Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2016 CCM Super Tacks

On March 5, 2016 at 8:44 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

The Ultra Tacks skate falls under Super Tacks.

Chances are you will see more NHLers in the Ultra than the Super.

A) why is this the case? Just because guys are used to the more traditional set up?

B) if pros are more apt to opt for the lower model, why would us mere mortals go for the super line?

I  have a question about the mid-level Tacks models, compared to the past (2014) Tacks models.    FWIW, my question is based on price point assumptions.

Is the 2016 6092 similar to the materials and stiffness of the 2014 5052 (judging by price point..2014 5052 at $429 and the 2016 6092 at $449)?   Was looking for a stiffer boot, so if they are comparable that means a jump up to the 2016 Ultra Tacks at $699 since there is not another mid priced boot between those two models.  Hope what I'm asking makes sense!

Thanks!

On 6/24/2016 at 0:35 AM, BelangerJS said:

Good question on the fit. In general (and i have to use this term because fit comparisons are incredibly subjective as I'm sure you know), players we tested wearing skates like yours preferred the JetSpeed EE fit, and when it came to Super Tacks there was a move to D (because Super Tacks fit slightly wider than JetSpeed).

The real question is if you like how "very snug" you are in your current skates. If you like it, i would suggest an 8.5D in Super Tacks, whereas if you would like a little more room, then opt for the 8.5EE. 

I hope this helps.

JS

Thanks for the info I'm trying to decide if the D width will be alright for me. I use yellow superfeet and powerfoot inserts as well if that means anything.  

I've read a couple of reviews where people have said the boots seem to run a little short so they are suggesting people go up a half size? Have you heard anything like this?

• Like 2

Would the T-form core of the boot be reactive enough to form to sharp bones like accessory navicular syndrome or bone spurs?

wondering about that "truly customizable 360 fit" for people with weird feet.

Edited by Nilizum

On 7/4/2016 at 9:56 AM, CB1 said:

I  have a question about the mid-level Tacks models, compared to the past (2014) Tacks models.    FWIW, my question is based on price point assumptions.

Is the 2016 6092 similar to the materials and stiffness of the 2014 5052 (judging by price point..2014 5052 at $429 and the 2016 6092 at $449)?   Was looking for a stiffer boot, so if they are comparable that means a jump up to the 2016 Ultra Tacks at $699 since there is not another mid priced boot between those two models.  Hope what I'm asking makes sense!

Thanks!

I can help here.

There has been a significant upgrade in the mid-level boot quality and stiffness since the 2014 model. It started with the JetSpeed line and will continue through the 2016 Tacks line as well.

The Tacks 6092 is comparable in price to the old 5052, but the boot material is a much higher grade composite material that is lighter, stiffer and more durable than the material used in the 2014 Tacks and 2013 RBZ skates. If you look at the CCM website, you will see that it is named a Power Form Composite. 

I should note, as well, that the Ultra Tacks uses a Carbon Fiber material, which is the highest grade material in the Tacks line (and stiffest), so that is your best option if you're looking for the stiffest boot at a price point below the Super Tacks.

On 7/5/2016 at 8:16 AM, SCATMAN said:

Thanks for the info I'm trying to decide if the D width will be alright for me. I use yellow superfeet and powerfoot inserts as well if that means anything.  

I've read a couple of reviews where people have said the boots seem to run a little short so they are suggesting people go up a half size? Have you heard anything like this?

Yes, those reports are correct. 

If you were wearing a 2014 Tacks, a 2015 JetSpeed or any pump skate, you will now move up 0.5 sizes in the 2016 Tacks line. 

On 7/5/2016 at 7:18 PM, Nilizum said:

Would the T-form core of the boot be reactive enough to form to sharp bones like accessory navicular syndrome or bone spurs?

wondering about that "truly customizable 360 fit" for people with weird feet.

Fair question. The boot fits a lot of players very well right out of the box. Some players require a standard heating to push out very minor pressure points to get a perfected fit, or just to get a preferred wrap over the top of the foot to look the entire foot into the skate. The skate adapts extremely well to micro customizations like these.

For bone spurs, you will need to punch out the skate.

On 8 July 2016 at 0:17 AM, BelangerJS said:

If you were wearing a 2014 Tacks, a 2015 JetSpeed or any pump skate, you will now move up 0.5 sizes in the 2016 Tacks line. 

I got a chance to quickly try on a pair of the ccm super tacks today.they only had a size 8.5D  which I thought would be the correct size for me adding .5 plus I was wearing thicker socks than normal.but there seemed to be too much room in the toe box.ive heard of other people ordering .5 bigger and the skates being to big.

my shop doesn't have the sizing tool for supertacks in yet they just have the foot disk which I was sized as an 7.5.

currently wearing a pair of the reebok Ribcor skates (2014).

so would 8D in the supertacks be the correct size being 0.5 bigger than the size on the foordisk? And the 8.5 supertacks being to big?

On 7/7/2016 at 7:15 PM, BelangerJS said:

I can help here.

There has been a significant upgrade in the mid-level boot quality and stiffness since the 2014 model. It started with the JetSpeed line and will continue through the 2016 Tacks line as well.

The Tacks 6092 is comparable in price to the old 5052, but the boot material is a much higher grade composite material that is lighter, stiffer and more durable than the material used in the 2014 Tacks and 2013 RBZ skates. If you look at the CCM website, you will see that it is named a Power Form Composite. 

I should note, as well, that the Ultra Tacks uses a Carbon Fiber material, which is the highest grade material in the Tacks line (and stiffest), so that is your best option if you're looking for the stiffest boot at a price point below the Super Tacks.

Thank you for the information, that helps tremendously.   My son's 2014 5052 boots creased and concaved, and it was suggested we move to a stiffer boot, thus the questions about stiffness and materials.   With that said, he still LOVED those Tacks skates.  He is wearing JetSpeeds at the moment (had to punch out in forefoot).

Not to open a can of worms, but I see where some shops are carrying something called Tacks Vectors, which can be somewhat confusing for us consumers.   For instance is the Tacks Vector Pro an upgraded 6092 like they suggest?  Trying to make sense of the CCM regular models, and then these "other" models.

Again, thanks for taking time out here to respond to everyone's questions!!!

On 7/14/2016 at 8:37 AM, CB1 said:

Thank you for the information, that helps tremendously.   My son's 2014 5052 boots creased and concaved, and it was suggested we move to a stiffer boot, thus the questions about stiffness and materials.   With that said, he still LOVED those Tacks skates.  He is wearing JetSpeeds at the moment (had to punch out in forefoot).

Not to open a can of worms, but I see where some shops are carrying something called Tacks Vectors, which can be somewhat confusing for us consumers.   For instance is the Tacks Vector Pro an upgraded 6092 like they suggest?  Trying to make sense of the CCM regular models, and then these "other" models.

Adding 0.5 to the foot disc is generally good practice. Based on your feedback, i would definitely recommend a size 8. 

There's a LHS near me that has a bunch of demo Super Tacks 

I havent asked yet, but will they allow you to bake these, then take them for a test spin?

It seems these will fit most foot types, but they aren't really really good until you bake them

and the whole point of the boot construction IS to fully customize them to your foot w a bake, no?

can these boots be baked more than one time?

Edited by enis750

On July 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM, BelangerJS said:

My son has outgrown his RBZ's size 4.5d (toes touching the toe cap). He tried on a 5.5 Super Tacks and while his toes were not touching, they fit like a glove but he is still growing.  I know u can't say for sure but what is your gut feeling of the size he would need in either the Tacks or Ultras?  I need to get some time out of them without going too big, as he is growing like a weed, LOL!

18 hours ago, enis750 said:

I havent asked yet, but will they allow you to bake these, then take them for a test spin?

It seems these will fit most foot types, but they aren't really really good until you bake them

and the whole point of the boot construction IS to fully customize them to your foot w a bake, no?

The skates come with a very anatomical fit right out of the box (more so than any skate we've ever launched), so many players are able to get a great feel for the skates and the responsiveness of the one-piece boot frame without baking them. We ran most of our retail staff demo events with no ovens, so people tried them and enjoyed them with the out of the box fit. 

You're 100% spot-on when you say that a major point of a fully heat moldable 1-piece carbon fiber boot is to micro customize it to the foot in order to get max benefits out of the skate.

So, it is really up to the store if they will allow for baking of the skates. It's their pair. We recommend to bake the skate twice at most. If they don't allow baking, i still think you will get an excellent feel for the advantages of the MonoFrame 360 technology, and an even better experience with your own pair once you heat mold them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tstef said:

My son has outgrown his RBZ's size 4.5d (toes touching the toe cap). He tried on a 5.5 Super Tacks and while his toes were not touching, they fit like a glove but he is still growing.  I know u can't say for sure but what is your gut feeling of the size he would need in either the Tacks or Ultras?  I need to get some time out of them without going too big, as he is growing like a weed, LOL!

Great question, i know sizing for a growing kid can be tough. You want to give the kid a skate that fits them well so they can perform, but you don't want them outgrowing skates too quickly.

The size 5.5 Super/Ultra Tacks is a smidge longer than the RBZ. However, it's the last size in JR skates, where you get to have the skates at $300 less than SR skates (starting at size 6). For this reason, it might be worth it for you to get him the 5.5 if he is comfortable for some short term $ savings. If he feels like a size 6 fits him well too, then you will be spending more for the SR skate, but you know you'll get more time from the skates. 

There's a tradeoff in both cases. I hope this helps you make a decision. Good luck!

3 hours ago, BelangerJS said:

Great question, i know sizing for a growing kid can be tough. You want to give the kid a skate that fits them well so they can perform, but you don't want them outgrowing skates too quickly.

The size 5.5 Super/Ultra Tacks is a smidge longer than the RBZ. However, it's the last size in JR skates, where you get to have the skates at $300 less than SR skates (starting at size 6). For this reason, it might be worth it for you to get him the 5.5 if he is comfortable for some short term $ savings. If he feels like a size 6 fits him well too, then you will be spending more for the SR skate, but you know you'll get more time from the skates. 

There's a tradeoff in both cases. I hope this helps you make a decision. Good luck!

Thanks......we decided to go with size 6 Ultras, the 5.5 Supers fit like a glove so he wouldn't have them long.  I have officially crossed over to senior sizes, LOL!! 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2016 at 7:37 AM, CB1 said:

The Vector series of skates are SMUs for SFS and another buying group dealers. CCM offered some amazing products at great price points for the consumers, so if a store is apart of this I would be surprised if they didn't purchase them.  We've been overjoyed with these SMU skates. The Vector Plus & Pro are insane quality for the price. 

On 2016-07-19 at 7:53 PM, enis750 said:

Yes they can be baked; and more than once.

Amazing update: I have been using Bauer skates since X60 (former top model) with APX, APX2 till the recent 1X - and finally had my first on ice session with the new SuperTacks. 
So to say - even with the very first session (I was somewhat unsure how adapting to the new skates and holder etc. after coming from Bauer will be) I have to say that these skates are by far the best skates I have ever worn / used! Just within the very first minutes I had to smiley - so easy, fluently things were going. They are tremendously responsive, agile and provided an unprecendented feedback that was just awesome. Actually every aspect of skating improved - start / stops, tight turns, ... 

Just two things that need help:
a) I was so excited about the new skates that I had to convince my brother to try one too (currently on Nexus). In the story he tried a size 8EE - which suited nicely in terms of boot length though he had massive pain in the forefoot, so especially where the toes start (which is the widest of the foot) the boot is too narrow. So is there a chance when baking the skate to extend / widen that part?

b) My very first skating session was great, though at the end I had some severe pain in the "navicular bone" on the left skate (see picture). It got really swollen. Any idea what to do to avoid that? Should I rebake the whole skate or trying to heat that area, or other treatments? 

53961929808ffb32ce26d7481624d980171b913b

Edited by markush

Put some lipstick on your bone and then foot in the boot, the lipstick will transfer to the boot and give a mark as to where to punch. Then get the boot punched out and you will be fine. Or do it yourself, it's not hard with about $10 - $15 of parts. this is one of the easiest punches you can do.

As you were in apx2's, how would you compare them in the heel area for width and overall length? Would you say they are narrower in the heel?

Nice idea :)

concerning the heel lock which is very important to performance and comfort I'd also say this is the best fitting. The 1X is actually really good too - better compared to APX2. supertacks is a tiny bit narrower than 1X but the great heel lock along with the overall seem less & tight fit makes this not just a high performing skate to me but also a very comfortable. 

and length comparison to 1x / apx2's?

19 minutes ago, markush said:

Nice idea :)

concerning the heel lock which is very important to performance and comfort I'd also say this is the best fitting. The 1X is actually really good too - better compared to APX2. supertacks is a tiny bit narrower than 1X but the great heel lock along with the overall seem less & tight fit makes this not just a high performing skate to me but also a very comfortable. 

It's actually quite close to APX2/1X though a bit lower - and also closer to the foot providing a better mobility - and still keeping great stability. 

Never had better tight turns :)

I think I'm going to give the new Tacks a try. After all, they have the money back guarantee if returned within 30 days. Currently in a Graf Ultra G5 that I have not been happy with for the last 4 years...but kept wearing in order to get my "moneys worth".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markush said:

Amazing update: I have been using Bauer skates since X60 (former top model) with APX, APX2 till the recent 1X - and finally had my first on ice session with the new SuperTacks. 
So to say - even with the very first session (I was somewhat unsure how adapting to the new skates and holder etc. after coming from Bauer will be) I have to say that these skates are by far the best skates I have ever worn / used! Just within the very first minutes I had to smiley - so easy, fluently things were going. They are tremendously responsive, agile and provided an unprecendented feedback that was just awesome. Actually every aspect of skating improved - start / stops, tight turns, ... 

Just two things that need help:
a) I was so excited about the new skates that I had to convince my brother to try one too (currently on Nexus). In the story he tried a size 8EE - which suited nicely in terms of boot length though he had massive pain in the forefoot, so especially where the toes start (which is the widest of the foot) the boot is too narrow. So is there a chance when baking the skate to extend / widen that part?

b) My very first skating session was great, though at the end I had some severe pain in the "navicular bone" on the left skate (see picture). It got really swollen. Any idea what to do to avoid that? Should I rebake the whole skate or trying to heat that area, or other treatments? 

53961929808ffb32ce26d7481624d980171b913b

I played on Friday night and I had the same pain in the same spot, on each foot.  Got them baked again and a small punch on Saturday and skated yesterday.  Pain was still there but was much less than before, so I took them back afterward and got another small punch to them and I think that will do the trick.  The punching kinda scuff up the boot a little but I figured that would happen.  It could have also been from the heat gun they used to heat a little before punching... not sure.

Overall though, they are AMAZING skates... like you said, probably the best I have ever used.  The difference in turning and explosiveness is very noticeable to me, as I was coming from older skates (NBH One95).  

Edited by Fletch

36 minutes ago, beedee said:

I think I'm going to give the new Tacks a try. After all, they have the money back guarantee if returned within 30 days. Currently in a Graf Ultra G5 that I have not been happy with for the last 4 years...but kept wearing in order to get my "moneys worth".

The money back guarantee is 90 days with the Super Tacks :)