Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caps06

Making 15 gloves fit like 14s

I recently purchased a pair of 15 inch gloves (Nexus 800).  I did this over the 14s because the cuff on the 14s had dug into my skin and restricted my movement.  The 15s fit me in terms of the palms and body. They do not fit in terms of fingers.   They are a tad too long,  any idea how I can get them to fit a little smaller?  Looking for DIY methods.

I've never done fingers, but I got a thing for vintage gloves, so I've cut down the cuffs a few times to wear with modern elbow pads. In principle, it's the same process, but I'm not sure it's worth the time to do 8 times (assuming the thumbs are OK): You find the seam near the tip, slit it open, cut out some padding, and then sew the outer material back together and trim off the excess material. It's an all-day project to do the cuffs on gloves, because you have to cut the thread without damaging the piping, pull out the padding and the hard plastic insert, cut the plastic and the padding, and then you need to sew back through the original piping and the material underneath. I used regular thread doubled, but next time I do this kind of thing, I might try light fishing line. If the fingers have piping, it will work; if they don't, there's a risk that after you sew them closed, they'll keep fraying at the edges and eventually open back up. Obviously, you also have to cut and sew up all the leather of each finger, too.

The leather ones below are an "after" picture of a teammate's gloves. I didn't take a "before" shot, but they started out with 4 eyelet holes instead of 2. The nylon ones below are a "before" picture of one of the old Coopers that I use. The cuffs now end right at that white line in that orange & black "C" logo there. I'll take a another picture of them and post the "after."

2015-02-1221.32.41.jpg.0db72f5b7f7fedf11

Cooper2.thumb.jpg.51e8e54a02d9615487131a

1 hour ago, Caps06 said:

I recently purchased a pair of 15 inch gloves (Nexus 800).  I did this over the 14s because the cuff on the 14s had dug into my skin and restricted my movement.  The 15s fit me in terms of the palms and body. They do not fit in terms of fingers.   They are a tad too long,  any idea how I can get them to fit a little smaller?  Looking for DIY methods.

I can't think of an easy method of doing so. Removing the stitching from the last half to quarter inch of the fingers, then removing some material and sewing it back together is the only thing that I can come up with off the top of my head. It won't shorten the padding and will put a little arch in the outside of the finger but it should make it feel more snug. 

37 minutes ago, YesLanges said:

I've never done fingers, but I got a thing for vintage gloves, so I've cut down the cuffs a few times to wear with modern elbow pads. In principle, it's the same process, but I'm not sure it's worth the time to do 8 times (assuming the thumbs are OK): You find the seam near the tip, slit it open, cut out some padding, and then sew the outer material back together and trim off the excess material. It's an all-day project to do the cuffs on gloves, because you have to cut the thread without damaging the piping, pull out the padding and the hard plastic insert, cut the plastic and the padding, and then you need to sew back through the original piping and the material underneath. I used regular thread doubled, but next time I do this kind of thing, I might try light fishing line. If the fingers have piping, it will work; if they don't, there's a risk that after you sew them closed, they'll keep fraying at the edges and eventually open back up. Obviously, you also have to cut and sew up all the leather of each finger, too.

The leather ones below are an "after" picture of a teammate's gloves. I didn't take a "before" shot, but they started out with 4 eyelet holes instead of 2. The nylon ones below are a "before" picture of one of the old Coopers that I use. The cuffs now end right at that white line in that orange & black "C" logo there. I'll take a another picture of them and post the "after."

2015-02-1221.32.41.jpg.0db72f5b7f7fedf11

Cooper2.thumb.jpg.51e8e54a02d9615487131a

20 minutes ago, Chadd said:

I can't think of an easy method of doing so. Removing the stitching from the last half to quarter inch of the fingers, then removing some material and sewing it back together is the only thing that I can come up with off the top of my head. It won't shorten the padding and will put a little arch in the outside of the finger but it should make it feel more snug. 

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, Chadd said:

I'm only talking about the palm material, not the padding or even the gussets. 

so unstich it and then restitch it somewhere else?

Chadd: When the format of this forum changed the other day, I was able to post and (for the first time ever), also able to upload those 2 photos the way I do on other forums and insert into the post. Until today, I was unable to reply again (on any thread) or to edit my post in this one or to send any messages. Until today, nothing happened when I put my cursor in the Reply box and the Edit function only allowed me to enter a reason for editing but not to actually edit the post. Now, I don't see any tab to allow me to upload any new files...it will only let me insert the 2 photos already uploaded the other day. I tried to do them as 2 different urls from ZippyShare, but it doesn't look like it's going to work.

Here's the finished product of the cut-down Cooper Pros. CoopersCut1.jpg  

43 minutes ago, YesLanges said:

Chadd: When the format of this forum changed the other day, I was able to post and (for the first time ever), also able to upload those 2 photos the way I do on other forums and insert into the post. Until today, I was unable to reply again (on any thread) or to edit my post in this one or to send any messages. Until today, nothing happened when I put my cursor in the Reply box and the Edit function only allowed me to enter a reason for editing but not to actually edit the post. Now, I don't see any tab to allow me to upload any new files...it will only let me insert the 2 photos already uploaded the other day. I tried to do them as 2 different urls from ZippyShare, but it doesn't look like it's going to work.

Here's the finished product of the cut-down Cooper Pros.

file.htmlurl]

put this in the bug thread

On 2/20/2016 at 1:00 PM, Caps06 said:so unstich it and then restitch it somewhere else?

Sorry man, I've been sick with the flu all week. I'll try and post a pic of what I mean later tonight.