Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gemini8026

Got a E28 blade, trying it out, shoot from toe?!?

Hey kids, my LHS had a cool deal on an Synergy HTX .  100 flex and an E28 curve.   Ive used my  E3 for years, and have no complaints with it, but a couple friends of mine have E28's and they swear they cant go back to anything else.  However I was told you need to "shoot from the toe".  Anyhow, I have a decent shot and know the basic mechanics, but I am curious if there is any guide or suggestions to learning this technique.  I took it out for one rec skate, and I found it was a unique curve.  On one hand my toe drags were great.  I had trouble accepting some passes on the backhand but that is expected.  Anyhow, shooting was a chore though, and I just am not sure what mechanically I need to focus on.

Anybody have any articles/vids/ or quick tips?!

Thanks.

FYI, I play ASHL hockey here in Canada.  I play in every division (mostly C and B, but can compete at the A level somewhat)

Yes use the Toe. It shoots best with an outside-in toe drag shot. From an extended position, Raise the heel, downward pressure on the toe draw the puck in rip through while flexing through the wrist.  Think of a push of the bottom hand and pull of the top hand as well.

I too switched from the e3 to the e28. A big thing to focus on is pulling the stick closer to you while shooting, especially off of your off foot (right for righties, and left for lefties) while flexing the stick as much as you can. Also try to release the puck more quickly than you previously would have. Load up before you shoot and snap if off as quickly as possible. This took me a while to get used to but im glad i tried it.

Kovalev's shooting video is also good. There he's doing a wrist shot off the toe, without as much curve, but with a rounded shooting-off-the-toe blade profile. The way he talks about mechanics of the shot, where to put your hands, when to press on the shaft, etc., work perfectly for that curve. Also, if you watch it in slow motion, when he's actually shooting at the end, he even lifts his front leg off the ice. He gets serious weight transfer going.

Heel-to-toe works well too, with one catch: you need to release from the point just before where the rocker comes up at the toe. So you're not actually shooting heel to toe but more like heel-to-just-past-the-middle of the blade. If you wait to release until you're at the toe, you'll get a fluttering shot as the puck only has partial contact with the blade face when it's that far toward the end of the blade and the blade face is open.

Heel to toe works well too especially with heel/mid curve but the focus is on E28 curve and how to use it.

On 3/5/2016 at 2:11 AM, romdj said:

Heel to toe works well too especially with heel/mid curve but the focus is on E28 curve and how to use it.

I was talking specifically about heel-to-toe with an E28 curve. A lot of people here have written that it doesn't work, and I had that experience at first but then adjusted, so I just wanted to share the part that I found made it tricky.

The Kovalev video was just to show another description and demonstration of body positioning when shooting with a lot of rocker.

Making sure the puck is positioned on the toe, hands out front, and leaning into the shot are what make the E28 a great pattern. If you're not used to shooting off the toe, putting some practice into the setup will allow you to focus less on it during a game and just purely execute. Once you can get the gist of the technique down, the 28 is a deadly pattern. You can really utilize a lower flex with the pattern.

You can still shoot Heel To Toe effectively with the e28 curve. Like most things, it just takes practice and patience. Being able to shoot effectively HTT and Toe makes one a better shooter.

11 hours ago, Machinehead2k5 said:

You can still shoot Heel To Toe effectively with the e28 curve. Like most things, it just takes practice and patience. Being able to shoot effectively HTT and Toe makes one a better shooter.

This is very true and I think from experience, If shooting from the heel, I don't wind up as much. Facing away from the net I can start shooting from the heel with a sweeping wrist shot just in line with my back foot as oppose to winding up behind me more.  Have to roll the wrist  more though to keep it under the crossbar. Shooting from the toe certainly does require a bit of a pull before release. If you do it right shooting lasers can be effortless. 

As others have said, you can shoot from the heel. But the shot off the toe is what the curve is designed for. You will need to pull the stick in closer to your body and get over it. You need to get some flex in the shaft (like Kovy says).

Here is Tofolli's goal (LA Kings) just the other night against the Blackhawks.

Hey. I just switched to this curve as well. I noticed that the place that I really had to make adjustments was on those quick release shots. The ones where you have to release the puck quickly because of pressure, traffic, etc. I found that getting the way ahead of the puck in those instances really helped in shot velocity and placement. Shooting off the toe is also very key. What I have figured out yet, is the shooting in stride with this curve. I'm coming from an h-11, which is like a mix of an old madano and the new version of the sakic. It's a tough shot to master. 

Bottom hand high, or dropped down? I can shoot with the toe curves much better now, but I have to drop my bottom hand a bit. But if you see Jeff Carter shoot, or on Tavares' initial shot on Luongo just before he went behind the net and eliminated the Panthers, they keep the bottom hand high. It almost seems to cross the midline of the torso before the shot is released.

I usually drop my hand since it is my dominant hand. And since I have this tendency, I usually don't cut my senior sticks. I could probably get away with having my right hand higher up if I used sticks with more flex. I usually use anything over 90-95 flex when I leave sticks uncut.

On 5/1/2016 at 9:04 PM, ktang said:

Bottom hand high, or dropped down? I can shoot with the toe curves much better now, but I have to drop my bottom hand a bit. But if you see Jeff Carter shoot, or on Tavares' initial shot on Luongo just before he went behind the net and eliminated the Panthers, they keep the bottom hand high. It almost seems to cross the midline of the torso before the shot is released.

I typically drop my bottom hand a bit, and get my best shots when my hand placement/mechanics are similar to Tofolli in the clip posted up thread.  (Though I cannot shoot anywhere near as well as that.)