Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RickDC

Bauer Helmets... Virginia Tech Ratings...

7 hours ago, fcalog said:

The short answer is size; they can fit more technologies in there.  At first there were very few 5 star rated helmets but companies were able adjust to the criteria that VT mandated as relevant in helmet protection. as far as it pertained to football.  I am pretty sure if you had football size helmets in hockey they would be able to deal with rotational impacts much better, but who would want to skate with a beach ball on their head.

That's a great point. Didn't realize football helmets are that much larger than hockey ones. Makes sense though given how much they hit their heads. 

Found an interesting article about the VT rating system. Basically says that Parents are demanding that their kids only use a 5 star helmet so at the end of the article the CEO of schutt says they are making they're helmets for the 5 star rating, not sure if thats a good thing or not but TBD I guess http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-01-28/the-controversial-safety-ratings-that-sell-football-helmets

10 hours ago, fcalog said:

The short answer is size; they can fit more technologies in there.  At first there were very few 5 star rated helmets but companies were able adjust to the criteria that VT mandated as relevant in helmet protection. as far as it pertained to football.  I am pretty sure if you had football size helmets in hockey they would be able to deal with rotational impacts much better, but who would want to skate with a beach ball on their head.

Pascal Dupuis would hahaha

d1098eb1eb51ae996f21d06ca1ffc07e.jpg  

On 3/31/2016 at 3:45 PM, RickDC said:

Thanks Chippa... I'm aware that Bauer was told not to use misleading marketing information.. However, what's worrying was the non-response from Bauer. Their wording of:

"Expertly applied with a complete fit system to deliver an enhanced level of protection on the ice. Featuring the SUSPEND-TECH 2 liner with FleXorb and VTX Technology with SEVEN+ for optimal impact management."

Not very optimal when their latest helmet, the 100, performs worse than the original ReAkt ;-) And both are 1 star (marginal) according to Virginia Tech..

The point I'm trying to raise, is not one of the helmets, but the fact that Bauer hasn't even bothered to reply..

The problem here is you are taking VT findings as gospel. And that is a major problem. As discussed they used modified football testing methods that are totally different from what hockey uses for head forms and so on. The findings would have been skued no matter what. Maybe its just a slight bit maybe its a lot we will never know. 

As for Bauer responding they never would to that question as they have legally answered by sending a press release the best you could hope for is a copy of that release. And to be honest a company that has as many issues as it does now do you really expect an answer .....just saying.

So it is my understanding that VT and the Dr behind the 5 star rating is now having a few law suits coming his way. A couple of players wearing  **5 STAR** rated helmets have died while playing football. Nothing is to public I can find but source says there is at least 3.

20 hours ago, Xero117 said:

Interestingly that doesn't look all that big compared to a hockey helmet 

On 4/4/2016 at 4:28 PM, thehomez said:

Interestingly that doesn't look all that big compared to a hockey helmet 

That's because that helmet isn't 5 star rated.....

On 4/4/2016 at 8:17 PM, Xero117 said:

Interestingly that doesn't look all that big compared to a hockey helm

17 hours ago, zebra_steve said:

That's because that helmet isn't 5 star rated.....

Haha! 

Interesting to see the RE-AKT 75 scoring among the highest, whereas its predecessor IMS7.0 scored 2nd lowest.  I have (2) Cascade M11's, the IMS 7.0's predecessor, as it was the only helmet at its time that felt truly comfortable on my wide but short front-to-back noggin (think Stewie Griffin).  The RE-AKT just does not seem wide enough on me compared to the M11 or the IMS7.0, pressuring the area above the temples due to the redesigned shell.

Any existing or former IMS7.0/M11 users out there that have come across a current generation helmet that's comparable in fit for fatheads like me?  Thinking about getting an IMS 7.0 on closeout to replace my oldest M11, as I only play shinny at a speed where there's less chance of concussion to start with. 

The ratings are mostly irrelevant so just get what is comfortable. If that's a close out model from a few years ago then so be it. 

I would take the Virginia Tech STAR ratings with a grain of salt; they have completely different ratings for the Reebok 11k and CCM FitLite helmets even though those helmets are identical for all intents and purposes. Only difference is slightly different gel pads on the inside that are about two millimetres thick, which I'd say is negligible. This leads me to believe there are some flaws in the testing, but I am glad they are trying to make hockey helmet protection ratings. 

54 minutes ago, titan1234 said:

Interesting to see the RE-AKT 75 scoring among the highest, whereas its predecessor IMS7.0 scored 2nd lowest.  I have (2) Cascade M11's, the IMS 7.0's predecessor, as it was the only helmet at its time that felt truly comfortable on my wide but short front-to-back noggin (think Stewie Griffin).  The RE-AKT just does not seem wide enough on me compared to the M11 or the IMS7.0, pressuring the area above the temples due to the redesigned shell.

Any existing or former IMS7.0/M11 users out there that have come across a current generation helmet that's comparable in fit for fatheads like me?  Thinking about getting an IMS 7.0 on closeout to replace my oldest M11, as I only play shinny at a speed where there's less chance of concussion to start with. 

the only helmet I found that fit my head well is the warrior krown. I have the 360 and I found that every other  helmet I tried wasn't wide enough for my head. If it was wide enough it was too long and would slide forward on my head. 

I I tried the reakt, ims 11, and the e700 and they were too tight. 

When the VT study came out there was a mad rush for the 360. I can't imagine that it fit everyone that bought it.

Give the warrior krown a try. 360s are harder to come by but I imagine the lte should be coming down soon. 

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:42 PM, Ps12 said:

the only helmet I found that fit my head well is the warrior krown. I have the 360 and I found that every other  helmet I tried wasn't wide enough for my head. If it was wide enough it was too long and would slide forward on my head. 

I I tried the reakt, ims 11, and the e700 and they were too tight. 

When the VT study came out there was a mad rush for the 360. I can't imagine that it fit everyone that bought it.

Give the warrior krown a try. 360s are harder to come by but I imagine the lte should be coming down soon. 

Thanks for suggesting the Warrior.  Tried the Krown PX3, fit was doable, and could have gotten it for 25% off.  There was a Krown 360 at half off, however the glue for the foam padding that spans the side of the head down across the temples had come undone on both sides.  Same store had one IMS 7.0 white medium on clearance also at half off, plus another 5% off.  I got that one since the IMS 7.0 is just the M11 relabeled, and I knew my existing cages would fit,