Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

3 hours ago, greenchris10 said:

I'm new to the board (long time lurker). I ordered the Vortex 2's 6 weeks ago (still not here). Once they arrive, I'll do a full review. 

6 weeks is not normal. I'll mention this to customer service and have them get in touch with you ASAP. 

• Like 1

@phantomowner27, thank you for the excellent customer service. I got my skates yesterday. I baked them and will be hitting the ice on them tomorrow. I'll have a full review posted this weekend.

Without skating on them, I can give some insight to those that are interested in the fit. I've tried on and have skated in just about every skate from a CCM Tacks 952 all the way to a Mako M8. The closest skate I can compare the Vortex 2 to is the Graf 705 (if the 705 had a wide forefoot). The heel, the instep and mid-foot area feel quite comparable as does the boot height. Since this is a one piece carbon fiber skate, the stiffness is much more rigid than the Graf 705, but so is just about everything is the high end skate category. 

Again, without skating on them, I can say that I'm extremely excited about these and as far as fit and construction goes, these have to blow away anything in it's current price range ($349.99).

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have until I'm able to get the full review done.  

1 hour ago, greenchris10 said:

@phantomowner27, thank you for the excellent customer service. I got my skates yesterday. I baked them and will be hitting the ice on them tomorrow. I'll have a full review posted this weekend.

Without skating on them, I can give some insight to those that are interested in the fit. I've tried on and have skated in just about every skate from a CCM Tacks 952 all the way to a Mako M8. The closest skate I can compare the Vortex 2 to is the Graf 705 (if the 705 had a wide forefoot). The heel, the instep and mid-foot area feel quite comparable as does the boot height. Since this is a one piece carbon fiber skate, the stiffness is much more rigid than the Graf 705, but so is just about everything is the high end skate category. 

Again, without skating on them, I can say that I'm extremely excited about these and as far as fit and construction goes, these have to blow away anything in it's current price range ($349.99).

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have until I'm able to get the full review done.  

How is the size lengthwise compared to the Mako M8? 

12 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

How is the size lengthwise compared to the Mako M8? 

This is a challenging question to answer because I have some pretty bad fit issues with the Mako M8. It's my current skate and I dread putting them on every time. I can say that I run a 288 holder on the Makos and am running a 280 on the Vortex. I wear a 10.5 (they're a bit big one me) in the Makos and wear two different sizes in the Vortex (10 and 9.5). 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, greenchris10 said:

This is a challenging question to answer because I have some pretty bad fit issues with the Mako M8. It's my current skate and I dread putting them on every time. I can say that I run a 288 holder on the Makos and am running a 280 on the Vortex. I wear a 10.5 (they're a bit big one me) in the Makos and wear two different sizes in the Vortex (10 and 9.5). 

From the sounds of it, you should be in either a 10 or 9.5 Mako. The fact that they're too long may be causing some of the fit issues as you feet may not be in the right place in the skate. The widest part of your foot could be behind the widest part of the skate and the arch of your foot may not be lining up with the boot arch. Depending on the exact issues you're experiencing, width could also be a contributing factor - maybe you're in a 10.5D when a 9.5EE or 10EE would be the perfect fit. It's impossible to say without you baking and skating in  a different size, but hopefully the Vortex II's work well for you.

With all that said, you know that the Makos are a bit big. If we assume it's a half size then the Mako and Vortex sizing would line up. I tried on the original Vortex skates in 8.5D and they felt a half size too long for my feet. So I think 8 would be the correct length for me in Vortex and wear 8EE Makos. So I think Vortex and Mako sizing for length would be similar. Your experience is consistent with mine for the length.

With the original Vortex, I found the D to be a bit wider in the forefoot than the EE Mako and the heel to be MUCH wider (Nexus like width in the heel). If you're comparing the heel of the Vortex II to Graf 705's, I assume they tightened them up a bit. I've never used or tried on 705's, but I've read they're for an average heel. The original Vortex felt like it was for a wide heel. Then again, they had already been baked for someone elses foot when I tried them on; so that could've skewed my perception. 

Edited by althoma1

9 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

From the sounds of it, you should be in either a 10 or 9.5 Mako. The fact that they're too long may be causing some of the fit issues as you feet may not be in the right place in the skate. The widest part of your foot could be behind the widest part of the skate and the arch of your foot may not be lining up with the boot arch. Depending on the exact issues you're experiencing, width could also be a contributing factor - maybe you're in a 10.5D when a 9.5EE or 10EE would be the perfect fit. It's impossible to say without you baking and skating in  a different size, but hopefully the Vortex II's work well for you.

With all that said, you know that the Makos are a bit big. If we assume it's a half size then the Mako and Vortex sizing would line up. I tried on the original Vortex skates in 8.5D and they felt a half size too long for my feet. So I think 8 would be the correct length for me in Vortex and wear 8EE Makos. So I think Vortex and Mako sizing for length would be similar. Your experience is consistent with mine for the length.

With the original Vortex, I found the D to be a bit wider in the forefoot than the EE Mako and the heel to be MUCH wider (Nexus like width in the heel). If you're comparing the heel of the Vortex II to Graf 705's, I assume they tightened them up a bit. I've never used or tried on 705's, but I've read they're for an average heel. The original Vortex felt like it was for a wide heel. Then again, they had already been baked for someone elses foot when I tried them on; so that could've skewed my perception. 

Yeah your take sounds about right. I also tried on the original vortex and can say that the overall fit in the Vortex 2 is a lot better. There's definitely more volume and its less stiff in the top 3 eyelets. The heel is a bit tighter as well.

Regarding my fit in the Mako, I agree that I'm probably a 10EE. My biggest issue is that my right foot is substantially smaller everywhere (length and width) than my left foot, except for the heel. I got heel spurs from Graf 703's many moons ago. So I'm swimming in the Mako 10.5D and never actually got heel lock in the skate because my right heel is simply too wide. 

I'm very optimistic that they're going to work for me. I'm a bit concerned about moving from the pitch on the Mako to what appears to be a neutral to reverse pitch on the Vortex. I feel like the Mako pitch is a tad too aggressive for me, but I also don't like neutral or below. So I imagine my bias will show up in the review after I skate a few times. But again, I'm super excited about having a skate that fits both of my feet. I'm glad I stumbled across this board awhile back and found out about the Verbero skate because VH/True is nowhere near my budget. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JDhouston said:

I only see vortex and vortex pro on their site. I don’t see a Vortex 2. Interested in this skate because it looks to be available in a size 13 

Vortex II is a custom skate, it's under a different heading on their site.

4 hours ago, greenchris10 said:

Yeah your take sounds about right. I also tried on the original vortex and can say that the overall fit in the Vortex 2 is a lot better. There's definitely more volume and its less stiff in the top 3 eyelets. The heel is a bit tighter as well.

Regarding my fit in the Mako, I agree that I'm probably a 10EE. My biggest issue is that my right foot is substantially smaller everywhere (length and width) than my left foot, except for the heel. I got heel spurs from Graf 703's many moons ago. So I'm swimming in the Mako 10.5D and never actually got heel lock in the skate because my right heel is simply too wide. 

I'm very optimistic that they're going to work for me. I'm a bit concerned about moving from the pitch on the Mako to what appears to be a neutral to reverse pitch on the Vortex. I feel like the Mako pitch is a tad too aggressive for me, but I also don't like neutral or below. So I imagine my bias will show up in the review after I skate a few times. But again, I'm super excited about having a skate that fits both of my feet. I'm glad I stumbled across this board awhile back and found out about the Verbero skate because VH/True is nowhere near my budget. 

Yes, being able to get to different sized skates for $350 is a great deal. Custom skates from any other brand would be closer to $1000. Now, it's not built based completely on your measurements like others would be, but no one else offers two different stock sizes. With other brands you would have to pay for a complete custom option, buy two different pairs or fit the smaller foot and have the other boot punched and/or stretched. 

I believe there are two positions for the tongue and it adjusts with a snap button - have you tried adjusting the tongue to see if that helps with the feeling of the toe box being too shallow on the left skate?

Shallow might now be the right word usage...I mean length rather than height, if that makes sense. The front is pressing on my big toe a tad more than I'd prefer. Not a huge deal, just looking to split hairs I suppose. 

Is the toe box actually shorter on the left skate or is your left foot just a bit longer than the right? It's not uncommon to have one foot a little longer than the other.  EDIT: I forgot you ordered two different sized skates because one foot is significantly smaller. I believe you have the bigger size for your left foot so you definitely have a significant size difference between your two feet. Custom certainly makes sense for you.

Edited by althoma1

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Verbero's website has 50% off with code thankyou50. So if anyone wanted to try out their skates now might be the time. Note they are under new ownership though.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:58 PM, Hills said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Verbero's website has 50% off with code thankyou50. So if anyone wanted to try out their skates now might be the time. Note they are under new ownership though.

Didn't know they change management. Was trying to order some skates from there but was instructed to email them for shipping quotation on their site.

FYI - the Cypress Pro+ ice skate is down to $200 today and the Pro ice skate is $150 if you use the code VIS50 on Hockeytron.com. They're advertising it as a 50% off sale, but the skates were already dropped down to $399 and $299 respectively, which I believe is already 50% off of their original price. So it's really 75% off the original prices. The code doesn't seem to work in the Cypress inline skates; it only works on the ice skates.

I believe it's a one day sale only; I just received the Hockeytron email promoting the offer a few minutes ago and it says it expires Oct 4th (I don't know if that means it's good until the end of Oct 4th or is only good through today and expires when the clock strikes midnight; it's promoted as a daily special so I'd lean toward the later). 

• Like 1

The sale is tempting, but has anyone tried the Cypress pro or Pro+?  Very little info out there beyond what's already in the thread

On 10/3/2018 at 9:35 AM, althoma1 said:

FYI - the Cypress Pro+ ice skate is down to $200 today and the Pro ice skate is $150 if you use the code VIS50 on Hockeytron.com. They're advertising it as a 50% off sale, but the skates were already dropped down to $399 and $299 respectively, which I believe is already 50% off of their original price. So it's really 75% off the original prices. The code doesn't seem to work in the Cypress inline skates; it only works on the ice skates.

I believe it's a one day sale only; I just received the Hockeytron email promoting the offer a few minutes ago and it says it expires Oct 4th (I don't know if that means it's good until the end of Oct 4th or is only good through today and expires when the clock strikes midnight; it's promoted as a daily special so I'd lean toward the later).