Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunder_Dad

Roller Hockey Skates for big guy

I did some searching and found a couple answers but most of the players who are big and looking are still 50 pounds lighter than me. I wanted to get a little more insight from another message board.

With the better weather coming and the rink closing, I need to keep working on my skating. I'm 6'3" and 320 and losing still.

Right now I am in a Nexus skate for ice because of my caveman feet, so I need a wide and high volume skate. As of now I am looking at the Mission DS4. I tried on a regular width on Saturday and it was little snug so I am thinking the EE will be fine.

I was just wondering if there was another line or skate that I could look at or is the DS4 the bare minimum I need for my size?

The local shops are pretty much Bauer and CCM. The one store I went to this weekend has Mission but I tried on the only 11.5 they had. I am part of that iWin program on Ice/Inline Warehouse that has free returns on skates.

The alternative is find another pair of Nexus the same size and convert but in the long run will end up the same price.

Thanks in advance.

I am a big guy as well, 5'11  255 now, was 305 when I started skating again, definitely has helped me, but not wanting to spend an arm and a leg, I went for the Mission DS5, also in EE, and have been very happy, first inline skate I found that fit my forefoot,  my first try, CCM, even in an EE were too narrow. 

Good Luck!!

Thanks. I was looking at the DS4 at first. I went with the Tour 725 to try first. They were $250 but they had a 25% sale so got them, harder wheels, and bearings shipped 2nd day for less than the skates originally  I got them from inline warehouse and can return them for free if needed.

If they don't work I'll check out the DS5s.

Edit: Just saw that Bauer stuff dropped in price. I can get Nexus skates and do a conversion for a little more money and know the fit.

Great Stuff, looking at those Nexus right now for my Son!!

Also forgot to mention, we had some extra Swiss bearings lying around, so the DS5 definitely needed that, the included were not good. 

Cheers,

The Tours I got from Inlinewarehouse needed the harder wheels. If you buy 8 wheels you get better bearings for 50% off. I grabbed the wheels with the 25% off and the bearing. 

Theyre supposed to to be here today. If they don't feel right I'm ordering some Nexus and have hockey monkey convert them.

YMMV, but I just bought a pair of Alkali RPD Lite +, and following the listed molding instructions have created great results.  I have TOUGH feet to fit.  Small, wide up front, narrow heel, deep instep, pronounced heel.  For ice, I was running Bauer Vapors in a EE, and had to have the forefoot punched.  The heel was ok, but never great.  Now in some Graf 535 wides.  Those have been best fit by far... now Alkali's after a 9 minute bake, 2 minutes standing, 10+ sitting provide similar width to the Grafs and nearly equal heel lock.  I have been incredibly impressed with how moldable the boot is. 

Got themtoday. 

Just by sliding them on right out of the box.......holy crap are they roomy. 

I can't imagine how they'll be after a bake.

i wish I could find a skate like this for ice. My nexus are great but they need a little work still.

On March 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Thunder_Dad said:

Got themtoday. 

Just by sliding them on right out of the box.......holy crap are they roomy. 

I can't imagine how they'll be after a bake.

i wish I could find a skate like this for ice. My nexus are great but they need a little work still.

You can take Visium skates and put them on ice.  I use my Alkali skates for ice.

5 minutes ago, Justin 1933 said:

You can take Visium skates and put them on ice.  I use my Alkali skates for ice.

Awesome. I may have to look into this.

I just sat in them for a few minutes and the left one is perfect, like as of now no bake comfy. The right, which is my problem foot in terms of size and width is a little hot on the sides but will mold nice I think. 

On 3/1/2016 at 11:13 PM, gokdog said:

I am a big guy as well, 5'11  255 now, was 305 when I started skating again, definitely has helped me, but not wanting to spend an arm and a leg, I went for the Mission DS5, also in EE, and have been very happy, first inline skate I found that fit my forefoot,  my first try, CCM, even in an EE were too narrow. 

Good Luck!!

Where the hell did you find DS5s in EE? Pretty sure only the DS4s and above are available in that size.

have a good news/bad news update to this thread and my experiences with the Mission DS5 skate for a big guy.

Started to have some bowing in effect on my skates recently, especially as the night wore on, after careful inspection, they had started to crease in, this is after 9 months of weekly to twice weekly use.  

Talking to some of the older guys with a lot more experience, they were mostly of the opinion that this was to be expected, again for someone my size, currently down to 245lbs :)

Good news part of this, I guess I am back in the market for skates, and my question is, would a stiffer more expensive skates (several 2014-2015 models on sale) last longer for my size?

The DS5s, with better bearings and wheels were ok.   Thoughts?

Thanks,

A stiffer skate will definitely help, more carbon and therefore more resistance to the dreaded crease. But on the downside it means more pressure on your foot, the boot is creasing because you are leaning on it and it is giving way slightly until it eventually breaks down and starts to fold. A high end boot should not crease but it means the boot can dig into your foot and possibly cause pressure issues.