Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

penguinpelts

Haglunds/Bauer Bump update

I tacked on to an old post recently about heel pain, AKA Haglund's, AKA the Bauer Bump, and wanted to give an update in case it would help anyone who faces this issue.

I've had my Vapor X4.0's for about 5-6 years, skating an average of once a week. I figured I would buy a solid pair for $200 for my beer league needs, plus some random pick-up or date skates with the wife. However, about a month ago, after playing games and walking back to the room, I noticed that the outside of my left heel would have this sharp pain, followed by some redness and swelling and sensitivity to walking or even wearing regular tennis shoes. I went and tried getting my skates baked again, because what the hell, if I need new skates I might as well try that first. It did not help at all. So, I'm leaning toward changing it up to Supremes. I've read that Supremes are for more of a full stride skater, not the quick feet profile Vapor boasts, which I am not. Hopefully the snug heel fit of the Supremes, and bumping up my price point a bit, will help with my pain.

If you are having this pain, I recommend stretching your Achilles/calf as much as you can, as that is what causes the Haglund's. That, along with rolling your foot on a baseball or a lacrosse ball and icing it periodically helped me dramatically.  That was until my new season started this past weekend. Same pain, same issue. So it looks like I'm going skate shopping soon.

In short: For those who may have the same pain, try the stretches I mentioned, and if anyone has any pointers for Supremes, bring em on.

sorry to hear about the heel pain, it doesn't sound fun.

Yes, Bauer has full stride claims of supremes and control for nexus, and blah blah..  I'm here to tell you, if you're anticipating a snug heel fit from supremes, youre going to be disappointed.

Basically a supreme D is a vapor E fit, so the entire boot, including the rounder, NOT V CUT heel, fits less snug than vapors. The comfort in supremes for a wide foot guy like myself, is unsurpassed,

I'm not a fan of the heel lock though. If i could have done it all again, I'd have custom ordered a smaller heel.

To  Zorlac's point, the Supreme boot doesn't taper like the Vapor does. Nonetheless, if the heel has been too small for you, thus causing your issue, the Supreme could be a step in the right direction. It doesn't hurt to give it a whirl.

From someone who changed from Vapors to Supremes because of haglunds, the difference is relative. I have severe haglunds to the point where I was going through multiple brands of shoes because it rubs even when I walk. 

It depends on the severity of your problem. I used Supremes and bunga pads, but the solution for me was to get custom skates. Again, it's relative since I don't know the severity of your problem. I would try honestly Nexus and bunga pads. The heel is very wide and you can always use a ratchet clamp when baking if it is too wide. It's much harder to punch the heel out of a Supreme skate if it is too narrow still. 

I would also look into some soft backing shoes if it bothers you when walking. I use Brooks Beast because I have overpronation and flat feet as well as haglunds. For me Haglunds was so severe I wanted to give up hockey. Customs worked for me because I have very flat feet with a slightly different arch on my left foot and they cut out a spot for Haglunds. If the Nexus and bunga pads do not work over a period of time (it takes getting used to it) VH has custom skates at the same price of a top of the line model. 

Supremes are going to have a bigger heel pocket, so if you're getting heel lift in vapors switching to supremes will not make it any better. Its possible that bauer skates just don't fit you very well, maybe try CCM, jetspeeds have that tight heel and are reasonably priced, a lot of people seem to like them.

Another thing to try for Haglunds is bunga pads. A lot of people swear by them, lots of pros use them. 

http://www.bungapads.com/bunga-achilles-heel-pad-ahp.html

I can second Bunga products. While I don't use one for the heel, I use a lacebite one on my right ankle. It's extremely comfortable and the gel is top notch.

Thanks for the responses so far every body.

I was checking out some skates a few weeks ago, and a sales associate was telling me he had the same issue and Supremes helped get rid of it. Also, thanks for recommending Bungapads- I haven't heard of them before. I looked into getting insert gels but found that they are more blisters than Haglund's or more severe irritations.

4 hours ago, rawkstar said:

maybe try CCM, jetspeeds have that tight heel and are reasonably priced, a lot of people seem to like them.

Are CCM and Reebok the same across the board now? I know they merged, and my first pair of skates were Reebok that I thought did not hold up long enough, especially compared to my Bauers. But I'll definitely check them out.

Most of reebok just got rebranded as ccm, so reebok ribcor skates are now ccm ribcor skates. Reebok still makes cheap recreational gear, but otherwise all of their old stuff is now under ccm. Jetspeed and Tacks are original ccm lines. Some of the guys I play with have rbz, tacks and jetspeed skates, they all seem to like them, no issues, worth checking them out at least.

Whether or not Supremes will provide a better or worse heel lock, and thus likely alleviate or worsen your problem has everything to do with the shape and size of your heel and the area leading from your heel into your midfoot.  Generally, I'd say that if the rubbing is caused because your heel is too little, and thus floats about in the heel pocket, Supremes will not help.  If your heel is too big, and thus never fully settles into the heel pocket, the Supremes may be the ticket.

I think depth is also far too often ignored with these issues.  It could be that the vapor skates are too shallow for you, which leads you to tie extra tight with the tongue bulging out against the laces, causing you to get an artificial heel lock right when you start skating.  As you move more and more, the laces loosen/stretch ever so slightly, and your heel may start rubbing as a result. Supremes would also help for this aspect. Best of luck with everything.

52 minutes ago, jonesy9020 said:

Whether or not Supremes will provide a better or worse heel lock, and thus likely alleviate or worsen your problem has everything to do with the shape and size of your heel and the area leading from your heel into your midfoot.  Generally, I'd say that if the rubbing is caused because your heel is too little, and thus floats about in the heel pocket, Supremes will not help.  If your heel is too big, and thus never fully settles into the heel pocket, the Supremes may be the ticket.

I think depth is also far too often ignored with these issues.  It could be that the vapor skates are too shallow for you, which leads you to tie extra tight with the tongue bulging out against the laces, causing you to get an artificial heel lock right when you start skating.  As you move more and more, the laces loosen/stretch ever so slightly, and your heel may start rubbing as a result. Supremes would also help for this aspect. Best of luck with everything.

Damn dude, you pretty much nailed it right here. I had started realizing that my Vapors were loosening a little too much over the course of a game and would need to re-tighten and tie, but can't necessarily tell if my heel is moving around too much in my boot. I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to it.

I've been chalking a lot of this up to the fact that my skates have been perfect for 5 years, and only recently have been giving me trouble, so it's just wear and tear. And I think that I have pretty normal feet, nothing like a wide foot, high or low arches, anything like that which circles me back to wear and tear. But what you said about the tongue bulging and laces loosening are making sense the more that I think about it. Thanks Jonesy!

On 4/4/2016 at 7:29 PM, penguinpelts said:

Damn dude, you pretty much nailed it right here. I had started realizing that my Vapors were loosening a little too much over the course of a game and would need to re-tighten and tie, but can't necessarily tell if my heel is moving around too much in my boot. I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to it.

I've been chalking a lot of this up to the fact that my skates have been perfect for 5 years, and only recently have been giving me trouble, so it's just wear and tear. And I think that I have pretty normal feet, nothing like a wide foot, high or low arches, anything like that which circles me back to wear and tear. But what you said about the tongue bulging and laces loosening are making sense the more that I think about it. Thanks Jonesy!

If that's the issue have you tried wax laces and also lacing them over under? It'll help keep your laces from loosening up and keep the heel lock 

On 4/4/2016 at 7:29 PM, penguinpelts said:

If you have bony ankles, you can use a ratchet clamp when baking. Can be difficult but doesn't hurt to try

23 hours ago, Jordan said:

OTG fitted my skinny heel/ankled son for a pair of Vh skates...they are simply amazing.....he is very happy!

Skinny heel/ankle doesn't = haglunds if that's what you're referring to.