Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sergei

Bauer Lighspeed Edge issue

Anyone have issues with LS2 steel not fitting in Bauer Lighspeed Edge holders? My Bauer X600 originally came with L steel and LS2 steel does not fit. A sports shop gave me L steel from another pair of skates but it almost takes a hammer to get that replacement steel in. Any suggestions?

Lightspeed 2 comes in both "standard" and "Edge" versions. You're using the "Edge" one, right?  Should not take a hammer. I snap mine right in, with a towel over the runner to protect my hand from an accidental slip.

Chances are, the LS2 is slightly thicker than the steel you are replacing. I had a similar issue when swapping out the fusion steel for LS2 steel.

Might be worth checking to make sure your holders are aligned properly, just in case.

30 seconds with a heat gun on low will expand the holder enough to snap the steel in. Don't overdo it or you'll melt the holder.

I have three pairs of LSE holders, two require a LOT of effort to get steel in. The other doesn't.

9 hours ago, DRR said:

Lightspeed 2 comes in both "standard" and "Edge" versions. You're using the "Edge" one, right?  Should not take a hammer. I snap mine right in, with a towel over the runner to protect my hand from an accidental slip.

Lightspeed 2 is fixed runner holder. Lightspeed Edge is the with the swappable Edge runners. Both are completely different holders.

Like ^ and ^^ said probably sticky holders. Unfortunately Bauer's Lightspeed Edge holders and runners seem to suffer from lack of precision in manufacturing. (Personal opinion from observations not proven by any statistical analysis... and yes I'm in Lightspeed Edge and don't plan to change it in any foreseeable future)

3 hours ago, GloriousLeader said:

Lightspeed 2 is fixed runner holder. Lightspeed Edge is the with the swappable Edge runners. Both are completely different holders.

Like ^ and ^^ said probably sticky holders. Unfortunately Bauer's Lightspeed Edge holders and runners seem to suffer from lack of precision in manufacturing. (Personal opinion from observations not proven by any statistical analysis... and yes I'm in Lightspeed Edge and don't plan to change it in any foreseeable future)

He is referring to the LS2 steel; which is available for both the LS2 and LS Edge holders.

Spoke to Bauer (gotta go through the retailer line - they will not talk to you if you're a mere mortal customer), they said it's a tolerances issue. They Offered to fix it by either swapping out the skates or paying to rivet in a new set of holders. Either is a bit of an overkill. Think I'll just use the two sets of S steel ( not LS) since the LS2 steel available commercially does not fit. Alas, Bauer - make better stuff if you charge like you do! 

I've been out of the new gear race for a while enjoting my old gear but it's time for an upgrade so a stupid question:

can I still use my Ls2 shaped blackedge runners in LS Edge holder? Just trying to see if I can at least reuse the runners when I buy new skates which all come with edge holders it seems?!

thanks!

Unfortunately LS2 Blackedge runner won't fit in LS Edge holder. Bauer has patent on LS Edge pattern and doesn't allow aftermarket replacement runners. Same reason you can't get Step runners for LS Edge.

2 hours ago, SolarWind said:

I've been out of the new gear race for a while enjoting my old gear but it's time for an upgrade so a stupid question:

can I still use my Ls2 shaped blackedge runners in LS Edge holder? Just trying to see if I can at least reuse the runners when I buy new skates which all come with edge holders it seems?!

thanks!

No, the Ls2 shaped steel is not compatible with the Edge holders. 

this sucks...

I was hoping there is a hole to feed the bolt through as in LS2 so that that LS2 runners could be reused in Edge holders...

so what are ppl doing who still want to use Step or BlackEdge? swap holders?

12 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

this sucks...

I was hoping there is a hole to feed the bolt through as in LS2 so that that LS2 runners could be reused in Edge holders...

Yes.

14 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

this sucks...

Either they swap holders or they try the LS4 steel, which is made of a harder steel and has a slightly different profile. 

On 5/17/2016 at 5:53 PM, SolarWind said:

this sucks...

They purchase LS Edge runners that have the Blackedge coating.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:59 AM, jimmy said:

They purchase LS Edge runners that have the Blackedge coating.

Bringing the old topic back:

Has anyone found a way to purchase blackedge/carbon coated LS3/LS4 runners that fit into LS Edge holders?
the situation seems to be getting progressively worse, they used to pop on ebay and supposedly Blackedge would coat your own runners if you shipped these to them, but both sources seemed to have dried up so are there any other options left?!
LS4 is by far not as good as blackedge in my experience hence the question - my son is on the ice often and it's a hassle for me to sharpen his skates all the time :(

Good question because I have been looking also and found the same thing. A LHS is my country has the distribution rights but has never carried any stock and won't do anything to get them in despite my endless requests, it sucks. Hopefully Jimmy might chime in as to what is going on, No Icing used to have them but I see they are all sold out except 306.  Maybe blackedge are focusing on their new lines of sticks and shoulder pads.

7 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Good question because I have been looking also and found the same thing. A LHS is my country has the distribution rights but has never carried any stock and won't do anything to get them in despite my endless requests, it sucks. Hopefully Jimmy might chime in as to what is going on, No Icing used to have them but I see they are all sold out except 306.  Maybe blackedge are focusing on their new lines of sticks and shoulder pads.

We have Blackedge coated LS2 Edges, but sold out of LS3s. Blackedges new owners are not coating.

On 9/15/2016 at 0:21 PM, GloriousLeader said:

I gave up and learned to "love" my LS4 runner. It's a love hate relationship.

In time, I'll forget about my crush with Step steel and all will be well.... whelps.

Me too. I just sold an old pair of Bauer's that had Step V-Steel and purchased new skates and a couple of pairs of LS4's. Now trying to figure out how many hours we can go per sharpening.

14 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Me too. I just sold an old pair of Bauer's that had Step V-Steel and purchased new skates and a couple of pairs of LS4's. Now trying to figure out how many hours we can go per sharpening.

not that many apparently, it looks like after one week (2 practices, 4 games , something like 5 hrs of total ice time) LS4 loses the edge. Fairly shallow hollow (9/16) and a light player (150 lbs), and the ice isn't that hard yet - still warm outside...

blackedge lasted like 10 times longer :/

Sure, I guess saying they're "losing their edge" is a bit different for each skater. It's like telling me how many miles you get on a set of tires maybe. I know people who replace a set tires when they're down to 5/16 and others that run them past the wear bars. Maybe that's a bad analogy.