Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmfdm86

Using a slightly long stick

So, I'm about three months back into playing after a 15 year hiatus. I'm 6'2" and I've been using a 60" CCM RBZ 260. I keep finding myself wishing I had another couple inches of reach. 

So on Saturday I made an impulse move and went out and bought a 62.5" Warrior Dynasty HD Pro. I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet (only get to play wednesdays and Fridays) but I'm worried I may have gone slightly overboard. Haha. Stick comes up to my lips standing on the end of the toe with skates on. 

Who else around uses an oversized stick? Convince me I haven't made a horrible financial decision. Lol.

Plenty of players use a stick that comes up to their lips, others use longer or shorter, it all depends on what you are comfortable with and the position you play (Defenders often use longer sticks then forwards). I've gone shorter these last couple of years so my stick now reaches to the bottom of my chin whereas it used to be up to my lips.  And if you don't like the length you can always lop an inch or more off the stick at a later date.

I think you will only know once you try it. I use a longer stick than I used to, like VET88 said, it is because I play D and prefer the reach and didn't notice much of a stick handling drop off for me.

1 hour ago, HDHockey said:

I think you will only know once you try it. I use a longer stick than I used to, like VET88 said, it is because I play D and prefer the reach and didn't notice much of a stick handling drop off for me.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for too. Haha. I play forward but I'm definitely more defensively minded. I like interrupting the other teams play. I would probably play D if I was a better skater. My backwards skating is garbage. Lol. Working on it though.

22 minutes ago, Labrat198 said:

You can never have too many sticks.

You can always toss a plug in end of the RBZ if you like the longer stick too.

True. I did consider that at first. Still working on the upper body strength though and I didn't want to have to cut it a few inches and raise the flex rating.

I'm 6'3" (or perhaps 6'5" on skates?) and I've experimented with stick lengths between 60 and 64 inches. 

For a long time I was settled in at 63" as an optimal length, as I could reach and get my stick into many passing lanes defenders thought they had. But lately, I've found my stickhandling is just so much better at a 60 inch length. 

You haven't gone overboard. You may decide you like that length, especially if you are more of an upright skater. If not, just cut that extra off and be happy :P

2 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

True. I did consider that at first. Still working on the upper body strength though and I didn't want to have to cut it a few inches and raise the flex rating.

He's referring to extending your 60 inch RBZ if you like a longer stick, not cutting the 62 Dynasty you bought. Extending will lower the flex and cutting will raise it. If  you decide you like the 60 inch better just cut it down. You can cut the 62 Dynasty to 61 or back to 60. Only cutting an inch or so off is not that noticeable for most people. I use a stick that comes up to my collarbone on skates.

Also have to keep in mind changing the length can alter how your lie sits. 

1 hour ago, Bbd94 said:

He's referring to extending your 60 inch RBZ if you like a longer stick, not cutting the 62 Dynasty you bought. Extending will lower the flex and cutting will raise it. If  you decide you like the 60 inch better just cut it down. You can cut the 62 Dynasty to 61 or back to 60. Only cutting an inch or so off is not that noticeable for most people. I use a stick that comes up to my collarbone on skates.

Yeah. I've never used the extenders before though. Most of the ones I saw were about 4". I guess I could cut the extension? Otherwise on the RBZ that would be 64" which I imagine would be way too long. So I figured I would cut the stick at that point, which I've never done before. Honestly I'm a little concerned about screwing it up.

1 hour ago, Bbd94 said:

I had more passes go under my stick than I can count before I realized I needed to sacrifice some reach to keep my blade on the ice.

Finding the right stick can be a costly endeavor, I am just glad I have enough sitting in the corner now that a new one doesn't stick out to my wife anymore.  :laugh:

18 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Yeah. I've never used the extenders before though. Most of the ones I saw were about 4". I guess I could cut the extension? Otherwise on the RBZ that would be 64" which I imagine would be way too long. So I figured I would cut the stick at that point, which I've never done before. Honestly I'm a little concerned about screwing it up.

You should be able to have a local hockey shop do any modifications you would like. Cutting a wood plug is no big deal, but gluing it in so its solid can be tricky if you have not done it before.  It took me a few attempts before my blade wouldn't get loose when I was using a Two Piece Stick. Cutting the carbon fiber shaft is a doable with a sharp hack saw, but I would let someone who has done it before cut it if your unsure.

As for screwing anything up, as long as your just doing 1 or 2 inches at a time you can always put a different plug in if you cut too much.

3 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Extension plugs are usually around that range but it's no big deal for a shop to put them in.  It's not that hard at all but just like having your sticks cut, I wouldn't recommend for most people to do it themselves. It's usually a free service LHS offer so why spend money on tools. You can cut 1-3 inches off the end plug or end up taking the extension off if it doesn't fit you. No harm done to the stick and plenty of room for error.

What is worth noting is the type of endplug, though. Some people prefer wood or composite. Wood is more common (it's literally just a wooden block) but some people may find it to be a bit top heavy, and it does lighten the blade up a bit too. 

1 hour ago, Bbd94 said:

Extension plugs are usually around that range but it's no big deal for a shop to put them in.  It's not that hard at all but just like having your sticks cut, I wouldn't recommend for most people to do it themselves. It's usually a free service LHS offer so why spend money on tools. You can cut 1-3 inches off the end plug or end up taking the extension off if it doesn't fit you. No harm done to the stick and plenty of room for error.

What is worth noting is the type of endplug, though. Some people prefer wood or composite. Wood is more common (it's literally just a wooden block) but some people may find it to be a bit top heavy, and it does lighten the blade up a bit too. 

Nice. I try to DIY anything I can. Permanent modifications, like cutting a stick, give me pause though.

I had the bicep portion of the cheap ass elbow pads I bought completely separate from the rest of the pad. Don't know how to sew, bought some upholstery thread and sewed it back together then sealed it with some shoe goo. It's holding up pretty good a month and a half later. Lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, guidance and reassurance that I'm not a moron. Haha.

I had been using too long and stiff of a stick for a while now, and only realized it when I got a 57" 55 flex Warrior AX1LT compared to my 65 flex Easton and Rbk intermediates.

Game is tonight. I'm bringing them both and if the warrior feels too awkward I'll stick with the RBZ until Friday at drop in when I can get more used to it in a more casual setting.

6'4'' here. I play defense and found my sticks need to come up to the bottom of my nose in shoes (around/below my chin in skates). Usually I look for pro stocks with an extended 4" shaft for a true flex number compared to using composite plugs in retail size sticks. Basically comes down to what is more comfortable to you on the rink!

First game with the Warrior. First regulation win of the season. Haha. No goals on my part but the extra reach really did leave me feeling I had better control and was more confident moving the puck past defenders. Felt good.

6 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

First game with the Warrior. First regulation win of the season. Haha. No goals on my part but the extra reach really did leave me feeling I had better control and was more confident moving the puck past defenders. Felt good.

Good to hear its working well for you.

Another option for the shorter RBZ is to use it for dry-land. I like my sticks to be about chin height in skates so I cut my old sticks by about 3 inches so they are at my chin in shoes. Based on the lengths you listed I would bet the RBZ is at about the same spot in shoes as the Warrior is in skates. You may want to get a wrap around trainer to protect the blade  though.

31 minutes ago, Labrat198 said:

Good to hear its working well for you.

Another option for the shorter RBZ is to use it for dry-land. I like my sticks to be about chin height in skates so I cut my old sticks by about 3 inches so they are at my chin in shoes. Based on the lengths you listed I would bet the RBZ is at about the same spot in shoes as the Warrior is in skates. You may want to get a wrap around trainer to protect the blade  though.

Good idea.