Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2016 CCM Super Tacks

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:29 AM, GQRDY said:

I'm presuming it will be ok to use superfeet/powerfoot with these skates if we wanted to?

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, IW Team - Chase said:

I'm using both with no issues. The toe box is already fairly short so I don't use the shim for the Power Foot insert. 

I'm away to pick up my Supertacks next weekend and have a pair of superfeet carbon pro hockey I want to use. Do I bake the skate with the regular footbed then swap it out for the superfeet one they have cooled?

Question and Helpful Information.

Size 7.5 Sketcher sneakers.

I've got a question that I've asked multiple people that work in the industry before and have never been able to get a 100% guaranteed answer.

Are the CCM JR size skates constructed with the exact same materials and stiffness as the senior skates?

Does it depend on the model and company? I know the JR Grafs were listed at a 45 stiffness vs the senior 75/85

Is it possible to get size 5.25-5.5 with a wider forefoot for the price of JR Super Tacks $599?

I seem to be about a size 5.25 in most skates which lands me between a 5.0 and 5.5.

I own Tacks 5.5 EE which had to be punched out in the forefoot (still too tight at the front) and my heel doesn't get a desirable lock (feel like ankle floats a bit).

Skated on demo Super Tacks a few months back during my Local CCM fair.

Was pressed for time because they were packing up so I put a size 5.0 on one foot and 5.5 on the other and proceeded to skate around.

The 5.0 felt a tiny bit tight length wise (toes touching toe cap) and gave me a weird pressure point on the inner side of my foot near the arch.

The 5.5 felt good, no pressure points but I could tell was a little too lengthy.

I'm currently skating on Grafs G9035 6.0D.

When I first bought them my big toe skimmed the top cap but as the skate took shape to my foot I no longer touch the toe cap and the skate actually feels a tiny bit lengthy.

The Grafs are by far more comfortable than my CCM Tacks but they are definitely heavier and I felt a HUGE decline in my ability to perform sharp turns and quickly accelerate. Tacks also feel quite a bit stiffer and actually protect my feet a lot better. I've taken pucks off of the Tacks before and the worst reaction I had was ouch I felt that. With the Grafs when pucks hit off my skates I usually feel a bit of pain and one time I took a moderate beer league slap shot off of the inner ankle bone that ended my night. I honestly think I would've been fine had I been wearing my Tacks.

The sizing charts on HockeyMonkey list all three skates Tack 5.5, Super Tacks 5.5 and Graf G9035 6.0 at 24.8 CM, size 7.0 US Shoes.

As far as the costume insoles that came with the Tacks, I used the arch machine at my LHS that suggested I was a Med Arch. I skated with those insoles for a very long time but I felt that It was causing me to stand awkwardly on the outer edges of my skates which I believe ended up worsening my knee problem. Once I went back to the standard insoles it felt much better.

The insoles that came with the Grafs feel great but I'm hesitant putting them into new Super Tacks and baking them upon purchase.

This started out as a question but I felt this information could be useful to people with sizing questions.

Update: Tried 5.5D at LHS today. Felt like a good fit from mid foot back, nice tight ankle lock and support. From mid foot forward it felt tight though specially near the pinky toe. I didn't even bother trying the 5.0D on. The 6.0D felt too lengthy specially when I leaned forward, I could also tell that the heel was slightly looser. There is a very noticeable size difference in the tongue used between the 5.5 and 6.0.

Not sure if the difference I'm feeling between these and the ones I skated on are because these had never been worn unlike the demo models or if there has been some sizing adjustment before they released them.

Edited by Shaine

I had a chance to try on both the Super Tacks yesterday and a middle of the line Tacks 5092 skate (current model) last week.

I tried on the 5092 skate last week because the store I was in didn't have the Super Tacks in any wide sizes close to mine. The toe box area of the 5092s felt really tight and it was downright painful where the toe box met the boot.

With the Super Tacks in the same size I still felt some uncomfortable pressure around the toe box, but not the serious pain I felt with the 5092s. The seamless toe box is definitely noticeable with the Super Tacks and it's obviously not a feature that's carried down to the lower models.

I was impressed with the heel lock on the Super Tacks in EE - there was no heel movement at all when I laced them up and walked around. I have a narrowish heel, but a very wide forefoot so a lot of the times skates that work for my forefoot don't lock in my heel well. The heel felt perfect and the skate felt fine through the midfoot as well - it was the forefoot/toe box area that felt quite tight for me even in EE. Perhaps a bake would help with that area, but the toe cap definitely felt narrower and less ergonomic than the EE Mako toe cap I've been using.

It's a very stiff, well built skate, but I don't know if the toe box will work for someone with extremely wide forefeet.

I have a quick question.

I ordered a pair of Super Tacks in size 7.0. I figured it would fit lengthwise, because a size 6.5 jetspeed is the perfect length.

But I touch the toecap in the Tacks while standing and still grace it when in a knee bend. So my question is, will my heel sink back about 2 to 3mm when baking or breaking in the skates? Or should I try to order a size 7.5?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Hank_33

On 6.8.2016 at 3:20 PM, Hank_33 said:

I have a quick question.

I ordered a pair of Super Tacks in size 7.0. I figured it would fit lengthwise, because a size 6.5 jetspeed is the perfect length.

But I touch the toecap in the Tacks while standing and still grace it when in a knee bend. So my question is, will my heel sink back about 2 to 3mm when baking or breaking in the skates? Or should I try to order a size 7.5?

Thanks for the help.

This is really funny to read as I and a few other guys came across the same question. There seems to be quite a big difference between the 7.0 and the 7.5 of the SuperTacks. So it depends on how much the difference really is in length (the insole is a good indicator for that to see) - and if you are willing to take the risk that at the end they still may be a big too short.
So far a friend tried the 7.0 which gave him a great, snug fit but were the first 2-3 weeks length wise a bit too short ... but said after that periode they fit him that perfect because as you mentioned the heel went back a tiny but as the materials inside maybe just adapted a tiny bit.

So it's up to you which route you go ;) 
I for myself went for the 7,5 but just had 2 skates with them ... so hard to tell how much they "loosen up"

On 8/6/2016 at 9:20 AM, Hank_33 said:

I have a quick question.

Thanks for the help.

I can say for sure this happened with my Graf G9035.

I have generally stuck with Bauer for my skates but CCM is starting to sell me on their gear. These Skates look pretty awesome. I am still sporting a pair of Vaper X:60's but they are starting to get pretty chewed up so I may be in the market for new ones. Tacks have peaked my interest.

On 8.8.2016 at 0:23 PM, markush said:

This is really funny to read as I and a few other guys came across the same question. There seems to be quite a big difference between the 7.0 and the 7.5 of the SuperTacks. So it depends on how much the difference really is in length (the insole is a good indicator for that to see) - and if you are willing to take the risk that at the end they still may be a big too short.
So far a friend tried the 7.0 which gave him a great, snug fit but were the first 2-3 weeks length wise a bit too short ... but said after that periode they fit him that perfect because as you mentioned the heel went back a tiny but as the materials inside maybe just adapted a tiny bit.

So it's up to you which route you go ;) 
I for myself went for the 7,5 but just had 2 skates with them ... so hard to tell how much they "loosen up"

9 hours ago, Shaine said:

I can say for sure this happened with my Graf G9035.

Thank you both. I went ahead and ordered a 7.5 to try on and it feels much better, still gracing the toecap while standing. The 7.0 might have worked after baking and some time, but I didn't want to risk being stuck with too short of a skate given the price point, so I sent it back.

Pleasant surprise: I was worried size 7.5 would come with a 271 holder, because they would be too long for me (had them before and sometimes tripped over my own feet). But they came with a 263 holder, so everything went perfect.

Edited by Hank_33

Can anyone speak to the pitch on the Super Tacks?  Are they forward pithed like a Vapor or more upright like a Nexus or Supreme?  Please forgive the Bauer references. 

I used to skip there to eyelet on my old skates, but the supertacks don't seem to come up as far feel like skipping the top eyelet would be to low.

Does anyone else find this?

On 8/22/2016 at 2:19 PM, JONES199 said:

Can anyone speak to the pitch on the Super Tacks?  Are they forward pithed like a Vapor or more upright like a Nexus or Supreme?  Please forgive the Bauer references. 

Coming from Vapors (original APX), I didn't feel any difference in pitch when switching to the Super Tacks. I haven't used Nexus or Supreme so I can't comment on that reference.

Really tempted to try these out. 

Currently in a Bauer Supreme 190 8D size for a year. Would the Super Tacks be the same sizing? 

I have a navicular accessory bone on my right foot and from reading past posts this boot is very responsive to heat molding. What about heat molding with a heat gun/hair dryer to target that specific spot and then punching it out with the butt end of a screwdriver ala diy :) ? 

Hey guys,

Really interested in these skates.    Hoping to get feedback from anyone who wore Makos in the past.     I wore makos but stopped because they were killing me feet.   In MX3's now and no pain but also way less performance.    Honestly, Mako performance is night and day vs traditional skates.  

So really intereted In hearing feedback from those who have tried makos and are now in Super Tacks.

Thanks !

Chris

21 hours ago, All Flash said:

Hey ChrisB, sounds like you should try VH.......

Just sayin'.

Hi,.  I'm very interested in VH as well,.  But very curious to see if the Super Tacks is on the same level of different performance vs traditional skates.   Meaning like the mako and VH.    

There are no VH dealers in Quebec and I can get a pair of Super Tacks at a killer price.      I have MX3s now and the performance is not as good as the makos, but the makos kill my feet.  

So so looking for mako performance and MX3 comfort.    Hoping the Super Tack is that.....   

thanks 

What were the hot spots or problem areas for you in Makos @ChrisB? A lot of people find them extremely comfy, except for maybe the arch. Not that that was its only problem area, but pain-wise, it seemed that was the most common.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

What were the hot spots or problem areas for you in Makos @ChrisB? A lot of people find them extremely comfy, except for maybe the arch. Not that that was its only problem area, but pain-wise, it seemed that was the most common.

It was heels spurs.    Even with gel pads on.   

• Like 1

Thinking about snagging a pair, currently in APX2 that are pretty broken down and shot and had makos for a bit but needed a stiffer skate due to some ankle issues with my one foot.  I'm into the tech of a monocoque designed boot, and was thinking VH but pretty interested in this package.   Anyone come from an APX2 skate?  negative space drives me crazy and have found a decent way of dealing with it thanks to powerfoot but miss the wrap of makos.   I know I need to get to a shop to try these on, just trying to do some research before I take a 2hr drive to a local shop.  Thanks guys

Finally have the skate dialed, ended up with HIGH arch insole from ccm. It is very rigid and fills the negative space. Very impressed to say the least, edges are under more control and acceleration is instantaneous. If they fit depth wise you wont regret the purchase

It would be great if someone could give us a a long term review of the Super Tacks?  Really curious to hear what people that have worn them for 6 months -1 yr  think of them. My son"s 2014 Pro Stock Tacks have stood up very well after almost a year of skating almost everyday or more  but are starting to show their age a bit now and he's out growing them.  At 6'1" 200 lbs he's not easy on skates and as I mentioned he skates pretty much everyday sometimes a couple times a day due to having Hockey Academy at school and playing rep hockey on top of it. A long term review of the Super Tacks would be helpful  if possible. Thanks ahead of time for those of you that reply.

Edited by Hotwheels
spelling error

11 minutes ago, Hotwheels said:

It would be great if someone could give us a a long term review of the Super Tacks?  Really curious to hear what people that have worn them for 6 months -1 yr  think of them. My son"s 2014 Pro Stock Tacks have stood up very well after almost a year of skating almost everyday or more  but are starting to show their age a bit now and he's out growing them.  At 6'1" 200 lbs he's not easy on skates and as I mentioned he skates pretty much everyday sometimes a couple times a day due to having Hockey Academy at school and playing rep hockey on top of it. A long term review of the Super Tacks would be helpful  if possible. Thanks ahead of time for those of you that reply.

I've been wearing mine since about a month or two after release (3-4 hours a weekend) previously always worn the Ribcor line.After getting them baked they felt really good could feel how well they were shaping to my foot.No hot spots after first skate just a bit stiff so difficult to get them tight enough. Only took about a month (could be less cant remember) to fully break in had no discomfort through all of this time, rubbing or anything.

The boot is a bit lower cut than the Ribcor's so no need to skip the top eyelet. Fits my foot incredibly well and honestly find it more difficult to get my foot into the boot, but once its in feels great hardly any negative space. The boot is really light and stiff and haven't had any issues with durability ( the carbon fibre near the toe cap looks like its cracked but I have been told this is just part of the moulding process). cant remember the name of the new eyelet thingy but its defiantly noticeable and hugs your foot a lot more.

have been hit with pucks on the back, side and toecap if there was any pain it went away very quickly. Only the one on the toecap left me with a small bruise on my big toe.

The only issue I had was with the superfeet carbon insoles sliding forward in the boot when trying to put my foot in no idea why but changing to the CCM custom support insoles fixed the problem.

These have been the best pair of skates I have had buy far, just wish I could have gotten them sooner.

• Like 1

Thanks GQRDY  good to know the stiffness has held up. How's the tongue? The laces always seem to wear through the tongue  around the top eyelet. This has happened on 3 pairs of them although these last pair which are Pro Stock the tongue has held up longer and has just started wearing through the last month or so. The front of the tongue is fine it's the sides of the tongue that the laces eventually cut through,

Edited by Hotwheels