Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimmyTheDriver

Trying to move down in flex proving difficult

I was recently gifted a Stealth CX, 75 flex.  I cut it a few inches.  Had it out for the first time last week and had the hardest time getting used to that noodle feeling.  Felt similar to the 75 Tacks I had, also weird.  I'm 6ft 180lb. Got a few fast shots off, but overall, it just felt sooooo soft.  Stick handling almost felt a millisecond delayed if that makes sense.  Was fed 2 one timers and they were a disaster.  I've always floated between 80-90 flex, and this just feels wild.

Is this something I could ever get used to?  Or are these lower rated flex sticks reserved for smaller players (except for pros like Kessel and Ovi)?

Thanks,

Jim

I put myself in a similar situation experimenting with my stick flex this weekend. LHS is getting rid of last years models so I picked up an Ultra Tacks Intermediate 65 flex for $125 just to feel it out, took off an inch. I had been using the 75 flex Tacks but had to take 3 inches off, so maybe around 80-85. I am 5'10" 210 Lbs, but hadn't played since the only option was wood so I never learned proper technique for flexing the stick while shooting like you can now. I have been slowly moving to whipper and whipper sticks hoping to build the muscle memory and feel of flexing the stick with the softer stick before moving back up. I started with a 85 flex before chopping using the weight based recommendations, but I would say height, skill and personal preference play a large role. One guy I skate with is shorter than me and couldn't weigh 180 soaking wet, but has one of the best shots using a 100+ flex stick.

The first pick up game I played was a learning experience for sure. It felt like the stick was flexing just stick handling, the little accuracy I have was gone, but it sounded like my shots where harder when they hit the glass behind the net! Towards the end of the night I was starting to get the hang of it, so I am hopeful I will have it figured out soon.

I dont mind a low flex if the kick point is really low. When i try a mid kick thats 75 flex it just feels weird, like the stick is just flopping around.

I had experimented with lower flex, but never really liked it much. gave it half a year and my shots are just way better with 85 flex, and handling etc was a lot better as well. 

I would give it some time, but it may not be for you as everyone is individual in this regard. 

They definitely arnt just for smaller guys or pros, I'm 6'2 200lb and use a 75 flex with a 3" extension and shoot and pass just fine, I really think it's just personal preference and playing style. You mentioned you got a CX and previously used a Tacks, the CX is a low kick and the Tacks is a mid, that could also be playing a roll in some of the effects you noticed. If you didn't like it at all I wouldn't bother experimenting, but if you found you liked some aspects definitely give it a try and see if it improves

A few others have made some good points.  My thinking is you really need to be able to compare using almost the same same stick but with a different flex.  So do not go and try to find a new brand and say HEY I would like to try that stick, have no history with it and then also want to go into a lower flex.  ideally you would want the exact same model and curve, and then try the different flex.  That way you have an acurate assesment of what difference is occuring with the shift to the lower flex.

I'd be patient and give it time. Once you get the hang of it, you may just never go back. I went from a 100 to 85 and it was the best decision I've ever made. Let the stick do the work for you.

I am 6 ft 3, 215lbs, and use a 75. I have played around with 85 recently. My shots are definitely harder with the 85 but I have to really lean into them to see the difference. In games where you don't have time to load up for a hard wrister I can get better shots off quicker with 75. Took me a while to get used to it a few years ago but I am sticking with my 75's.

I've used anywhere between a 70 and 100, but have spent most of my time with 80-85.

Between the flexes, I find that with the 80-85 is the most consistent. I could still hit the target with a 70, but just felt the shots were lagging. I dont normally feel the stick flex like you see someone leaning into the shot. 

Appreciate the input fellas.  I likely just need more time.  It was also a pretty drastic curve change - so points taken - I need more time with it.

Unfortunately I was just diagnosed with torn ACL - maybe something sweet will come out in 2017 when I can play hockey again ;)

3 hours ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Appreciate the input fellas.  I likely just need more time.  It was also a pretty drastic curve change - so points taken - I need more time with it.

Unfortunately I was just diagnosed with torn ACL - maybe something sweet will come out in 2017 when I can play hockey again ;)

That's a total bummer man, hope it heals quick so you can get back out there. Best of luck with the recovery. 

Best wishes on the recovery, it sucks losing long periods of time to injuries. 

As for using a whippier flex, feeling it kick slightly on quick stick handling plays is common. Same thing with catching hard passes, if you don't trap them to some degree. When it comes to shooting, you have to feel the stick load and time your shooting motion to the kick of the stick. Often, that means slowing down your hands when compared to stiffer sticks. When taking one timers, or slappers, you really have to work on making a smooth shooting motion and you can not power your way through the shot. Doing that will guarantee that the shaft torques or the puck is off the blade before the shaft is able to add kick to the shot. 

When one-timing with a more flexible shaft I consciously try to more just skim the ice as opposed to bearing down like with a stiffer shaft. It took me a while as I had the same results for a while as you on one timers: a disaster.

19 hours ago, Chadd said:

Best wishes on the recovery, it sucks losing long periods of time to injuries. 

As for using a whippier flex, feeling it kick slightly on quick stick handling plays is common. Same thing with catching hard passes, if you don't trap them to some degree. When it comes to shooting, you have to feel the stick load and time your shooting motion to the kick of the stick. Often, that means slowing down your hands when compared to stiffer sticks. When taking one timers, or slappers, you really have to work on making a smooth shooting motion and you can not power your way through the shot. Doing that will guarantee that the shaft torques or the puck is off the blade before the shaft is able to add kick to the shot. 

I agree. I do notice at times when I'm just taking my time and try to warm up the goalie nicely, My shots are perfect. Once he's all warmed up and ready to take full on shots, I start getting inconsistent. Same thing when I'm in a game vs. messing around at stick time or pickup. I know I have to work on being smoother and that usually means I have to slow things down. Thanks for the reminder.