched? Why not just have retailers carry sample palms?

Edited by AIREAYE