Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MauiMisfit

Skate Selection: Big Guy

Alright, I have a dilemma. 

I have recently decided to get back in touch with my Canadian roots and start skating again. Problem is - I haven't skated in 20+ years (and possibly ~70 pounds). Eventually I want to be able to get back to pick up game level  

I'm a big guy (6'5" & 285lbs)  and my concern is boot stiffness.  Something too stiff and I can't bend my knees, something not stiff enough and I'm inward ankles all day.   

I'd go on down to the local pro shop --- but I live in Hawaii (yes, Hawaii has leagues). So there is nothing in my size to try on. 

So, I'm going on a blind date with my skates and need assistance from you guys  

Right now im leaning toward Bauer nexus 6000 or up a notch to the Supreme 180. 

any recommendations? Would the 180s be too stiff? Would the 6000 flop around?

Are there any shops that sell used roller hockey skates? Try on a few to see what type fits your foot. 

Icewarehous.com  is known to have the best return policy for skates. Not sure how it works for Hawaii though. 

I'm not a fit guru but if you describe the shape or your foot or better yet take pix, people here will be able to help you.

Good luck with your date.

What shoe is a size 13? A running shoe/sneaker or a well fitted dress shoe?

I would second a store with a great online return policy, like IW or Total Hockey. This is going to take some trial and error. 

I'd say the 180 is the starting point. The stiffer the boot the less it it will break down over time. I'm 5'8 250 and I skate 190's which I believe are stiffer than the 180's. I have no problem with that stiffness in the boot. If you are more of a nexus fit look at the 7000 0r 8000. Best thing is you can get some pretty good deals on the Nexus and Supreme lines as the 2016 models are coming out next month.

And boot shapes have changed a hell of a lot over the last 20 years. There is a lot of difference between a nexus fit and a supreme fit. If I were you I'd go and hang out at your local rink/s at a drop in scrimmage, introduce yourself and ask for some help if anyone has a size x skate and if you can try it on for fit. Try to find something that fits you ok and seems to have a reasonable heel lock. Or try local boards, social media etc and ask for help, generally someone out there will have feet your size and be willing to let you try a skate on for fit. Alternatively try somewhere that has public skates for rental ,like ice palace, and see if they have any known brands for rent like Easton or Bauer. Once you have a line (eg Vapour / supreme or nexus)  and a size then you can go hunting for a model to buy.

If you are a sized 13 dress shoe? then I'm surprised your LHS doesn't have skates in the 11 or 11.5 range. 

I was in the same boat. I'm 6'3"  but heavier than you, about 320. Needed stiffness and something that cam in wide sizes.

For sneakers I am in a 14 4E. Shoes I am in a 13 (the widths vary). I ended up in the Nexus 8000 in 11.5 EE. Super stiff boot and fits my wide foot.